Skip to content

Hemel Hempstead Town 1-4 Torquay United

The National South leaders extended their lead over Woking to four points, with a very comfortable win over the Tudors. The first half saw Hemel struggle to get out of their half as the quick passing visitors overran them, taking the lead on 32 minutes with a good finish by Saikou Janneh, on loan from Bristol City. The lead was extended soon after the break, Jake Andrews scoring from a narrow angle.

It took until 60 minutes before Hemel spent extended time in the Torquay half but superb finishes by Asa Hall, a far post header, and Jamie Reid, a thumping shot over the keeper into the far corner, completed the rout. Striker Reid, a former Exeter player, really impressed tonight. The Tudors scored a late consolation, the only time the Gulls’ keeper was seriously troubled. Hemel really did not know how to cope with the pace and power of their full-time opponents, not helped by putting their midfield playmaker and best player, Jordan Parkes, up front for most of the match.

An entertaining match, played on a very good surface, Torquay are the most impressive National South side I have seen for some time. Manager Gary Johnson really has worked wonders this season. The attendance was 654, boosted by 300 or so Torquay fans.

Comments

• Thanks for that @Steve_Peart. Good to see Torquay doing so well.

• Cheers Steve. Like Micra, nice to see Torquay having a better time of things after an appalling last 4/5 years. Surprised to hear they're still full time despite nearly going out of business last season.

• @Jonny_King, last March the Torquay owner, Clarke Osborne, said that the club would remain full-time even if relegated to National South. He has kept his word, I don't think Gary Johnson would hang around if they went part-time.

I see that, in December, Torbay Council and the club agreed to sign a Memorandum of Understanding to support the principle of a new 10000 seater football stadium, enlarging to 20000 for other events, and a youth centre of excellence and sports academy.

We would all like to see them back in the Football League, "that day" down there will remain forever in our memories.

• Torquay has always been my favourite of the three Devon clubs. Be careful before you start believing a word Mr Osbourne says.

Osbourne has a history of promising new stadia in exchange for developing land of existing ones. Bristol Rovers, Reading greyhound, Milton Keynes greyhound all went down this road except that Mr Osbourne remembered to develop the old ground but somehow forgot to build the new one. He has tried the same trick at Poole, Swindon and Hereford United FC.

Not sure I'd be booking accommodation for the Torquay new stadium grand opening pre season friendly extravaganza just yet.

• @DevC said:
    Torquay has always been my favourite of the three Devon clubs. Be careful before you start believing a word Mr Osbourne says.

Osbourne has a history of promising new stadia in exchange for developing land of existing ones. Bristol Rovers, Reading greyhound, Milton Keynes greyhound all went down this road except that Mr Osbourne remembered to develop the old ground but somehow forgot to build the new one. He has tried the same trick at Poole, Swindon and Hereford United FC.

Not sure I'd be booking accommodation for the Torquay new stadium grand opening pre season friendly extravaganza just yet.

But surely he would not be allowed to do that anyway @DevC ? There's a bloke on another thread who has all the evidence to prove it's not possible :wink:

• he would have a chance though Wendover if Torquay's stadium was zoned in a residential area rather than for employment land. As of course it is. I suspect not a coincidence.