Skip to content

Ardley leaves the Wombles (corrected title)

Comments

• GA was already second in the longest serving list. He was appointed a week before Ardley was at Wimbledon.

NA has done a terrific job at Wimbledon in testing circumstances and he even played a small part in WW staying up at Torquay.

• Oops! You're quite right!

• Meanwhile, Phil Brown has left Swindon

• BBC say Ainsworth longer serving but only if you include caretaker spell. Not that it matters.

Shame about Brown, at least he's free for some winter sun.

• Odd timing that two clubs who won in Saturday sack their managers on Monday.

If you think "Neal has been a credit to the club in everything he has done. He is a clear thinker, a superb man-manager and a fine coach", possibly better not to sack him as soon as the first bad patch comes along.....

• Ardley a surprise

• Very good Peter.

• Shrewsbury boss gone too. Today's the day apparently.

• Shrewsbury’s manager leaving is probably the end of any hope we have of keeping Morris.

• I was thinking over the weekend how many league managers had played against Wycombe at some stage - list now needs some revision.

• Bentley is longer than Ainsworth

• There's no answer to that

• @rmjlondon said:
    Bentley is longer than Ainsworth

Correct Richie. Bentley is six feet one and Gareth five feet ten.

• He has been at Morecambe at least 2 years longer and Ainsworth and wont ever be sacked

• than GA has been at Wycombe^^

• FFS @rmjlondon, you do waffle.

• And now Harry Kewell sacked by Notts County. What a basket case that club is.

• Last manager to serve twenty five months at Notts County was Sam Allerdyce in 1999. They have had 23 managers in less than 20 years. The 24th has no doubt been lined up and starts before the weekend. if I was him I would rent a house not buy....

• Kevin Nolan would probably be unhappy that Kevin Nolan was sacked and now the man who replaced Kevin Nolan has been hooked.

• Speaking of Kevin Nolan, three of those managers were Kevin Nolan in the third person, so I am not sure if the list is accurate.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    And now Harry Kewell sacked by Notts County. What a basket case that club is.

Ideal job if you want to make a quick buck though. Get given a two or three year contract, get fired after a few months and trouser a large compensation cheque.

• Not sure that they have a vast amount of trousering cash at County nowadays do they?

• I'm sure the redoubtable Mr Nolan went away with bulging trouser pockets!

• Not always good in the longer term though. Paul Hurst had a great reputation after fine results at Grimsby and shrewsbury. Picked the wrong job, got some compensation but while he may well return to shrewsbury, his reputation for future advancement is now tarnished. Similarly with Kewell, OK at crawley, failed at notts, probably one more chance only.

• Claudio Ranieri has been sacked 8 times. Didn't do him a lot of harm Dev. Even the man with the brolly has been fired 5 times.

• edited November 2018

@mooneyman see also Mark Hughes. Sometimes I think the lack of imagination of chairmen means they fall back on a 'name' however tarnished. I'm surprised Paul Ince does not re-appear as a coach...did okay until disaster at Blackburn. Kewell appointment was a strange one to begin with...how okay did he do for Crawley?

• I agree with the same old names being recycled. Bryan Robson was another on the list. you sort of wonder what Richie Wellens has done to get the Swindon job. its hard enough though for a non-"big name" lower league manager to get a chance in the top two divisions. Not sure there are many if any examples of one getting a second chance there after failing first time.

• Wasn't Warnock sacked by Plymouth in his early managerial career Dev?

• Warnock also took County into the First Division in his early shouty phase. I can see why people employ him to get them up (see also Tony Pulis) but some managers who keep getting jobs when they have poor or unimpressive records surprise me.

• I must admit, I completely missed Kewell even being Notts C manager.
    Probably a sign of how well it went!