Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bloomfield 500

This is well worth a watch. Obvious from the comments that he is held in very high regard by the rest of the squad. A remarkable achievement to reach 500 appearances for the club. Surely the next manager when Gaz eventually departs.

Comments

  • He confirmed he would be up for managing the club someday.

  • Last minute, score is 2-2, ball cleared to the edge of the area and Matt Bloomfield slams it home on his 500th appearance. Jubilant chairboys invade the pitch and carry him off shoulder high.

    Too much to ask?

  • Good tribute that. Congrats.

  • This is a good read too, didn't realize he coaches Ipswich youths one night a week. Possible i suppose that he'd coach there after playing before he inevitably gets a go at being manager here.

    https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/story-of-matt-bloomfield-journey-from-ipswich-town-to-wycombe-1-5922004

  • @eric_plant said:
    Last minute, score is 2-2, ball cleared to the edge of the area and Matt Bloomfield slams it home on his 500th appearance. Jubilant chairboys invade the pitch and carry him off shoulder high.

    Too much to ask?

    In 15 years, has Bloomfield ever scored from outside the area ?

  • Chas Harps, from a guy who has an incredible memory for really trivial stuff from 30+ years ago, you're clearly letting your anti Bloomfield agenda affect you there. He's scored plenty of long rangers. (definition of plenty being more than 2 or 3)

    Naughty.

  • edited March 9

    what a day that was. 1-0 down, 3-1 iirc.

  • should have checked the excellent COTN before i posted. This was the 2-1 win the yer before.

  • Matt Bloomfield has done more for WW, on and off the field, than some people will ever know or acknowledge.
    He’s been selected by numerous different managers over a period of 16 seasons and yet still has his critics.
    He’s a credit to the club and a credit to his profession.

  • Well deserved congratulations (if picked)

  • Not sure that moving his family to Felixstowe suggests he will be moving to a back-room post with us when he hangs his boots up though.

    But he is a legend and we should be grateful for his loyalty

  • @Malone said:
    Chas Harps, from a guy who has an incredible memory for really trivial stuff from 30+ years ago, you're clearly letting your anti Bloomfield agenda affect you there. He's scored plenty of long rangers. (definition of plenty being more than 2 or 3)

    Naughty.

    And who cares what distance goals are scored from? One inch or 30 yards, it’s the same outcome.

  • @glasshalffull said:
    Matt Bloomfield has done more for WW, on and off the field, than some people will ever know or acknowledge.
    He’s been selected by numerous different managers over a period of 16 seasons and yet still has his critics.
    He’s a credit to the club and a credit to his profession.

    One of the rare things we actually agree on!


  • A nice gesture from Wycombe's worst ever manager (tm) making a valiant, but futile attempt to not talk about himself.

  • @Callmepauly said:


    A nice gesture from Wycombe's worst ever manager (tm) making a valiant, but futile attempt to not talk about himself.

    2nd worse. Still there's a photo of Blooms, Gaz & Adams and looking at it I thought Adams was about 8th best qualified to be our manager after Gaz, Blooms, some of the furniture and the photo they gave blooms

  • We all know Adams didn't do a good job here, but it speaks well of him that he came back to do that for Bloomers.

  • @Malone said:
    We all know Adams didn't do a good job here, but it speaks well of him that he came back to do that for Bloomers.

    Indeed - he must have known he would get some stick. Credit where credit's due.

  • And while he said and did some mad stuff, he shouldn't be placed anywhere near the category of Smith - who you could definitely strayed towards sabotage with some of his decisions.

  • Hate to be a pedant @Malone but I believe its still spelt Sm*th

  • I was not in the area during the glory years of tony adams reign so cannot comment but i am glad matty bloomfield got a chance to be celebrated in front of such a big crowd when he was subbed.

  • As one who until last season never really β€œgot” Matt as a player (but who found him a genial, friendly guy to speak to and recognised what a great β€œservant to the club” he has always been) I was delighted to see him put in one of his very best performances yesterday. My old eyes may have deceived me but wasn’t he the guy who stole the ball on the halfway line, burst forward with speed and determination and passed perfectly to PCH for the latter to cross to Alex Samuel for our fully deserved goal? Well done Matt.

  • He was very good last week at Peterborough too.

  • @micra That was Gape I'm afraid.

  • Aaah, did wonder! Thanks @Vital. Thought Dom had one of his best games (and needed to in Thompson’s absence although, physical assaults aside, I thought Marcus Bean played really well in his place).

  • Have to say that historically, I am not one of Bloomers fans as a footballer at this level. Never questioned all the other credits to his name. Yesterday however he was a colossus in midfield, unbelievable in energy, tackling & his distribution was unrecognisable from the many games I have seen him play. If I was an opposition manager I would be demanding a drugs test on him, he was that good. Surely can't repeat that again Tuesday night can he?

  • @EwanHoosaami said:
    Have to say that historically, I am not one of Bloomers fans as a footballer at this level. Never questioned all the other credits to his name. Yesterday however he was a colossus in midfield, unbelievable in energy, tackling & his distribution was unrecognisable from the many games I have seen him play. If I was an opposition manager I would be demanding a drugs test on him, he was that good. Surely can't repeat that again Tuesday night can he?

    He was also excellent at Peterborough. We need an excuse for 500 something or other every week

  • I have to say that he and bean looked like completely different players on Saturday. Not expecting much from tne game so.playing with shackles off? Who knows? But if we had played that way against the likes of Bradford and Gillingham...we would be safer and what excitement!

  • Has Blooms' fantastic strike that was tipped over been mentioned? I know Phil said how close it was to a fairytale finish at the time. Anyhow, kudis to Matty, legend for the club for half of my near thirty years supporting the Wanderers. Mr Wycombe all the way! Great interview on Bean With the Shot too

Sign In or Register to comment.