Skip to content

Comments

• Which will get withdrawn in due course.

As much as I don't want to see a club to go bust I do wonder if it has to happen to shake the whole system in to living within its means.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Which will get withdrawn in due course.

As much as I don't want to see a club to go bust I do wonder if it has to happen to shake the whole system in to living within its means.

It has. It won't.

• I love Wycombe, but I have long since been out of love with the system of football. A sport that generates so much revenue should not lead to so many clubs struggling financially. Greed and ineptitude are not good bedfellows in running a global sport. I would not trust the FA or EFL to run a bath at this point, let alone a sport. It's the PL calling all the shots, and we know they never met a lower league pocket they did not like to pick.

If we could see ahead even 20 years, I am sure we would find the landscape completely different.

• All I can see in 20 years is a telegram from the king.

• Nice to see that private ownership is so much better than the supporter owned model!

• That's five winding up petitions for Oxford in the year since 'Tiger' took over, plus a day-long strike from club employees on Monday for not being paid. Their problems are many-fold and complex but at the heart of them is the continual desire for a wealthy benefactor to lead them back to the glory years they feel they deserve. Maxwell, Kassam, Merry and now this guy: and yet fans continue to demand someone come in and provide the necessary finance, each time hailed as the great saviour. Until it all goes tits up again.

• What does a winding up petition actually mean?
    It seems to happen repeatedly and nothing ever happens?

• It’s all a bit of a windup.

• Not to be confused with a f**kup.

• Can we start a petition to windup Derek Adams, or is that just so easy it does not need a petition?

• @micra said:
    It’s all a bit of a windup.

Like a yo yo then?

• A very fine cellist @mooneyman. Not a member of the wind section.

• @Malone said:
    What does a winding up petition actually mean?
    It seems to happen repeatedly and nothing ever happens?

Football clubs had a massive habit of screwing over suppliers by going bust, selling out to a new owner, or reforming in some way. The football authoritys typically weak response was to ringfence debts between clubs, so you paid your transfer fees or you got a points deduction, screw everyone else. Various people such as HMRC thought this was a crock of shit. In company law you aren't allowed to keep trading forever when you know you probably can't pay the debts you already have let alone new ones. So now if you don't pay your debts they go to court threatening to wind you up unless you do. It should never get to this.

See the next issue of the wanderer for a partial and biased simple guide to football finances. Or just watch the next club, and the next one after that promise the moon and deliver a shit sandwich.

• @micra said:
    A very fine cellist @mooneyman. Not a member of the wind section.

Did you know his cello is called Petunia and it's valued around $2.5m!

• I didn’t.

• I’ve just read the title of this thread as it appears at the top of the tiny screen on my iPhone. It reads “Oxford served win..” and peters out. Very apposite.