Skip to content

Comments

• Interesting Oxford are happy to pay out £160k to Agents but won't pay their important bills!

• So, only Accrington in our division spent less on agents fees than WWFC and 17 clubs in League 2 spent more than we did. Hopefully this finally nails the myth that the club is somehow being untruthful when they say that we have one of the smallest playing budgets in the lower leagues.

• All it really shows is how much money is going out of the game with no real reward to show for it.

How is it that clubs pay agents? Why isn't the player paying them?

• Perhaps most remarkable film figure is that Liverpool spent 10 per cent of its turnover on agents. Or around £1.5m for each player in their first team squad.

• @glasshalffull , does anyone disbelieve that this year?

It was last year, I was personally dubious, bearing in mind the string of relative big names players we had. Not to mention the suspicion that our numbers were being compared to the whole playing staffs of clubs counting their youth team/reserves etc. So not quite a fair comparison.

• I’m sure there have been posts even this season suggesting that our playing budget is bigger than we’ve been led to believe.

• Some shocking figures in there. Some of the same old names popping up next to some of the more eye-watering figures. No wonder clubs like Oxford and Northampton continue to be financial basketcases when they're shelling out money like that.

Staggering that Salford spent over £75k, outspending a third of League One clubs. I suppose they can afford it (for now at least). If and when they reach the FL, I hope the BBC and other media outlets manage not to completely melt at the "romance" of their achievements.

• Oh and well done Accrington, who continue to be a fine example of how to run a club. So much to be admired there.

• One of the most striking and topical disparities is between the amounts disbursed by Portsmouth and Sunderland.
    I believe Portsmouth have turned to non-league clubs for some of their players, not least of course Ollie Hawkins the 6’5” striker who was a prolific goalscorer for Hemel Hempstead a couple of years ago.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Some shocking figures in there. Some of the same old names popping up next to some of the more eye-watering figures. No wonder clubs like Oxford and Northampton continue to be financial basketcases when they're shelling out money like that.

Staggering that Salford spent over £75k, outspending a third of League One clubs. I suppose they can afford it (for now at least). If and when they reach the FL, I hope the BBC and other media outlets manage not to completely melt at the "romance" of their achievements.

The problem with "romance" is where do you draw the line?
    It has to be on "traditional" level of club to some extent

Bournemouth have huge backing for instance, but traditionally they're a piddly little club, so it's romance how they're staying in the Premier league so easily.

• People should give Salford due credit when they go on their yearly FA cup run and beat a few league teams. Regardless of budget its an achievement for a team outside the FL.

What annoys me though is that there will be other teams every year from the non league who are smaller, and have less money, who are beating bigger teams in that cup round, who don't get a look in from the BBC.

Chesham got totally sidelined then they beat Bristol Rovers a few years back because everyone was so busy kissing Salford's arse.

• @PBo - The spirit of the late Al the Pål lives on. I believe he also did some consultancy work for Belkin a few years back when advising on what spec resistance their surge protectors should have. "How many amps Mr Pål?" https://www.overclockers.co.uk/media/image/thumbnail/UP005BE_18553_800x800.jpg

On a separate point having only just read the PDF, why did the FA miss of the 'Wanderers' from our name?