Skip to content

WWFC Fund Raising

I know people are discussing the 500 club in the socials ATM. I was fondly remembering the door to door scratchcards of the 80s the other day, which I'm guessing is what the half time draw is now.

I also remember the NatWest Piggy Bank incentive for young savers around the time. As under 12s go free, how about an optional Bodger Tax (name needs work) where there's a loyalty card type affair and once so many stamps are accumulated they get a stuffed Bodger or similar cost effective but incentive. The kids (well, the parents) get to help out the club and are rewarded for their effort.

I'm not sure how many children are on a freebie ATM but the ladies in the programme stand could do the collecting / stamping. Say £5 a time for 10 weeks, got to be at least a £40 profit per child that we aren't getting now.

Comments

• Gasroom tax: 2p per word

All proceeds to the playing budget

• That's @devc and @marlowchair essentially funding the playing staff.

• Dev would be bankrupt by Christmas!

• keep it short then !!

• I can’t understand why the club, as financially strained as it is, hasn’t reinstated the 500 club. I contributed to this in the past and would be happy to do so now. It seems as if no one is capable of making any sort of decision. We need to act now and any money coming in would be of benefit. If it got us a goal scored even better.

• Tight sod @rmjlondon.

• Think we’ll need more than one goal scored @yorkyblue!

• I hate iPads when they do that.

• Re 500 Club. Second time round substantial diminution of return. (Possible sense of reduced need because results so good at time.)

62p on its way. Oh, make that 66p. 70p then.

• Don’t you think people would see the need now?

• Needs a members meeting and a big relaunch.

But can't help thinking the current priority will be finding a buyer rather then engaging with fans, which may well be fair enough.

• I would like to think so @yorkyblue. And with the substantial growth in the fan base overall and the Trust Membership in particular I feel sure the response would be much better this time around.

• We currently have a Trust board, the majority of whom don’t even understand the basic ethos of a community and supporter owned football club, never mind believe in it.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    We currently have a Trust board, the majority of whom don’t even understand the basic ethos of a community and supporter owned football club, never mind believe in it.

Stick to presenting facts rather than this mindless abuse and you might win a few people over.

• @peterparrotface said:
    Needs a members meeting and a big relaunch.

But can't help thinking the current priority will be finding a buyer rather then engaging with fans, which may well be fair enough.

I think this makes sense, @peterparrotface - if we launch the 500 club, raise tens of thousands, but then get taken over by a multi-millionaire, we would have raised the funds only to hand them over to someone who should be investing millions.

I suspect that if the club has not been sold by a certain point - perhaps the start of the season - we may see something along the lines of the 500 club materialize.

• Take your point @peterparrotface and @Shev. Hadn’t really thought it through.
    But I think what @Shev says in his second paragraph sounds very plausible.

• @OxfordBlue You appear to be confusing criticism with abuse. That Supporters Direct were needed to advise against playing a pre-season friendly against the franchise speaks volumes. The desperation to sell out and risk private ownership does likewise.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    @OxfordBlue You appear to be confusing criticism with abuse. That Supporters Direct were needed to advise against playing a pre-season friendly against the franchise speaks volumes. The desperation to sell out and risk private ownership does likewise.

I'm not confusing anything thanks.

When you present compelling facts and evidence to back up a reasonably made point, people listen.

When you just throw out general accusations about 'ethos' it doesn't do anything productive.

• Given the amount of abuse they might get, it's lucky the queue of people keen to volunteer to run the club after work/in their free time snakes all the way down the industrial estate.

• @Wendoverman yep. You only have to look at the abuse the absolute sea of drones gives the likes of Lisa Bowker, for her supposed crime of being super keen.

What these guys miss, as they fall over themselves with the bloated boasts of "watching us at Carlisle", is that watching football is (supposedly) a pleasure. You are GETTING something for yourself.

What the likes of Lisa do with the volunteering is pure selflessness.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    @OxfordBlue You appear to be confusing criticism with abuse. That Supporters Direct were needed to advise against playing a pre-season friendly against the franchise speaks volumes. The desperation to sell out and risk private ownership does likewise.

I'm not confusing anything thanks.

When you present compelling facts and evidence to back up a reasonably made point, people listen.

When you just throw out general accusations about 'ethos' it doesn't do anything productive.

You can call it abuse all you like, it doesn’t make it so. Calling legitimate criticism abuse is a thinly-veiled attempt to such down debate.

I have given a couple of fundamental reasons for my criticism. If I didn’t believe them to be entirely legitimate then I wouldn’t have made them.

• I wish there was rather more such downing of debate. I don’t know what it is but, if it eradicated some of the relentless negativity from a handful of joyless posters from whom we expect nothing else, discussion would be much more fun. And that’s coming from a grumpy old man.

• @micra said:
    And that’s coming from a grumpy old man.

You're not grumpy

• You’re right @Malone. Just wanted to counteract the “smart arse” element. I’m a joy - just ask mrs micra. On second thoughts......

• @micra substitute shut for such. Autocorrect can be such a nuisance.

Sadly you are doing likewise by characterising some posters as joyless and relentlessly negative. Are only certain opinions / dispositions accepted here?

• You so and so @Malone . Was that you with the ???

• Can’t it just @glasshalfempty. I was only saying to mrs micra this morning “I get so frustrated with my iPhone thinking it knows better than me” . I think that’s why I look at what I’m typing as I type it. My granddaughter shocked me recently by telling me that she doesn’t even look at the “keyboard”. Sorry, what was the question?

• But in terms of this actual thread's title, if you really want to donate, you don't need an official vehicle like the 500 club, you can always just pump up. I doubt they'll say no!

• Slightly mischievous @Malone!