Skip to content

Bloomfields time is up?

2»

Comments

• A couple of comments about 4-4-2 versus 4-3-3 have been made in the last couple of days and concerns have been expressed about the shortage of midfield players. I like 4-4-2 but it probably needs a fit Bayo plus Kashket to make it work effectively. Alex Samuel might work well alongside either of those two but his eye for goal and mobility/footwork in the box doesn’t really match that of Kashket. PCH is also well able to play more centrally.

So far as numbers in midfield are concerned, I don’t share the opinion expressed by one or two that we are worryingly short in that area. We have Gape and Thompson as shoe-ins for the central/defensive/roaming commission roles plus PCH, Freeman, Tyson, Harriman (much missed), Bloomfiel, Bean and the as yet untested Charlie Owens. Apologies to anyone I may have overlooked.

In the context of earlier comments I have made about scope for reducing the playing budget, I must make reference to Darius Charles. I think it is fair to say that we haven’t seen the best of him and I really hope that he will eventually be fit to resume playing on a regular basis, especially as he is able to cover the left back position and can also lead the line (albeit he gave the impression when chatting to us in the Woodland that he was a somewhat reluctant striker).

• I am big fan of Bloomfield and agree with what someone posted about him; it´s like killing Bambi to slate him.

In my mind Bloomfield will never be a midfield maestro, a game changing or game winning player.
    He is a hard working player and what he lacks in skill he makes up with great work, works his socks off, a great player to have in your team.
    Bloomfield had an off day against Luton - had two good chances that he bottled but the team as a whole wasn´t up for it, Luton were just a number too big for us on Saturday - they were better than us but the 3-0 scoreline was maybe not fair on us.

• @raglan, did he "bottle" the chances? Or did he just "Miss" them?

Quite a distinction.

• I love Matty but definitely saw him ‘bottle’ at least one chance, electing to pass instead - to Bayo if I remember correctly.

• I doubt that it's a lack of 'bottle', more likely from his perspective on the field at that moment, the best option was to pass to Bayo. The team, especially this team, are more than one player.

• edited February 2019

@ValleyWanderer said:
    I doubt that it's a lack of 'bottle', more likely from his perspective on the field at that moment, the best option was to pass to Bayo. The team, especially this team, are more than one player.

It's fair to describe the pass to Bayo as bottling the chance, he clearly just passed on the responsibility of shooting when he was in the best position.

• Thanks @Username I felt it was one of the very few clear goal scoring opportunities we created on Saturday.

• I must admit when we've played a nice bit of footy into the final third...when it's poor old Bloomy on the end of it my heart tends to sink...no doubt he'll get a winner soon and we will laud him.

• He has found the onion bag 36 times @Wendoverman

• If he can just get a landmark 14 in the games we have left @mooneyman the social media might leave him alone!

• @mooneyman said:
    He has found the onion bag 36 times @Wendoverman

A goal every 12 games isn’t great but how many of his assists have been spurned?