Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

«13

Comments

  • £19,500

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • The article touches on it but surely in addition to loss of central funding, a big hit will come from hosting the likes of Crawley, Morecambe and Macclesfield as opposed to Sunderland, Pompey, Charlton etc.

  • Yes @MindlessDrugHoover , another significant chunk but less than tv money I suspect. (Say 20 games at 200 fans plus 3 at 1000 - 7000 less spectators - round to 10000 at roughly £18 - total £180k as a ballpark ).

    Really scary figure is cost of dropping out of league. No parachute payments I understand so immediate hit of £1m plus loss of some gate money. That is huge for a club of our size.

    👍 👎 ( -3 )
  • It's been reported this week that that Notts County and Yeovil will get 100% of the basic EFL parachute payment, about £500k, next season. That halves the following season if they don't get promoted, nothing in the third season.

  • Thanks Steve.
    Didn’t know there were parachutes for teams dropping out. That does seem to make a lot more sense.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • so surely staying up means we've got enough money to pay off the generous loan from the colonials...but then none for Dave Tarpey or crisps?

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • edited May 7

    (Deleted)

  • Talking of it being a share of TV money, when was the last time a Wycombe league match was on telly?

  • No the £1.4m (or 950k in lg2) is PER CLUB not split between all 24.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • @drcongo said:
    Talking of it being a share of TV money, when was the last time a Wycombe league match was on telly?

    Was it luton away with the wonder goal from Mawson?

  • So on rough calculations that gives us a combined income of well over £3M (solidarity figure, ST sales, average gate 5,400). Thats actually more than I thought without any cup income, etc. Not ideal (and I guess there may be a sizeable chunk of bonus money for staying up) but cutting our cloth (yet more) with a small squad again next season (albeit maybe not that competitive) May allow us to cover a significant proportion of the loan on Adams Park, which relegation would have made very difficult.

    I can see a reverse of last season - small squad up until January - try and stay in touch, pay the Americans back then work Gareth’s magic with loans in the January window

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • I admire your optimism Booker but all indications are that we ran at a significant cash loss this season with the tv money at league 1 levels.

    It seems highly ambitious to think we can not just break even next season but actually trade at a profit to generate cash to pay back debt while still staying competitive.

    Hopefully Mr Hause will deal with last seasons debt ( assuming we have a sell on) but even then I suspect it will be desperately difficult to break even in cash terms while staying competitive.

    I know it will not be a popular thing to say (and you must remember that the WHC competition established me like you as one of the pessimist “miserable ) but I do suspect that the main benefit of survival this season will be that next seasons likely relegation while we find a funder merely takes us from league 1 to league 2 rather than from league 2 to the conference.

    👍 👎 ( -4 )
  • We are highly ambitious @devc

  • My optimism should always be admired! (A rare thing indeed when it comes to on-field expectations) but my tongue was a little in my cheek.

    I think my observation was that we rather front loaded last season with (for us) a relatively large squad by the end of August (I seem to remember). That must have been expensive (but worth it to the tune of at least £500K probably).

    I think this year will see a different approach and a much smaller pre-Christmas player budget

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Not sure if I have understood you correctly, but got to think our annual wage bill is more than £500k. Hope so, because if we need to cut £600k from a £500k budget, that is going to be a tad challenging!

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • I was saying (badly and probably inaccurately) that the squad at the end of August was designed to keep us up with some quality loan signings. That ‘investment’ probably allowed us to stay up. Staying up is worth over £500K.

    My prediction is that we won’t be able to invest like that this year but absolutely no idea how much we saved after the bulk of the loanees went back in Jan

  • Unless Harman or another investor step up v ery quickly, I dont see how we could. Even if somehow we knew for certain that by spending £100k more on wages in the next season (2020 vision perhaps??) it would guarantee £500k more income in 2021, unless you cash fund the £100k now, still cant do it.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • I think I’m saying the same thing for next season but I think we did this.

    I should point out that I understand football finances even less than I understand football (and that’s not very well) so I have absolutely no idea what I’m on about, so trying to work out any sense in my logic is a bit of a pointless task.

  • Off the point but still to do with income How much do Reading FC pay us to play their ladies team at AP and do we make anything out them on match days eg share of gate money ,money from food and drink sales ? If we do get match day income the question is why don't we plug these games more ? Eg Reading at home to Chelsea on Saturday .Every little helps .

  • @braywanderer said:

    @drcongo said:
    Talking of it being a share of TV money, when was the last time a Wycombe league match was on telly?

    Was it luton away with the wonder goal from Mawson?

    We had two playoff semis and a final after that, so no.

  • From memory we used to get at least one televised League match most seasons, so rather strange we've not had one now for around four years. Anything to do with @glasshalffull not being on the board perhaps?

  • @PrinceOfCrowell said:

    @braywanderer said:

    @drcongo said:
    Talking of it being a share of TV money, when was the last time a Wycombe league match was on telly?

    Was it luton away with the wonder goal from Mawson?

    We had two playoff semis and a final after that, so no.

    @drcongo mentioned the last league game not playoffs. I can’t recall any league games since.

  • Wait until Huddersfield Town drop back to our level and we'll probably be live on TV getting whumped 6-0 again.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Our playing budget is around 1.2 million, which is very similar to Accrington.
    Not sure how they manage to find this amount with the crowds etc.

    @DevC said:
    Not sure if I have understood you correctly, but got to think our annual wage bill is more than £500k. Hope so, because if we need to cut £600k from a £500k budget, that is going to be a tad challenging!

  • @rmjlondon said:

    Our playing budget is around 1.2 million, which is very similar to Accrington.
    Not sure how they manage to find this amount with the crowds etc.

    They have a wealthy owner. It's not quite the full fairy tale some think it is.

    👍 👎 ( 2 )
  • I think the thing with Andy Holt is he spends his money on the club prudently, rather than throwing it at the wall and hoping enough of it sticks. Still a real achievement for Stanley to be where they are.

  • @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I think the thing with Andy Holt is he spends his money on the club prudently, rather than throwing it at the wall and hoping enough of it sticks. Still a real achievement for Stanley to be where they are.

    Absolutely agree, their achievements have been remarkable.

  • @OxfordBlue said:

    @rmjlondon said:

    Our playing budget is around 1.2 million, which is very similar to Accrington.
    Not sure how they manage to find this amount with the crowds etc.

    They have a wealthy owner. It's not quite the full fairy tale some think it is.

    Oxford Blue is correct about this. I also believe that their owner paid off most of the club’s debts so effectively they’re in a better financial position than we are.

  • edited May 8

    In the absence of any real information about finances or players feelings or contracts, I believe Gareth will go to QPR, all the best players will leave and we will not be able to afford to pay enough to get anyone decent in...two years time we'll be playing park football in front of two men and their dogs. There that seems to be the summer posts sorted...time for a holiday.

  • Noooo @Wendoverman!!! Don’t leave us alone in here with Richie & Marlow!!

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
Sign In or Register to comment.