Skip to content

Investment and Marlowchair

Comments

• Apologies to Micra but predictive text turned my know into a no in my post above. I’ll do a hundred lines.

• @DevC said:
    ...but my view is that the US deal would likely have completed had the long Harman delay not taken place...

And the long Harman delay would not have happened if the board had told him they were accepting bids when Bill and Jim were sniffing. So it's the board's fault.

And the board might have told Andrew Harman the truth if it wasn't for Andrew Howard's dislike of him. So it's Andrew Howard's fault.

And Andrew Howard wouldn't be at the club if he didn't happen to live next door to Ivor Beeks. So it's Ivor Beeks' fault.

If we're playing "pick your own personal bogeyman and find a way to blame them" then you could juggle this anyway you like. You've chosen Harman as your bogeyman, not sure we needed yet another post where you lay out your "reasoning".

• It always comes back to Beeks in the end. It’s been that way since the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.

Shame you don't make a worthwhile contribution to it!

• We never saw the US bid @DevC so we'll never know if 75% would have voted for it so I'm not sure the Harman bid such as it was in the end made that much difference.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Unpopular though it is to say so, I think Dev might be close to the truth in at least some of his speculation above. It is indisputable that the Andy Harman bid led to a delay. The Trust board clearly felt that his offer was worthy of serious consideration and that prolonged the process. Whether the Americans would have withdrawn even if there hadn’t been a delay, no one could possibly no.
    I also have it on good authority that at least one of the gasroom posters condemning the Trust board and promoting Andy’s bid was a former employee of the club who apparently had an axe to grind over his/her departure.

Not sure they were an employee but definitely an outed trust/board/voted on guy.
    That was no secret. They were outed on here! Hence my post a page or two back saying that guy's motivation was beyond obvious. But marlow chairs was still to be discovered

• @Wendoverman said:
    You can tell it's the summer when we are arguing about things none of us have any real idea or knowledge about and getting righteously angry and aggrieved! Long petrol on the fire post from @DevC ! Gasroom at its finest!

Im certainly confused as two posters i presumed were the same person are arguing with each other!

• @mooneyman said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    I am thoroughly enjoying this thread.

Shame you don't make a worthwhile contribution to it!

Oooooohhhh

• Some threads are really just a spectator sport. There are enough people fanning the flames in different directions for some of us to sit back from our lofty perches, sip our beers and watch it glare away.

Rest assured when it starts to just smoulder along there will be some of us to stir up the embers looking for more heat.

• I > @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Unpopular though it is to say so, I think Dev might be close to the truth in at least some of his speculation above. It is indisputable that the Andy Harman bid led to a delay. The Trust board clearly felt that his offer was worthy of serious consideration and that prolonged the process. Whether the Americans would have withdrawn even if there hadn’t been a delay, no one could possibly no.
    I also have it on good authority that at least one of the gasroom posters condemning the Trust board and promoting Andy’s bid was a former employee of the club who apparently had an axe to grind over his/her departure.

Not sure they were an employee but definitely an outed trust/board/voted on guy.
    That was no secret. They were outed on here! Hence my post a page or two back saying that guy's motivation was beyond obvious. But marlow chairs was still to be discovered
    I know who you are referring to Malone but I’m talking about a different person.

• Ahh, now that is interesting Mr @glasshalffull

• I’m not generally one to fan flames or indeed to inflame fans but I would just like to make a couple of comments on silly little details.

One or two posters, including my good friend @Malone, have started putting “Mr” in front of usernames. Not necessary and potentially misgendered (ugh!).

I did spot the predictive “no” @glasshalffull but recognised it as such. No lines needed! But I’m going to commit minor lèse-majesté by saying that I still struggle a bit to identify your own comments on comments you are quoting because the two generally merge into a single block of text. (I’m too incompetent with the technology to advise on how to keep them apart

I’ve long admired the sheer persistence (if not durability) and eloquence of @DevC’s submissions but I wish he could use the correct spelling for the past tense of “lead”; it’s “led”, unlike the past tense of “read”. Bloody English language.

Surely a major factor in the decision of Bill and Jim to withdraw their bid was the slide towards relegation when the January window closed and therefore the prospects of a push towards the Championship were dramatically reduced.

• Micra, I hang my head in shame by making the awful admission that I, too, am technologically incompetent so I have no idea how to separate my response from the original post. Perhaps one of our more savvy correspondents could kindly explain.
    Regarding Bill and Jim, I can only say that I met them both on a couple of occasions and they struck me as perfectly reasonable and trustworthy guys. I also spoke to several people who knew them well and heard nothing untoward. I also have no idea why they backed out.

• I thought Bill and Jim said that other unexpected projects in America had arisen and therefore they were unable to take on our club (they could be lying as Dev would say!).

Personally, I think that they eventually determined we are a "basket case".

• @micra , it's according the individual a bit of respect. Innit. And only to those who are clearly identifying as male.

And as long as the @ reference is done correctly, all good.
    Unlike the clowns who do the @ but leave a space, like @ micra, which they must realise doesn't actually tag the person in!

• @glasshalffull said:
    Micra, I hang my head in shame by making the awful admission that I, too, am technologically incompetent so I have no idea how to separate my response from the original post. Perhaps one of our more savvy correspondents could kindly explain.
    Regarding Bill and Jim, I can only say that I met them both on a couple of occasions and they struck me as perfectly reasonable and trustworthy guys. I also spoke to several people who knew them well and heard nothing untoward. I also have no idea why they backed out.

You're a gent of a certain age, and fully respectful and all that, but I'd genuinely be interested to hear of anyone in football, who you DON'T think is reasonable, trustworthy, doing things for the best etc.

• Malone, if you agree to pay my legal bills I could give you a long list of people in football that you wouldn’t want as your next door neighbour. I’m tempted to leave it at that, but I’m going to be mischievous and hint that one of them stood on the touchline at Adams Park last season but won’t be there next season.
    By the way, the vast majority of people that I’ve met in the game are indeed reasonable and trustworthy human beings.
    On your general point, I’ve often been accused of being cynical and never been called naive, but I do confess to treating people with respect. I think the Twitter age has led to a serious decline in how we respond to those with opposing views and I don’t like it.

• That wouldn't be a certain Scotsman, recently living in the South West would it @glasshalffull...?

• I’ll leave you to guess Jonny but let’s just say you’re on the right track!

• Getting controversial now Glassy ;)

• As long as he didn't mind BBQs, would lend me his lawnmower and let me wave my phone light at him over the fence, I would not mind a football manager as a neighbour.

• You don't have to think that Bill and Jim were lying to understand that when they realized investing in a football club was not as straightforward as investing in a MiLB franchise they also realized they had extra work commitments in the States.

• Urgh, imagine living next to Sam Allardyce? I bet he's a horrific neighbour. Jurgen Klopp would be alright I reckon. Steve McClaren would be like Jim from Friday Night Dinner.

• @Wendoverman said:
    As long as he didn't mind BBQs, would lend me his lawnmower and let me wave my phone light at him over the fence, I would not mind a football manager as a neighbour.

Neither would l as it would mean my income had likely improved significantly - or my neighbour was managing a pub team.

I imagine Gareth is an excellent neighbour. Superb taste in music and cars for a start and I bet his lawnmower is the mutt’s nuts.

• edited June 2019

Roy Keane lives next door and his dog keeps getting in and crapping on your lawn, which is over-grown as he borrowed your mower two years ago and made no effort to return it, but every time you get yourself fired up to talk to him about it and you see him getting out of his car, which he parks on YOUR drive as his wife needs their space for her 4x4, he looks like he wants to kill someone.

• Brilliant (yet again) @Wendoverman and I’ve countered the ?? from some humourless ignoramus.

• As apparently someone else has. My money on @Jonny_King.

• s'ok I usually join in with a couple of thumbs down on my posts if I see any anyway.

• @Malone said:
    Getting controversial now Glassy ;)

Getting disrespectful @Malone .

• edited June 2019

The Romans would be highly interested to see the legacy of their thumbs up/down (though to be fair, the origins are disputed).

Roman: "I did not like the way that gladiator fought."

Gasroomer: "I did not like Wendoverman's humour."