Skip to content

Comments

• Won't happen but how about free admission to ST holders ? Other clubs do it The early part of the season is littered with home games when you can't use your ST friendlies League Cup Mickey Mouse cup. Doesn't help sales imo

• Would it being free entry make any difference to whether a season ticket holder decided to go?

• I can speak for myself ,yes

• Buying a season ticket gets about half a dozen league games free doesn't it?

• edited May 2019

I'd imagine it's mostly the obsessives (STHs) who go to these drab encounters anyway, so giving free entry would surely risk making them loss makers?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Would it being free entry make any difference to whether a season ticket holder decided to go?

It would leave you more spare cash for crisps!

• I thought the point of friendlies was to generate a bit of cash early in the season but if not I demand to be allowed in free with those bloody kids and OAPS.

• we have no money and suggesting making things we can charge for free ??? Im glad @mr67 isn't incharge of club finances !!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I thought the point of friendlies was to generate a bit of cash early in the season but if not I demand to be allowed in free with those bloody kids and OAPS.

Quite.
    I wonder how many floating fans friendlies draw in?
    It's surely the "can't deal with a few weeks without football" brigade who eat them up?

• Other clubs do this or allow free admission to a home cup game. It generates a bit of good will and gets maybe a few waverers to buy by the the date of the first friendly . Once in the ground people buy food ,drink and programmes If there not there in the first place you don't sell these As I stated before you buy a ST and can't use it for a large number of home games early season. Being a little imaginative is healthy as opposed to we have always done it this way. You say your glad I'm not in charge of the clubs finances but admit those who are have us in a position we where we have no money so maybe the current practises need looking at

• edited May 2019

MR67, i wonder if you looked at the specifics of the price, whether they get as many "free" league games into the bargain.

Do you have any example clubs? I'll have a look into it if you can give me a name?
    If you mean Premier league clubs, I'd imagine their season ticket prices are basically, the price of a game x number of games...ie no discount.

• I must admit I haven't been able to make all of the friendlies the last few years so no idea what sort of attendance there is...perhaps one of the diehards willing to pay up for such glamour ties in order to size up our new star players can advise, but as others have said, I doubt people who do not usually attend would be tempted in necessarily by a Brentford game free or no. If we were playing Man City (ha ha I know...or rather their under-12s) @Mr67 would you still want entry to be free?

• Friendlies against glamour puss Premier league teams used to be a good pull.

But these days, there's usually a tournament or a tour that means the top players aren't there anyway.

• Yarp..last one I went to was when Ruth scored a hat-trick against a Chelsea side full of names (I'd never heard of). Wonder when he will be back?

• To be fair this would have been the first season where season tickets would have arrived in time to for a pre-season friendly anyway.

On the more general subject I can't see it would make any difference really. Most people would still have paid the same price for their season ticket regardless of whether it was 22 or 23 games. Some would liked to have had a bit of a moan about it being less value for money whilst handing it over though.

• Yeah @bookertease , i didn't quite get the "loads" of the early home games aren't included on the season ticket.

What, the ONE game in the league cup that may or may not be at home?

• You mean all home and away games and cup matches aren't included???

• edited May 2019

I'd be interested to hear which clubs offer these "free" extra games.

I think I heard someone like Arsenal give 1 free cup game, but it's a totally different situation, as their season ticket prices don't allow you to miss any games without a cost deficit.

They're also chief proponent of the scandalous "Category" game system, where they can scandalously charge up to £50 different just on opponent in the Premier league.
    Excellent that the league limits away tickets to £30, but still a bit ludicrous that for say Tottenham at home, an A game, you have a minimum price of about £70 for home fans, while it can be £40 cheaper for say a recently promoted Category C league game.

• A very rough estimate based on the equivalent home friendly against Brentford last year.

The known facts are the attendance -

Total: 1315
    Away: 418
    Home: 897
    (attendance figures taken from stat.'s on www.chairboys.co.uk)

and the ticket prices -

Adult: £10
    Junior: £5
    (prices published on www.wycombewanderers.co.uk)

The estimation:

Assuming a 50:50 mix of adults and juniors attended, the average amount paid per ticket would be £7.50, giving total ticket receipts of £9862.50.

Taking away from the total amount the tickets that would have been purchased regardless of whether season ticket holders got in free -

Away tickets (418): £3135
    Non-ST holders (I've used a 50:50 ratio of ST and non-ST) (448): £3360

leaves a figure of £3367.50 that would not have been received by the club if ST holders had been let in free. This is about equivalent to the price of ten adult season tickets, based on £346.50 being the average of the standard adult ST prices for the Frank Adams (£396), Beechdean (£396), Family Stand (£306) and Terrace (£288).

Would the offer of free admittance to this year's friendly against Brentford encourage ten more adults to purchase season tickets and make up for the lost revenue? Who knows.

• @Uncle_T said:
    Would the offer of free admittance to this year's friendly against Brentford encourage ten more adults to purchase season tickets and make up for the lost revenue? Who knows.

One of Dev's widely acclaimed spreadsheets would solve the conundrum!

• I could be being pessimistic but I think our best bet for getting more people in is winning more games pushing for promotion and getting a couple of decent cup runs (not the Locktite Aldi U23s trophy obviously) against some glamour teams not giving ST holders freebies. Painful as it is - even for those looking forward to our lavish pensions - to have to cough up for extra games, the club needs the cash.

• I don't use the word hero very often @wendoverman, but you are one of the greatest heroes the world has ever known for that positivity.

While I'm not quite at Benny/Che/Dale/Trevor/Whatever name this week levels of pessimism, I have zero faith in this town to get behind their team, except when it comes to true one off glory hunting times.
    I think our best way to maximise revenue, is the controversial, cramming loads more of the away fans into the main stand type set ups.

ANd obviously hoping they don't cause more damage than they bring in revenue, like with Sunderland last year!

• @micra ha ha like I said once they've got my money I take a positive view.

• To be fair, our average home attendances having been creeping up year on year for some time now and last season's average was our highest for something like ten years. Yes, large away attendances from the likes of Sunderland distort that figure slightly, but there's always a 'big team' or two in the division every year and the average is levelled out by hosting the likes of Accrington (no offence).

I'd argue we're heading in the right direction on this one.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @micra ha ha like I said once they've got my money I take a positive view.

That caught me by surprise @Wendoverman after two days of self-imposed exile, especially as I don’t recall having contributed to this thread but, if I’m going to be confused with anyone, I could do a lot worse than you or @Malone!

• Oh bloody hell you're right @micra apologies to you and @malone for any offence caused.