Skip to content

A beacon of hope from history

If it is to be the play-offs now, worth remembering our run in in 93-94 under St Martin. We'd been in the top 3 pretty much all season and were 2nd at the end of March. Cue one win in our last 8 league matches, and a play-off semi-final against a rampant Carlisle. We all know what happened next.

COME ON WYCOMBE!

Comments

• I actual mentioned that in conversation today, was fearing facing Carlisle who were the in form team at the time but as you say the rest is now history.

• Absolutely. Everyone thought we'd run out of steam that season as well, but we ended up cruising through the play offs.

If it is to be the play offs, I think we'd have a decent chance. We may well see a team rejuvinated by those returning from injury and suspension. One of the few positives from today was the performance of Bean at right back. Perhaps with Pierre returning, Bean could stay in that position meaning Yennaris could play in his normal midfield position. If JJ returns that in turn will free Wood to play further forward and if we can get Saunders fit, we'll be able to field a pretty strong team and when we've been able to field our strongest or close to strongest team this season, we've generally won.

There's a few 'if's' in there and it's imperative we don't get any further injuries or suspensions at Northampton, but if we don't go up next Saturday, I'm reasonably optimistic about our chances in the play offs.

• If it is the playoffs I would like to see Fred go back to playing on the wing

• I was impressed with Bean's first half, did really well. But second half he went missing several times including, crucially, for the Morcambe goal. I'd rather see Yennaris there if at all possible.

• Bean was outstanding. Ellison rips people apart but Bean was good all game. Looks more comfortable than Yennaris at right back. Rather have Yennaris is the holding midfield role breaking up the play as he did when he looked great initially.

• Is there anywhere Yennaris can't play? Played like Pierre at centre back yesterday!

• @Rolo said:
    Is there anywhere Yennaris can't play? Played like Pierre at centre back yesterday!

Awesome all round player yes it helped that they didn't have a lot of height up front but he just slotted in and looked as if he playing there all season.

• @Morris_Ital Are you saying it's too early to mention him in the same breath as Cannavaro?