Skip to content

Top scorer

With our glut of attacking options, I thought it would be interesting to see who everyone expects to finish as our top scorer this season, in all competitions.

Personally, I think everyone is going to get a decent amount of minutes overall, and that there will be 3-4 scorers clustered within a couple of goals of each other. Despite his (up to now) reputation for not being clinical, I am going to go with Alex Samuel, closely followed by Bayo and Smyth.

Poll not found

Comments

• Paul Smyth for me.

Bit optimistic including Pattison. I don't think he's ever scored a goal in any professional competition.

• Paul Smyth - 17+

• That's on the assumption QPR don't have/make use of a recall clause.

• Fred for me...repaying gareth's faith.

• Well, as of today, four of our five league goals have been scored by new signings. Good job, Gareth!

• Fred will be our 20+ striker that will see us having a mid table finish

• Wheeler as another outside bet if we have a few players on 10-15 rather than one runaway winner

• Fred without a doubt.
      Looked on absolute fire in the first half yesterday.

• @braywanderer said:
      Fred will be our 20+ striker that will see us having a mid table finish

If Fred knocks in 20+ I think higher than mid-table. Between 6th and 10th. Because if Fred hits 20 there’ll be plenty from others to ensure we win a decent number of games.

• @Manboobs said:

@braywanderer said:

If Fred knocks in 20+ I think higher than mid-table. Between 6th and 10th. Because if Fred hits 20 there’ll be plenty from others to ensure we win a decent number of games.

I always err on the side of caution when Wycombe are concerned

• @braywanderer said:

@Manboobs said:

@braywanderer said:

I always err on the side of caution when Wycombe are concerned

A wise man. I reckon Fred top scores on 14 and we finish 12th.

• Fred for me with 14

• Seeing as top scorer was mentioned in another thread, I thought it a good time to update this. The only players with more than two goals (per BBC):

Bayo: 5
      JJ: 5
      Kashket: 4
      Fred: 4

Two things strike me here - firstly, how good is JJ to be vying for top scorer for the second year in a row, especially with Bayo having scored more penalties than him? Secondly, Fred would probably be up around 7-8 now, if not for injury, so if he gets to play a decent chunk of the remaining season, I would probably make him the favourite.

• Shame about Fred. My understanding is that he incurred a groin strain very early in the season, possibly played it down a bit (as a keen young player would), was well on the road to recovery but aggravated it in training. Let’s hope he makes a full recovery and, as you say @Shev, plays a decent chunk of the rest of the season.

• One in three games for Smyth. If he'd stayed fit, I might not have been far off... I'm clutching at straws here.

• I believe there were 16 votes for Paul Smyth and 45 for Fred, a disparity no doubt strongly influenced by our relative ignorance of Paul’s goalscoring potential compared with our happy memories of Fred’s prodigious efforts here as a 17 year old and his marginally less impressive record in the first half of last season.

• Definitely worth Fred taking a lot longer than needed with our other options.

Once he's back he needs to stay back as he's in the "game changer" folder

• edited November 2019

Yes definitely another benefit from the options available between the strikers is that noone needs to rush back from an injury because they are needed to fill the bench.
      Over the length of the season that should mean we are in a better place to remain competitive right through till May, although we do seem to have had a lot of injuries to the strikers so far.
      I'd go for Fred as top scorer this season, but it really will depend on who gets fit and plays (obviously) as they are all capable of scoring goals at this level.

• Confused as to how kashket hasn’t worn this vote ?????????????

• If he was definitely going to start every week it'd be a no brainer.

I'm sticking with Fred. He's still only 1 goal off top having missed about 2months all in!

• I’m sure he’d wear it well @georgesims. And no apologies to Rod “Tools” Stewart.

• Georgie, why are 95% of your posts about Kashket?

• @Malone said:
      Georgie, why are 95% of your posts about Kashket?

He’s my favourite player in the team, big fan of him, also a big fan on bayo but then again, who isn’t

• edited November 2019

I am still a little bitter that JJ's hattrick was not more heralded. In his interview with Phil, @oilysailor stated that statistically, it is unlikely a defender will ever score a hattrick which includes two direct corners, ever again. In other words, we saw something almost improbable to the point of impossible. I can only imagine if Messi or Ronaldo had done it, despite not even being defenders - the press would still be feeding them grapes and fanning them with ostrich feathers as we speak.

It's hard enough that the lower leagues do not receive enough attention, support and coverage from the press. But when we have something so worthy of admiration and praise happen, mostly to the sound of silence, it is a little frustrating, especially when it is eschewed in favour of endless boring articles about the latest goings on at Old Trafford, or whether Man City or Liverpool will win the race down the red carpet.

• Seeing the extraordinary is a feature of watching Wycombe though @Shev. Think that’d the 4th I’ve witnessed that falls into that once in a lifetime unlikely event

• JJ with an assist and a goal (so far) on his 33rd birthday, many happy returns!

• 500th appearance too!