Skip to content

Independent articles

edited May 2019 in Football

I don't post very often but, the current predicament of the Club has got my brain whirling now we're in the off-season. Two interesting articles in The Independent that are helping to solidify some ideas that I have;

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/premier-league-epl-efl-league-one-two-championship-miguel-delaney-a8926126.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/tranmere-rovers-mark-palios-league-two-play-off-final-newport-county-a8923846.html

One quote from Palios stands out for me;

“You never cost cut your way out of a difficult situation,” he said firmly, looking up from his notepad. “You have to look at how you better use your assets and extract all of the potential out of them.”

I have the upmost respect for the volunteers, in particular those who will be giving selflessly with the much-needed maintenance work for the Stadium. But how many Trust members could offer their expertise in other areas such as marketing, bringing in new corporate sponsors etc.? On my side, I've grown two small businesses and have a network that includes corporate and sports marketing agency contacts.

I have not a Scooby Doo where the club is at with new investors but having digested the shambolic process over the last few months, it would appear that bringing in a reputable new owner in a short timeframe is going to be near-impossible. As current owners, it therefore falls to the Trust to develop a vibrant business in the meantime. I am sure Business Development work is occurring behind the scenes but, is it enough?

The media team do an outstanding job but as an example, the last call for sponsorship opportunities on the Club's LinkedIn page was 10 months ago. After the success story of the last five years with Gaz, the club should be hammering opportunities down the throats of local businesses and the wider world.

Anyway, this was my verbose way of suggesting the Trust reaches out to its members and gets its shit together. Does the Club go into next season accepting we don't have a penny to piss on or, does it make concerted attempts to bring in additional pennies? Peace out!

Comments

• This thread got caught in the spam queue, sorry @Richard_Cheese

• I could be wrong but I think that is about eight threads and two years of the Gasroom compressed @Richard_Cheese .

• Utmost. Sorry but this has been a regularly misspelt word recently. Perhaps often enough to be recognised soon
    as the correct spelling. End of, for me, a fairly rare pedantic offering.

Otherwise, quite a tour de force @Richard_Cheese.

• Pressed carriage return accidentally in the wrong place. Hey ho.

• @micra said:
    Utmost. Sorry but this has been a regularly misspelt word recently. Perhaps often enough to be recognised soon

No probs @drcongo and thank you for the correction @micra.

• @micra said:
    Utmost. Sorry but this has been a regularly misspelt word recently. Perhaps often enough to be recognised soon

Top work old son.
    It's of uptmoist importance to keep standards top notch where possible. There's no beneficiality in any other approach.

• If the Gasroom is an army barracks, @micra is the well respected sergeant who takes you to one side to explain that it pains him to say it, but your Ps and Qs are not minded quite properly, and, to quote a country song, "I know you've been using a cut rate thesaurus
    'Cause your adverbs are backed up into your chorus..."

• Interesting analogy @Shev! I’m not quite as fierce as Windsor Davies in It Ain’t Half Hot Mum and, thanks to @Malone’s wounding reference last year to my “incessant pedantry”, I like to think I have curbed my worst instincts in that respect.
    He’s a good guy.

• The Gasroom would not be the same without you, @micra - or @Malone for that matter.

• @micra said:
    Interesting analogy @Shev! I’m not quite as fierce as Windsor Davies in It Ain’t Half Hot Mum and, thanks to @Malone’s wounding reference last year to my “incessant pedantry”, I like to think I have curbed my worst instincts in that respect.
    He’s a good guy.

I imagine you are more like Corporal Jones in Dads Army!

• @micra would you say it is now semicessant pedantry?

• @mooneyman said:

@micra said:
    Interesting analogy @Shev! I’m not quite as fierce as Windsor Davies in It Ain’t Half Hot Mum and, thanks to @Malone’s wounding reference last year to my “incessant pedantry”, I like to think I have curbed my worst instincts in that respect.
    He’s a good guy.

I imagine you are more like Corporal Jones in Dads Army!

Touche! And I clearly come across as old beyond my years...

• I am anti-semicessant @Chris but @mooneyman has, typically, hit the nail on the head.