Skip to content

Play Jason McCarthy in midfield

2»

Comments

• Eminently fine fellow and all that, but it was about the 75 minute mark on Saturday that I first noticed him from the terrace.

• Not sure Harriman has ever played anywhere but wide right/right back and left back for us but, as an experienced professional with decent pace and technical ability, I see no reason why he couldn’t do a good job in a more central position. And we know he is capable of scoring goals.

Hope Bayo and Freeman will be fit for Saturday.

• I'd be looking to play Freeman in the centre of midfield in that Bloomfield role in front of Gape and Thompson. He's a player that I always want to see on the ball and will make things happen. He works hard and I think he would thrive with the extra responsibility given to him.

I know he was injured on Saturday but I thought the game was crying out for him in there.

• Absolutely agree about Freeman. He always seems to.make things happen when played more central (Norwich League Cup last 20 mins was an example of that)

• @micra said:
    Not sure Harriman has ever played anywhere but wide right/right back and left back for us but, as an experienced professional with decent pace and technical ability, I see no reason why he couldn’t do a good job in a more central position. And we know he is capable of scoring goals.

I seem to remember that he has played in central midfield before but it was not a great success. I might be entirely wrong!

• He seems to be given a more mobile role the older he gets!

• I absolutely disagree about Freeman playing in the central role, certainly at the current time.

Nearly all his best performances have come from that position on the left hand side of a front three as it gives him the ability to drift inside onto his right foot and find space.

Going toe to toe with the opposition’s holding midfielders doesn’t do him any favours and he drifts out the game as he did against Coventry.

Maybe once he’s a bit more experienced he may be able to play in the centre regularly.

For me, the problem on Saturday was that we set up to play with a single central striker but didn’t have the personnel to deliver that approach but never adjusted.

We should have gone 4-4-2 and tried to pass it a bit more instead of keeping thumping it forward for quick players to chase.

• Well once Samuel went off Gareth was forced to change the failing tactic of hoofing it to the small man to hoof it up to the even smaller man.