Skip to content

Chairboy Anthem

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/january/vote-for-your-chairboys-anthem/

Well, it's going to a vote, and our own @Uncle_T also entered.

I am not asking anyone to vote for me, just to vote one way or another! It's a great thing that a fan base get to choose their own anthem. If the sale does go through you may be stuck with 'The Star Spangled Banner'.

Comments

• Are any of them actually any good? I’ll have a listen later. Would have like to have seen some Billy Bonqua in there

• No contest for me....... :-)

• I don't want to be negative and shit on 4 people's hard work, but I really don't like any of them unfortunately.

The Lost Nobility one is a little bit Bonqua-esque.

Sorry Shev!

• Thanks @ValleyWanderer!

@OxfordBlue - I don't get easily offended, mate! Music is definitely in the ear of the beholder.

• @Shev congratulations on making the short list (and to the other entrants, should they post on or read this forum).

This is fun. I've not had a recording I've made being subjected to a public vote before.

• Same to you, @Uncle_T - no matter what happens, we have had the official Wycombe website link to our songs, and a record company review them! That's not a bad little anecdote.

I personally think they should use all four songs, and play one before each game, one at halftime, one after the game, and mine on a tinny radio behind the concession counter when people are buying crisps.

• I really welcome Cherry Red's sponsorship. I was genuinely staggered to find myself standing on the terrace, early season, half-time, and to hear this coming over the tannoy:

Made a bit of a change from "Simply the Best".

So shouldn't we select a great song from the Cherry Red back catalogue? It's eclectic - from Plastic Bertrand, through Peter Sellers & Sophia Loren, the House of Love, the Television Personalities and Working Week to Tammi Wynette.

I mean, with all due respect to the four selected, surely we can choose something between Stand By Your Man and Shine On?

• Well 4 interesting numbers for certain!? The first one sounds like West coast pop gone wrong - very saccharine. The next one is more garage-band mixed with Glitter but I can’t hear the vocal which is a shame. Third one is Sleaford Mods done bumpkin/farmyard style and the fourth is Ian Dury through a mangle of twee. Hats off to those who put the effort in !!

• Thanks @kiscokid - Saccharine West coast pop gone wrong was exactly what I was shooting for! It's always nice to hit the target.

• Haha I did get glimpses of Jason Falkener / Jellyfish. Wanted the tempo to rise a bit but it kept true to its genre.

• How catchy is that chorus on the 4th one? Fucking catchy

• Although not winning at Lincoln would have seen us drop to division 3, not out of the league. Shame

• There could potentially be a market for CRR bringing out all four as a limited edition EP and selling it in the club shop. I'm not saying it would trouble the top 40, but I'd probably buy one if for nothing more than the sheer novelty value.

• @Shev said:
    Same to you, @Uncle_T - no matter what happens, we have had the official Wycombe website link to our songs, and a record company review them! That's not a bad little anecdote.

I personally think they should use all four songs, and play one before each game, one at halftime, one after the game, and mine on a tinny radio behind the concession counter when people are buying crisps.

Like anyone buys crisps.

• Evens favourite for me. Both musically more interesting and fuller, more dynamic productions than 1 and 3, albeit with the reservation mentioned by @kiscokid about the almost inaudible vocal by Lost Nobility.
    4 was my favourite. Very cleverly produced with snippets of @bluntphil’s commentary on, inter alia, Dom Gape’s goal at Saltergate interspersed. For the purpose of community singing Phil would of course have to be surgically removed but what a track to play before a game or at half time. As @peterparrotface put it so succinctly, fucking catchy.

Does anyone on here know anything about the Ruark Mk3 DAB/CD player?

• @micra said:

Does anyone on here know anything about the Ruark Mk3 DAB/CD?

One of the planets in Star Wars isn't it?

• Number 4 for me very catchy and a proper football song. Love it.

• @HCblue said:

@Shev said:
    Same to you, @Uncle_T - no matter what happens, we have had the official Wycombe website link to our songs, and a record company review them! That's not a bad little anecdote.

Like anyone buys crisps.

You can't if there ain't any on offer!

• Agree that @Uncle_T has been inspired by Sleaford Mods. Could hear Jason Williamson spitting that out with more venom and swearing. It’s definitely got a Cherry Red vibe - the last verse about the industrial estate had me in tears.

The Lost Nobility one has hints of Raconteurs’ Brendan Benson. @Shev’s number is a professional effort that needs a bit more anthem to it. The Comanche one is definitely not for me.

Fair play to everyone but Uncle T’s getting my vote.

• Thanks @arnos_grove

I certainly wasn't consciously taking Sleaford Mods, or any other act for that matter, as inspiration when recording, although on listening back I can hear where the comments from @kiscokid and yourself are coming from. My lyrics are more Family Stand friendly than most of Sleaford Mods output, though.

• @shev In case you missed it, it was announced at half-time today that Commanche Crew won the contest. I spoke to and congratulated them afterwards. They said they were told that the public vote was a close run between their entry and Wycombe Strong, so your contribution was obviously popular.

• Have heard both. Not close-run to my mind.

• Hey @Uncle_T. Thanks for the heads up! I was notified yesterday that I had not won, but was waiting for confirmation of the winner. Cherry Red said it would be announced today, but I walk the dog at half time, and did not see anything online till now!

Congratulations to the Comanche Crew - they have a catchy number that clearly struck a chord with fans. From what I understand they are composed of several families, so this will be tremendously exciting for all of them.

For what it's worth, someone, (not myself) sent all four songs to a fan of a different team, and they selected yours as the best, as a neutral observer. All the best to you on a good competition!

Thanks to everyone who voted for me - I hope my last minute meeting at the hotel to present my song did not undermine the other songs. I just thought the legacy members had a right to know there was a choice!

We're all One Wycombe, and Wycombe Through and Through.

• Unlucky Shev, and congrats to the winners.

Although WWFC has always had a song:

Oi oi oi the old bucks boys la la la la la la la

• As always.....well done @Shev and all the best.