Skip to content

Who said there's too much money sloshing around in the Premier League?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46197761

Scudamore gets paid over £2M a year basic salary, and just got a £2M bonus.

But now Prem clubs are being asked, and agreeing, to donate £250,000 to a goodbye whip round fund.

What's wrong with giving him a watch or a pen like a normal company leaving gift for a long serving employee? Then those big clubs can let their spare change to the tune of quarter of a million quid trickle down to lower league football?

Comments

• I heard this on the news and just laughed. Not even the slightest touch to reality.

Imagine if this type of fund could be used lower down the pyramid.

• His leaving gift could be a legacy - he could use that money to build a training centre for kids, perhaps a northern version of Bisham Abbey. He could install hundreds of all weather pithes across the UK for use by junior teams with inedequate facilities. I'm guessing that's not going to be what happens though.

• edited November 2018

It beggars belief. Why on earth would such a fat cat get this sort of payoff. And why on earth would the clubs go for it!?

Why not distribute that 5m to lower league/non league clubs? You could keep most of non league football going for years with that!

• Got to say I was astonished by this too.

Undoubtedly he has done a good job for them but even so.

Surely to create a foundation in his name to support some projects say for the homeless or for handicapped kids etc would be a better use of funds than just giving him a bung.

• If this was in his contract you could write it off as being annoying but competitive with size of business etc. To have a whip round to fund it like its a boquet is obscene.

If you get c£2m a year for 20 years, no doubt plus generous pension and ongoing opportunities and can't fund your old age you are doing something wrong.

Wonder what contributions they make to their matchday staff who are mostly contractors.

• @devc as I just mentioned on another thread handicapped is a rather old-fashioned term these days, although it does seem to remain relatively common in the States. I believe some people find it offensive, so you might want to consider using an alternative.

• Considering he's put billions in their pockets...£250,000 is like a £25 whip round to them!

• Fair enough @Chris. Absolutely no offence intended. Getting hard to keep up these days.

• Some interesting comments on the FAs request for people to donate to Rooney's charity on Facebook. They don't seem to be doing so themselves.

• I'm sure he has been paid already a huge some of money. He is stepping down or whatever, maybe moving on for all I know. What valid reason can justify a £5 million pound cheerio present. It may well be that he has done a good job, but that's what we all get paid to do isn't it? When at work, I give my all for my employer & when I leave/retire I don't expect to receive a bloody great pay out for doing what I was paid to do!
    If the Premiere clubs have so much, as others have already commented, then pass it on to L!, L2 & National league clubs to help them survive FFS.

• edited November 2018

You know the mantra: 'If we did not pay them more than a king's ransom to do a job that more or less does itself they will take their expertise abroad...' Hence the head of a house building company gets £75 million quid instead of someone saying...'What the ****???!!!'