Skip to content

Local games next week-end

Sadly we’re without a game next week-end due to our FA Cup exit at Luton. But there’s lots of local football of interest to keep you away from overspending on Xmas presents!

SATURDAY 1ST DEC K.O. 3PM

National League:

Maidenhead Utd v Harrogate Town

National League North:

Brackley Town v Altrincham

National League South:

Wealdstone v Eastbourne Borough

Southern League Division 1 Central:

Aylesbury United v Kidlington
(at Chesham United FC)
Berkhamsted v Corby Town
Thame United v Bedford Town

F A Vase Round 3:

Tring Athletic v Biggleswade

Hellenic League Premier Division:

Holmer Green v Fairford Town

Hellenic League Division One East:

Burnham v Woodley United

Spartan Sth Mids League Div One:

Amersham Town v Harefield United
Risborough Rangers v Broadfields Utd

Hope you find some suitable entertainment.

Comments

• Berkhamsted 1-2 Corby Town. 4th v 3rd in the Southern One Central.

Berko took an early lead, ball smashed home from the edge of the area, but lost their way after that as the Steelmen took a 2-1 lead into half-time, both crosses into the six yard box not dealt with by the defence.

The Comrades nearly equalised just after the break, header just clearing the bar and, although they pushed up high, rarely looked threatening. This allowed Corby numerous chances on the break, including hitting the post. Berko did have a very good shout for a pen, and had a late sending off for a second yellow. The Corby keeper made a great last minute to ensure a deserved win. Berko's prolific scorer Matt Bateman had a rather quiet game.

Attendance 151, including a good contingent from Corby. The bumpy pitch did not help the flow of the game. After gaining promotion last season, and replacing most of the squad, Berko have made a very good fist of it so far.

• Risborough Rangers 1-0 Broadfields United (Spartan South Midlands League Division 1).
    Scorer Joel Read 23 mins, attendance 81.

A good win for Risborough against strong opposition. Old-fashioned pleasures on offer at RRFC include half-time Bovril served in real mugs and a view of the steam train arriving from Chinnor at regular intervals. And today, the £5 admission charge reduced to £2.50 for Wycombe Wanderers season-ticket holders (so I splashed out on an extra raffle ticket).

• Corby were the visitors when I went to Top Field a few years ago. Their support that day was extraordinary for that level, glad to hear thats still the case.

• The 'Jocks' love an away day, plenty of hip flasks about ??

• @ChasHarps, Scottish accents could be heard!

BBC item on why Corby is called "Little Scotland"':
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28225325

• Used to feature in brilliant cartoons in the Kettering fanzine "Poppies at the Gates of Dawn"

• @peterparrotface That was a Top Fanzine I think I still have every copy Produced back in the day.

• @peterparrotface @M3G Extremely impressive niche retro knowledge

• Shout out to @LeedsBlue who gave me a lift to the miracle of Selhurst Park in 2001 when I was a poor student. Favour returned to Manchester University's top boy at Accrington on Tuesday.

Circle of life

• edited December 2018

Thame United 3-1 AFC Dunstable, Southern One Central, att. 57

I'll sneak in a midweek report on this thread. Tonight Thame gained a comfortable win over AFC Dunstable, not to be confused with Dunstable Town in the same division, who also lost 3-1 away tonight, at Bedford Town. An entertaining match was played on a peach of a pitch, not a bump in site, in this council owned ground.

The visitors made the early running, could have been three up but for a lack of composure in front of goal, before Thame scored in the 18th minute, Liam Tack scrambling home. Three minutes later left back David Lynn scored with an amazing free kick a good 30 yards out, near the touchline. He hit it high and it dipped wickedly into the far top corner. Apparently he scored in just the same way, from the same spot, on Saturday. It was end to end in the first half, lots of goalmouth action, and could have ended 5-3.

Thame stretched their lead in the 54th minute, Tom Ashworth calmly steering home. Dunstable were still mounting plenty of attacks but they invariably ended with a shot high and wide. The home keeper wasn't tested until the very last minute when Dunstable got a consolation goal.

Thame like to get the ball up to their impressive forward line quickly. Harry Scott had a blinder on the left wing, Liam Tack is a very cultured wide right midfielder, Lynton Goss a fast, skilful striker, and Dan West, "Westy Junior", the goal scoring midfield playmaker. They look good enough for the next level, Thame are in a play-off position, it would be great if Westy could get them a second promotion.