Skip to content

500 Club

Comments

• @YorkExile said:
    As an aside (and related to my convoluted train of thought), what proportion of contributors do we think are either season ticket holders or regular attendees of home games? I suspect that there will be rather a lot of contributors that do not/cannot fall into this category, and wish to support the club in this way instead.

I'm certainly in that bracket. Can't get to many games these days (and so no longer have a ST, obviously) so this is a godsend for me.

• I get down to as many games as I can but living in Yorkshire with a heart condition doesn’t make it easy which is why I contribute and why I asked the club sometime ago if the scheme was going to restart for this season.

• Full respect to everyone who puts any extra money into the club. You guys are absolute credits to the club.

• Thanks for the update, Alan (Cecil).
    I’m going to make an offer. I’ll offer the full amount but I want 10% of the average home crowd to join the 500 Club. Otherwise, I’m out.

PS wrote this in the wake of Alan’s post then left me phone on the bed for eight hours. Thought it was hilarious at the time. Now I’m not so sure. Like the man who used to be decisive.

• I gave it a like son. Although that only cancelled out the minus!!

• Thanks @Malone. You’re a brick.

• @micra I laughed. Sadly my season ticket and my other outgoings make another regular DD this season untenable...but kudos to all of those throwing in.

• And stemetil to all those throwing up.

• @micra said:
    And stemetil to all those throwing up.

You mean the final week of angry spluttering about non-signings and we're going down?

• @micra said:
    And stemetil to all those throwing up.

I would suggest that you don't use these tablets @micra, as a common side effect is missed menstrual periods!

• I did wonder why I wasn’t having them. I couldn’t conceive what was happening or, rather, not happening.

• As another (North) Yorkshire exile, and only get to mostly northern games, really pleased to do my little bit and sign up to the 500 Club. Hope it gets 500 or more and smashes £120K

• GA has got to be buzzing right now. What a wonderful, unified club. 'One Wycombe' indeed...

To me, this is the kind of thing that should be a big story, rather than the usual articles on how Manchester United are going to rebuild, or how wonderful Pep Guardiola's stubble is.

• @AlanCecil said:

@mooneyman said:
    @FmG - If that is correct it is ridiculous. Why can't I pay my £240 now, surely it is an advantage for the club to get the money up front.

You will be able to do that very soon. We are just waiting for a new account to be set up with Worldpay as we have switched from Make A Donation who we used last time.
    Hopefully within a day or two, we will be able to accept the lump sum payments.

No sign yet Alan, looks like I won't be eligible for the breakfast!

Amazes me that a cash strapped club like us makes it so hard for supporters to donate the full sum. We don't all want to set up monthly direct debits.

• Not sure how this welcome scheme has already generated a full on moan. Have some patience @mooneyman . Sometimes delays are not peoples fault.

• @mooneyman said:

@AlanCecil said:

@mooneyman said:
    @FmG - If that is correct it is ridiculous. Why can't I pay my £240 now, surely it is an advantage for the club to get the money up front.

You will be able to do that very soon. We are just waiting for a new account to be set up with Worldpay as we have switched from Make A Donation who we used last time.
    Hopefully within a day or two, we will be able to accept the lump sum payments.

No sign yet Alan, looks like I won't be eligible for the breakfast!

Amazes me that a cash strapped club like us makes it so hard for supporters to donate the full sum. We don't all want to set up monthly direct debits.

I have chased this up and awaiting a response.

• If it’s WorldPay you’re waiting on we might have to wait for the 23/24 season. They’re an absolute shower.

• On another thread, I was asked about whether I have joined the 500 club. I always try to answer questions, so here goes.

No I will not be joining it. I do contribute to charities - perhaps not as much as I should but an amount I am comfortable with. By my values, the 500 club is akin to charity and frankly if I can afford to give more to charity, I would target that at causes I see as more important to the world than a football club. I respect those who form a different opinion. But in all honesty that is mine.

As I live a long way away, localish opponents seem to be increasingly rare and my nonfootball trips to the SE decreasing, that means my financial contribution this season to the club is likely to be an odd game and a few Tuesday night Iplayer thingys. No doubt yet more abuse will follow as a result.

Or you could just talk about the 500 club....................

• All of that is fine @DevC as long as you realise your lack of live matches and financial input will reflect directly in all your comments and opinions about the club and the team.

Maybe you'll understand that such responses are based on those things rather than just aggression and rudeness. Those that give time, money and sometimes sweat don't appreciate being told what to think by someone who treats the club like a low grade charity.

• Basic principles of life @Right_in_the_Middle
    1) No one can ever to be told what to think.
    2) Anyone is entitled to hold and express an opinion about anything they choose regardless of finances (subject only to very limited limitations re for example excessive hurt or offence)
    3) Anyone else is entitled to choose for themselves whether or not to pay that opinion any heed.

For what it is worth I would pay little heed to someone in my position's opinion about who should play say at right back. I would listen and judge on their merits their opinion
    on say ownership. Just me though.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Not sure how this welcome scheme has already generated a full on moan. Have some patience @mooneyman . Sometimes delays are not peoples fault.

It is not a moan. Just seems to me a surprise that any professional organisation asks for money and then doesn't set up a process at the outset for individuals to pay it, other than by monthly direct debit.

• Re: 1) @DevC. We spend our lives being told what to think. Sadly too many people seem to have lost the ability to actually think for themselves (along with any sense of humour).

Now what time is Love Island on....

I’ve adopted a balanced approach to contributing to the 500 club. I will pay for it by reducing my monthly intake of beer by 7.5 pints. Not only do I get the joy of having contributed to a right-sided defender/midfielder who can hoof the ball out of play 70 yards away I also hopefully postpone my inevitable reliance on the NHS (as sponsored by Pfizer). Win-Win

• @bookertease - you may be the first fan Wycombe have driven AWAY from drink!

• Forget the 500 club, I want to know where you can get 7.5 pints for 20 quid!

• @DevC I see comments from you mostly like the ones above and 'unfollow' you. I then reinstate you for a spell and more stuff follows so off I go again. I struggle to understand why you post on Gasroom when some if the stuff causes you such angst. I am also confused as to why you post when you are clearly not a very regular attender of games. I too give money to other charities but am also a fan of this club of ours and want to help.

• Perfectly reasonable stuff Dev, the 500 club is not going to be for everyone.

But you have to realise that in a debate about club finances you, who have contributed next to nothing financially for years, and a fan who year in year out spends hundreds, even thousands supporting the club and hours and hours travelling up and down the country to do so are not equal participants.

• @eric_plant said:
    Forget the 500 club, I want to know where you can get 7.5 pints for 20 quid!

You can get 7.5 pints for under £4 in the Ukraine.

• On the subject of the 500 club, this is wonderful from Gaz. He really does just get it doesn't he?

Contrast this with @glasshalffull whose immediate reaction was to be critical that not enough supporters had signed up

• Gareth is pure class.

He'll praise our fans travelling, even if there's only 23 of them there.

• Eric, that’s a very unfair comment. I said that it was a great start to the initiative but represented only a small percentage of our regular support-fact. I said that we all needed to spread the word-what’s wrong with that?