Skip to content

Aaron Pierre

Comments

• He was indeed, Steve. What a signing. He and Kevin Durham (who sadly died extremely young, of course) live long in the memory.

• @micra I think one could make an argument for "archetypal" to mean "the most fitting example".

• Apologies to Aaron Pierre.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Surely the archetypal No.10 is Messi?

How? He's not typical in any sense!

• @micra said:
    Sorry, didn’t realise “archetypal” was a superlative. Thought it just meant very typical and I’d heard a commentator on the wireless describing Özil in those terms on Sunday. Agree, Messi is arguably best.

Agree, archetypal does mean typical, or usual.
    Therefore describing Messi as thus, is plain ridiculous.

• edited March 2019

Just seen this is the Pierre thread!

An archetypal league 2 centre back stopper arguably? But with more pace.

• @Malone "archetypal" and "typical" are different words, with different meanings.

• Typical is a synonym of archetype, and I would doubt many would use archtype to mean perfect, as opposed to "very typical".

• "perfect"?

• edited March 2019

Yes, most would say archetypal is a "typical" example of something, whereas your use of Messi suggests you're using a defintion of him being a "perfect" example, or someone who has "all" the "desired" characteristics of a Number 10.

When in reality, Messi isn't typical in any way of a Number 10 - or the standard would be incredible!

• Doubt Messi would be any good in a fight near a Tesco express cash point though

• There is a sense of the word that you are missing, which is that the particular example is one which could be used as a blueprint to copy. Nothing at all to do with perfection.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Doubt Messi would be any good in a fight near a Tesco express cash point though

Brilliant!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Doubt Messi would be any good in a fight near a Tesco express cash point though

I reckon Messi would be handy enough in a scrap

• @eric_plant I suggest he would feign to the left, wrong-foot his assailant and make a dash for it...

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Noel Ashford was our archetypal No.10.

The last player in a blue shirt to be able to win games on his own, at his peak he would still easily be good enough today.

• @Fit2drop nearly, but as evidence against I would present:

Steve Guppy, Gateshead, Adams Park, FA Trophy (QF?)

• Just like it'd be great to see the likes of Pep manage a small team, it'd be great to see what Messi could do in our team when the ball's flying over his head repeatedly.

• Butch Wilkins couldn’t cope with it. Left after one game!

• I suspect having Messi in the team would change our style of play.

• Definitely would.

We'd punt it longer and higher so that it'd drop to him closer to goal.

• 'Lionel...see that big bald bloke....whip it down to him lad and you'll get on fine...'

• Messi and Akinfenwa would certainly make an entertaining front two.

• It'd be like having Kashket up there, but less pace.

• Less injury prone though.

• Kashket or Messi?

Messi is less injury prone so he's the winner.

• Kashket is a lot younger though, so you'd think over the next 5-6 years we'd get more games out of him.

• Despite the age difference, we would still get more goals out of Messi.

• I don't know, Kashket has racked a good 4 or 5 up this season.