Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• @Shev Wycombe Strong playing right now

• Thanks for the heads up, @OakwoodExile - that just made my day, and I only just got up!

• Very uninspiring hoof ball so far.

• that is a bad as I have seen us play for some time, we look lazy and have no urgency, gape passing is shocking and Tyson has been woeful with his finishing

• Any previous comments about this league being a bit more skillful and less industrial don't apply today. Bloody Lino.

• Not sure how the lino could give a corner when Thompson was between him and the ball. Surely you can't give a decision on something you can't see? That said, we still had time to defend a set piece and yet again we conceded from a corner.

• today has been shameless

• It's been one of those games. Can't help but feel if we had equalized, we would have cracked on and won it.

• First game for a while where we got bullied by the opposition. That, together with far too many misplaced passes and a lino who simply guesses what had happened, were the reason we got beaten.
    Even so it was a spirited fight second half performance that probably would have seen us win had we not been chasing the game.

• It's really poor when officials guess, the lino was blocked by the net and Thompson's body. Ball was not out. He also had his flag up for our goal and got overruled. Poor.

That said AFCW didn't just have the rub of the green, they also worked very hard (and cheated like mad). Used to like them as a club but not any more. Fans are just entitled idiots.

Just one of those days for us where it wouldn't fall, I've seen far worse over the years

• Fred was excellent today. Deserved that goal. Wimbledon deserved the win though. Just one of those days

• I know he put a shift in and scored, but how many times did their no.9 hit the deck? Was embarrassing at times

• We were rather poor today. Looked very nervous in possession, out-muscled in most challenges and I could probably count the number of headers we won on one hand. Not sure what our aversion to throw-ins is, every time we got one nobody offered any options and we kept losing the ball as a result. Can't say the ref was too bad today; both teams seemed equally aggrieved by his decisions, the lino on the other hand was rubbish. We really do need to improve at defending corners.
    Merry Christmas all!

• @Trevor @rmjlondon get an early Christmas present! Bad day at the office....especially for the lino! When the bottom team gets a goal you know buses will be parked. Having said that with more luck and better finishing we could still have won it. Wombles were a big team who never let us rest though we improved when Morris came on and - for me - CMS for Tyson and pch for Williams and should have been done a bit earlier. Thompson was decent again but gape had too many passes cut out. But as I said at 1-0 all AFC had to do was keep stopping stuff. Not a surprise, but hopefully another wake-up call. A bit harsh to call us lazy I think we were just knocked about by a struggling team needing points. Sounds like Burton kicked luton all over the park today which does not bode well for boxing day! Happy Christmas All!!

• I wonder how many of the players were suffering a cold from last Saturday's exploits. Henderson looked out of form, his distribution was woeful, which stopped us getting any kind of grip on the game with Wimbledon out-muscling us to every loose ball. Gape was all over the place, Tyson missed some gilt-edged chances and as for Jacobson's corners... I love the guy as much as everyone else but it's getting to the stage where We Need to Talk About JJ. McCarthy's bombasm was good but meant we were exposed for their second on the break. Samuel ineffective. Fred fantastic and Thompson very deserving of MotM. The linesman totally incompetent - though at least he penalised both sides having ruled against Wimbledon when they scored a perfectly legitimate goal early on.

We had a bad 90 today against a team that wanted it more and a bad second 45 against Gillingham last week when we sat back too much. We need to remember that we were relegation favourites at the start of the season and we're a long way away from safety yet. This is not the time to get complacent.

• @EwanHoosaami exactly that. I "suspect" that it did just go out from my lofty Woodlands perch, but the linesman on the other side of the pitch with the 2 posts and like you say Thompson sliding in his way surely cannot have been certain.

• Classic display against a team that have been our bogey team for a fair few seasons.
    They looked a league 2 style team, and we didn't really have enough muscle for them.

This would have been the game to put Bayo back in for, shame he wasn't ready.

• edited December 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Malone said:
    @EwanHoosaami exactly that. I "suspect" that it did just go out from my lofty Woodlands perch, but the linesman on the other side of the pitch with the 2 posts and like you say Thompson sliding in his way surely cannot have been certain.

I was on the terrace. It definitely didn't go out. I even checked with a couple of people down on the boundary fencing right by the line where it happened. They said it perhaps was on the line but certainly not out. It struck me as a particularly egregious error to make since it was the sort of decision that might be hard to get right with total confidence but, with the correct approach, an easy one to avoid getting wrong in this way. By the by, he wasn't overruled for our goal: he initially raised his flag for offside and then put it down again, correctly, when a legal player ran onto the through ball and the player he originally intended to call offside made no attempt to play the ball. He was premature, and mistaken, in his original call and was right to lower his flag.

All that said, I had a feeling about today that the result confirmed. Full marks to Wimbledon for a totally committed effort that got them the result. Went to the game with a friend who's a WImbledon fan. Beforehand, he said they'd been lacking commitment and he was hoping the new manager would instil a bit more. He seems to have done so and they were very hard to break down as a result. No problem with our effort today - we were just a bit short of quality when and where it mattered.

That first goal being so crucial to the result, that corner decision still sticks in the throat though!

• @fame_46 said the same at halftime about needing Bayo. Sometimes you need to fight brute strength with brute strength.

How often do we reserve our worst performance of the season for Wimbledon at home? But at the end of the day would you rather go into Christmas 9th in the table having lost, or bottom having won.

Weird isn't it that we should have some affinity with the Dons but they and their fans are an odious bunch and I hope they go down.

• @DJWYC14 - if they were cheating like mad, to be fair that is probably complete justice for a ridiculously embarrassing performance at theirs a few seasons back whereby literally any time a WW player came within a 1 metre radius of the then-AFCW Akinfenwa, they fell over like they’d been shot.

• An old fashioned mugging. More like an L2 game. Thought Thompson was superb again. Tyson too, should have had at least one penalty. Should probably have tried smashing into them a bit more as ref seemed alergic to cards.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

Weird isn't it that we should have some affinity with the Dons but they and their fans are an odious bunch and I hope they go down.

My brother and I were discussing this at the game. Always wanted to like them, we have plenty of common ground! But always found them to be utter cretins.

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:
    @EwanHoosaami exactly that. I "suspect" that it did just go out from my lofty Woodlands perch, but the linesman on the other side of the pitch with the 2 posts and like you say Thompson sliding in his way surely cannot have been certain.

I was on the terrace. It definitely didn't go out. I even checked with a couple of people down on the boundary fencing right by the line where it happened. They said it perhaps was on the line but certainly not out. It struck me as a particularly egregious error to make since it was the sort of decision that might be hard to get right with total confidence but, with the correct approach, an easy one to avoid getting wrong in this way. By the by, he wasn't overruled for our goal: he initially raised his flag for offside and then put it down again, correctly, when a legal player ran onto the through ball and the player he originally intended to call offside made no attempt to play the ball. He was premature, and mistaken, in his original call and was right to lower his flag.

All that said, I had a feeling about today that the result confirmed. Full marks to Wimbledon for a totally committed effort that got them the result. Went to the game with a friend who's a WImbledon fan. Beforehand, he said they'd been lacking commitment and he was hoping the new manager would instil a bit more. He seems to have done so and they were very hard to break down as a result. No problem with our effort today - we were just a bit short of quality when and where it mattered.

That first goal being so crucial to the result, that corner decision still sticks in the throat though!

I think HC Blue has got it spot on. I also had a bad feeling about today’s game because when people actually expect us to win that’s invariably when we fail to perform at our best. I found the attitude of some Wimbledon fans amusingly hypocritical considering that the old Dons were notorious for employing the dark arts.

• @PBo said:
    @DJWYC14 - if they were cheating like mad, to be fair that is probably complete justice for a ridiculously embarrassing performance at theirs a few seasons back whereby literally any time a WW player came within a 1 metre radius of the then-AFCW Akinfenwa, they fell over like they’d been shot.

So it’s ok for the opposition to ‘bend the rules’ but not right when we do it?

• edited December 2018

@glasshalffull said:

@PBo said:
    @DJWYC14 - if they were cheating like mad, to be fair that is probably complete justice for a ridiculously embarrassing performance at theirs a few seasons back whereby literally any time a WW player came within a 1 metre radius of the then-AFCW Akinfenwa, they fell over like they’d been shot.

So it’s ok for the opposition to ‘bend the rules’ but not right when we do it?

Is he not pointing out that it ill-behoves us, and fans of pretty much every professional football team, to point fingers at opponents accusing them of bending the rules of sportsmanship when they are ahead?

I found it quite amusing to speculate on what our guys were saying to the ref whenever they wanted to move the game along. Presumably something along the lines of "Look ref, they're having you on. You can take it from me. I know about this stuff." FWIW, I thought Wimbledon played perfectly fairly. Hard, but fair. We'd have been well-pleased if our team had played like that today when up against it.

• Those dark arts again. Wimbledon to their credit, gave it everything, and the height advantage their players had over ours was quite decisive today. Hoofball to their no.18 was effective, and not dissimilar to our tactics when Bayo is in the side. Frustrating for me was their blatant time wasting and kidology of the ref, but in all honesty is no more than we do if the situation warrants it. Surprised Mr Parry with all his ‘knowledge’ seems to be ok with this. I loathe it when we do it, and even more of course when the opposition does it. What happened to the old days many moons ago when you beat teams by skill alone without resorting to cheating or should I saw ‘game management.’ 4 minutes of injury time just shows it was well worth the opposition cheating at every opportunity...should have been at least 6 mins, often the time added when we cheat...I mean use game management. 9th still at Christmas..we would have all taken that at the start of the season. Merry Christmas!!

• Shame to end an incredible calendar year with an underwhelming display. Although I thought we were very unfortunate not to get at least a point. We created plenty of sustained pressure second half without quite finding a way to equalise. I did find it a bit annoying that we didn't switch the ball quicker as the wingers were often in acres of space but we were a little slow to shift it wide.

Kashkett looked lively when he came on, and Tyson and Fred did well on the wings too. Samuel was less effective today than other games and Williams didn't have a massive impact. Gape seemed to have perhaps his worst ever game for us. Gave the ball away loads of times and didn't get stuck in like his normal self. Odd for a player that is normally superb.

As others have pointed out, we really struggled with Wimbledon's physicality. I did wonder at times if we might get Stewart on to mark their 18. Sido sometimes struggles against the burly centre forward types.

• Amateur gasroom pundits having an off day today. Too much ‘hero to zero’ stuff. Let’s have a bit less knee-jerk soundbite and a bit more moderation. “Shameless”, for example, is NOT a word which accurately describes today’s performance.