Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• @Ned_Ludd not sure what you mean there :wink:

• Best view of the first pen. Accy player might make the most of it, but what on earth was Allsop thinking? Can't be too reassuring to play in front of a 'keeper who's capable of moments of madness like that.

• My god. What the hell did Allsop think he was doing there?

• A 'bad decision'. Very stupid bad decision. Just had a quick glimpse of Facebook (damn my eyes) are we really in a worse position than we were in the Torquay season? 13th and so many people seem to be very quick to condemn us to relegation. Mistakes (and oh my god there have been a few) aside, we've played well this season in my opinion.

• A lot of the fb posters need to apply some sort of cooling off period to their rants.
    Nothing after kick off, and for a day after a "Non win" would be a decent rule.

• Having finally mustered the courage to watch the highlights i'd say that Thommo and Sido are getting off very lightly when it comes to the apportioning of blame.

• Rocky is the present panto villain. Strangely on the Accrington site, they are pleased with being four points off the bottom clubs and confident they will survive. Whereas some of our fans have us relegated already.

• we wouldn't be wycombe wanderers without our fans embarrassing themselves.

• @floyd, no-ones letting Thompson off. That penalty give away was right up there in the Adams Park history of stupidly needless ones.

• I've even seen Akinfenwa made the scapegoat by one or two on Twitter - I'm having a tough time working that one out. He hasn't been as effective this season but some of the abuse (admittedly so far confined to social media, it seems) he gets after everything he's given for the club is plain nasty. I think that's what it comes down to a lot of the time, certain sections of the support not knowing where to draw the line between criticism and abuse.

• To be honest in the middle of the Beechdean I could not see why either pen was given, but I did notice Stanley were a good footballing side who played out expertly from the back as we never seemed to put them under pressure in their own half and were in our box so often a defensive mistake was always a possibility. As others have said, Rocky wrestling a player and Thommo putting a hand on one going nowhere was madness. Not sure El-Abd had a great game either for all the shouting and pointing. Sadly took the gloss of an excellent goal for Paris, who had a decent game before tiring considering he came on unexpectedly on Saturday. I know it was probably a risk, but I think Bolton might have been a better sub than an anonymous Kashket...and I had no idea what the formation was once Scotty came on.

• edited March 2019

@th100 , agree totally. It's hard to see how him winning a massive percentage of headers makes him in any way guilty for yesterday.

That 4 or 5 game run with CMS instead of him plus the not entirely correct perception that Wimbledon deemed him not good enough for league 1 has set a one track mind in a lot of fan's minds.

It's the "banter" generation - being able to say whatever you like, and then trying to backtrack that it's "banter" or if you've been called out chatting nonsense, claim it was "fishing"

What I would put forward as something I'm not totally sure works that well, is him and Samuel starting together.

• agree @Malone the Beast gets every ball aimed at him and has to deal with being targetted with no reward. Last night at one point three Stanley players where on or about him in the box and Bayo was blown for a foul!

• edited March 2019

(One of) Bayo's biggest struggles this season has been dealing with long balls that are nowhere near him. He tries his best to get across and challenge for a header, but more often-than-not it results in him fouling the player.

It has highlighted just how vital Scott Browns kicking was to Akinfenwa last season.

• Stanley played the sort of football that Sunderland fans seem to imagine they were playing on Saturday. A masterclass in reeling in a team and passing them to death before hitting them on the break with precision. Even without the mistakes for their penalties, you imagine they would have won that match comfortably.
    We'll just have to tip our hats to them and move on to the next one.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Stanley played the sort of football that Sunderland fans seem to imagine they were playing on Saturday. A masterclass in reeling in a team and passing them to death before hitting them on the break with precision. Even without the mistakes for their penalties, you imagine they would have won that match comfortably.
    We'll just have to tip our hats to them and move on to the next one.

Agreed. Very impressive.

• @Malone said:

@th100 , agree totally. It's hard to see how him winning a massive percentage of headers makes him in any way guilty for yesterday.

That 4 or 5 game run with CMS instead of him plus the not entirely correct perception that Wimbledon deemed him not good enough for league 1 has set a one track mind in a lot of fan's minds.

It's the "banter" generation - being able to say whatever you like, and then trying to backtrack that it's "banter" or if you've been called out chatting nonsense, claim it was "fishing"

What I would put forward as something I'm not totally sure works that well, is him and Samuel starting together.

I totally agree with this post. I’ve been criticised on here for having a go at the social media generation but Malone has described their purile approach perfectly.

• Our biggest issue is that since all the loan players left, Ainsworth doesn't seem to know how we should play. Do we defend and rapidly break as we did in that successful November run or do we press high like we did last season? At the moment we're doing a bit of both poorly, and I think that's why Bayo is getting the blame. Getting the ball to him without effective midfield runners to pick up second balls and get in behind.

Also, Alsopp has been far too hot-headed and emotional all season. He'll make a mistake early on and then beat himself up over it all game.

• @prufrock_91 said
    Also, Alsopp has been far too hot-headed and emotional all season. He'll make a mistake early on and then beat himself up over it all game.

Ah, I understand now. Allsop is not really time wasting, but actually getting hurt beating himself up during the game!

• @prufrock_91 said:

I'm sure the support he's getting from some of our fans is helping.

• I’ve just read GA’s comments after Tuesday night and once again his assessment is spot on. He’s always honest and fair in what he says after games despite one Facebook regular saying recently that he never tells the truth.

• The issue isn't over whether his assessment is spot on or not but whether he then goes and corrects the problems in the next match. @prufrock_91's analysis is very good and points to a long-term problem since the end of January (since when we've picked up two points from a possible 21).

I'm afraid his transfer window was shockingly bad. It was naive to put all his eggs in a basket named Fred Onyedinma, and has left the squad shorn of four top quality players. How we could do with CMS now. Or Saunders. Or a Bryn Morris-style central midfielder. Instead we have Charlie Owens, who's not deemed ready to come on even when we were down to one central midfielder on Tuesday. It's a shame Luke Bolton isn't really working out yet - that was a calculated risk it was worth making but one that should have been mitigated for by keeping players we knew we could rely on, like CMS and Saunders, around the squad.

But we are where we are - now Gareth needs to show we can adjust to the realities, tweak the formation or the passing style to suit the personnel we have. He doesn't have long left in this season to make it work.

• CMS and Sam Saunders were featuring prominently around the turn of the year, weren’t they! It’s the flipside of the “when
    you’ve got what you want you don’t want it.” syndrome.

• @aloysius but the eggs in that basket ensured we had a good start to the season which may prove vital in our battle for survival. Not sure what the issue with Saunders was, and agree that I was disappointed that CMS was let go, but we were never going to be able to compete with Pompey coming in for a loan player putting himself in the shop window or Millwall wanting us to pay big wages for Fred. Obviously GA does not entirely trust Paris but I think he needs a good run and Freeman has shown touches but not consistency, Kashket has gone from scoring machine to slightly crocked sub, so he's having to depend on Bayo and Bloomfield who both do a job. Thompson for me has been signing of the season and Samuel has really come on. The idea that Gareth is unrealistic and is NOT shaping the team for the personnel we have I find a bit ridiculous. Also the constant strain from some that he is a liar, tricking us! There are quite a few teams that would like to be in our position even now! I think once Bolton is free of injury (remember he is still young) he will ply his trade higher up the league albeit probably not for City. PLenty of football still to play. For me, Gareth's problem is he raises expectations and then we are disappointed when we just get what we should have expected at the start of the season.

• Not sure we expected the current run.

• @micra indeed...but it's always the way isn't it...good games against the top teams are useless if you don't beat the ones around you. Still confident we will survive but it's certainly a worry.

• edited March 2019

@Wendoverman said:
    For me, Gareth's problem is he raises expectations and then we are disappointed when we just get what we should have expected at the start of the season.

Absolutely spot on.

• I was informed on Tuesday night that the reason Fred didn’t come in ‘the window ‘ was that Harriman, or rather his wife, refused a transfer to Notts County on the final day. Hearsay I’m sure?

• Sounds feasible. Not exactly a great career move. Doesn’t alter the respect I have for Michael and Amy - not least for all their efforts for the Wycombe Homeless Connection.