Skip to content

Matt Ingram

Comments

• Hopefully Gazza will give Ingram a hefty fine for this unsporting behaviour. He needs to learn how-to behave on a football field whilst he is still young.

• I agree with the last poster. It is the kind of petty childish behaviour which brings football into disrepute.

• I hope he gets a bonus.

• It's the Cambridge striker that needs to learn how to react to the normal push and shove that goes on in the box. His petulant reaction no matter how slight gave the referee a choice to make.
    There is your problem Cambridge fans that and we were better over the 90 minutes.
    I remember Grant Holt doing us a few seasons ago and fuming but on reflection it was just another aspect of that game we lost then and he did yesterday, focus.

• edited February 2015

Hi y'all. Wrong!! First season ticket 2001. Regular since then through good and bad. First time on the new gasroom but used to post on the old version (or is that the good old version according to some people). I just have no time for any professional who deliberately tries to get another professional into trouble. We are good enough to win without that. Matty looked at the guys foot, then trod on it deliberately- not penalised. Cambridge guy reacted, not lashed out unprovoked but reacted - red card. Sorry guys, take off the blue glasses, there is no justice in that. Having said that, for their manager to come out and say that we were being given a stern test before the sending off, what game was he watching? Professional performance again, best back four in league two (and keeper who will play at a much higher level), and great to see Beanie playing with some confidence - does the simple thing well. See you all Tuesday!

• @Morris_Ital said:
    It's the Cambridge striker that needs to learn how to react to the normal push and shove that goes on in the box. His petulant reaction no matter how slight gave the referee a choice to make.
    There is your problem Cambridge fans that and we were better over the 90 minutes.
    I remember Grant Holt doing us a few seasons ago and fuming but on reflection it was just another aspect of that game we lost then and he did yesterday, focus.

I agree re the Cambridge striker, however it a mans game and I don't want to witness our players rolling around as if they have been poleaxed after a very slight tap and conning the officials.

• @mooneyman said:

But it's a professional game . How hurt Matt was we don't know but kicking an opponent in full view of the ref is plain stupidity expect to walk .

• Some people need to get off their moral high ground I think. Professionalism in the game is near enough dead and you will see/have seen far worse anyway at some point. Teams won't get far by being soft.

I'm not saying I won't be angry next time it happens to us but I am definitely not embarrassed. Well played Ingram.

• @mattlppl said:
    Some people need to get off their moral high ground I think. Professionalism in the game is near enough dead and you will see/have seen far worse anyway at some point. Teams won't get far by being soft.

I'm not saying I won't be angry next time it happens to us but I am definitely not embarrassed. Well played Ingram.

If you are condoning cheating by our players, I trust you won't complain when other teams do it to us.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I was quite badly hurt recently (separated shoulder) and as I recall I pretty much lay on the ground motionless when it happened. Is it not the case that when any footballer writhes in agony on the ground he is to a greater or lesser extent simulating? When you're really hurt you don't writhe.

I don't think Ingram can be accused of simulating the kick. Unless he has magnets in his shins and their player was wearing steel boots. The guy was NOT SENT OF FOR INJURING INGRAM he was sent off for kicking out regardless of force. You kick out, you are off. You kick out softly you are off, you kick out hard you are off.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I don't think Ingram can be accused of simulating the kick. Unless he has magnets in his shins and their player was wearing steel boots. The guy was NOT SENT OF FOR INJURING INGRAM he was sent off for kicking out regardless of force. You kick out, you are off. You kick out softly you are off, you kick out hard you are off.

I think I was making a rather more general point, which is that it's pretty common, if not pretty much universal, for players who have been fouled to simulate worse injury than they have actually suffered.

• @mooneyman said:
    If you are condoning cheating by our players, I trust you won't complain when other teams do it to us.

I'm not condoning cheating because I don't think what Ingram did was cheating. Some idiot kicked him, he went down. I'm condoning going down when someone boots you in the achilles.

• BSEBSE
    edited February 2015

I mostly agree with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub

While it does look like Ingram milked it a bit, the lad took a swipe at him. The force of the kick is irrelevant, if you swing a punch or a kick your going to get send off. Goran Popov got send off for West Brom a few years back for spitting at an opposition player, and I doubt it was the "force" of the spit that got him sent off.

• Having looked at the highlights, McGeehan definitely kicks Ingram so it's right that he was sent off. All the rest is just noise.

• @mooneyman said:
    Hopefully Gazza will give Ingram a hefty fine for this unsporting behaviour. He needs to learn how-to behave on a football field whilst he is still young.

We were f**king awful for blatant gamesmanship last season. We seem to have reduced it a bit this season...but at no point last season did I ever hear GA say, "yeah, we need to cut the timewasting and ref backchat". I know, he was fighting for his job and the team's league status.

But if you think you're ever going to hear GA condemn gamesmanship I think you're very optimistic. Even "Honest" Matty Bloomfield bends the rules. Why? Coz the manager's told him to.

I actually think we did the timewasting mostly the right way yesterday, playing for lots of set pieces usually as far as physically possible away from Joe Jacobson (coincidence? Um...nah) who would then amble over, and some nice game killing keepball near the end.

• @CUFCfan said:
    I hope that every Wycombe fan who was at the Abbey yesterday were disgusted by your goalkeeper's actions. Completely unprofessional, completely against the spirit of the game and clearly a sign of desperation from a side who were, at that point, being given a major test by us.

He play acted to get McGeehan sent off after the most innocuous of reaction by McGeehan after Ingram stepped on his foot. Absolutely disgusting.

You got your three points by cheating yesterday and I hope action is taken against you.

Sorry CUFC fan but have you purchased a bag of sour grapes on your shopping trip?
    Having now seen the incident and replayed it several times it was a definite red card. McGeehan may have been provoked, but you and your sour faced manager can't say for certain that the goalkeeper "overreacted". It looks quite possible /probable that the toe of McGeehans boot went into or across the back of Ingrams' Achilles tendon, which I can state from bitter personal experience is extremely painful, though short lived. The proof of the pudding will be that if Money urges the club to appeal? Pound to a penny there is no appeal?
    In fairness I hate overreaction which has dripped down from the Premiership, but having seen the incident over & over again I would give the benefit of the doubt to Ingram based on watching him week in and out.
    I would like to add that we didn't win solely on the back of that incident and we are second in the league based on the performances of 29 games so far this season. I would urge you to look at the bigger picture and you may have a more balanced view?

• So far this season we have picked up 51 yellow cards (the most in the league) and 0 reds (only us and Exeter yet to get one). Just one of the many ways we look to have 'wised up'.

Last year we would have finished top of the league if it was done on red cards. 9 over the season! Second only to Blackpool in the whole Football League.

This year we have seen 6 red cards given to our opposition (top of the league) and we are the second most fouled team (Newport are top).

We are clearly much more streetwise across the board than we were last year. Of course we're a better side and that's partly why we get fouled more but a lot of it is handling the referee.

Football is a professional game. It's theatrical. A lot of it is fake. There's no team in the country who I can think of as an exception. Some just do it better than others. You can't blame Ingram for going down after being kicked. just because he wasn't knocked off balance doesn't mean he should stay on his feet and pretend it didn't happen.

Players are always presenting their own version of the truth to the referee. Richard Money must know this. He's just venting his irritation about it because he doesn't want to talk about the fact that his best player, on loan from Norwich and not bothered with anything but the United cup tie, turns out to be dim and disinterested enough to kick an opposition player off the ball and get caught.

• Having just seen it for the first time, it's pretty obviously the right call. The CU player kicked out at Ingram, and regardless of his reaction, a red card was the only option left for the red.

Sure Matt's reaction is a bit OTT, but we can blame the modern game (and JHGS) for that.

• @mooneyman said:

If he had got away with it (cause Ingram didn't sell the kickout) and scored, im sure you and everyone else having a pop at Ingram would be complaining about a lack of a red card for a player who had blatantly kicked one of our own. Get off the back of one of our younger players and enjoy the win maybe? Ingram has been solid as steel since coming in to the side, doesn't prat around on Twitter and has not forced a move to a lower league 1 team for more money unlike a couple of academy grads have done recently. In fact hes shown his commitment by signing a new contract. Maybe you should consider that's he's still a youngster and support him rather then blast him after his first real misdemeanor

• Clearly we cheated to get the CUFC player sent off. I don't care a jot. It meant I had an enjoyable day out instead of an average one. If a similar incident happens on Tuesday night I hope Ingram does the same thing again and we can all celebrate another win against ten men.

• I'm just amazed no-one's set up a poll to settle this once and for all...

• Nice trolling by some of the recently registered members on here - the replay clearly shows the Cambridge man aiming a deliberate, well-placed kick at Ingram's ankle. How even the most partisan Cambridge United supporter can sincerely argue that isn't a red card is beyond me.

• edited February 2015

Some of you Wycombe fans are deluded. Others are relatively impartial, which is refreshing.

The fact of the matter is that Ingram deliberately looked down for McGeehan's feet and stepped on them. Why? Because you were being given a tough test against a dominant Cambridge side. We were on top in terms of shots and possession up to that point and we looked very capable of scoring. I would say you were being outplayed, but in fairness you've obviously got a decent side and you were threatening too.

Because you'd just scored, Ingram knew it would be backs to the wall stuff for the next 35 mins and if you lot were the top of the table team your league position says that you are, you shouldn't have had to resort to cheating to force your way to victory.

Shame on anyone who delights in this and is proud of Ingram's actions. I hope that karma returns to you towards the end of the season and it costs you a match, like it did us yesterday... hopefully the play-off final.

• edited February 2015

@CUFCfan you're man kicked out at Matt, and was deservedly sent off. Whatever happened before or after that is moot.

Also, the league table IS a reflection of how good a team we are, that's the point of a 46 game, round robin league!

• I think it's rather refreshing that Wycombe are a professional team. For how many years were we victimised by self-proclaimed "real league clubs" and are only recourse was to say that 'we do things the right way'?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world it would be wonderful if everyone played absolutely fairly and sportsmanship was championed as the game's great achievement. However one club trying to uphold to that standard is going to lose. A lot.

These things will also happen to us in the upcoming weeks and months and I will be the first on here to cry foul but that is the right of every biased fan. So I completely understand where the thread opener is coming from. This is just not the right place to garner sympathy.

*Also, the Cambridge fan's ire should be equally directed at the moron who kicked out. Inevitably the person who retaliates will draw the card, flag, whatever in every professional sport. You either suck it up or go down. You never react second (or better get in first and draw the reaction?)

• Convince yourself all you want, its not for me and just because its Wycombe I don't see the need to find positives from it.

• If I were a Cambridge fan I'd be more angry at McGeehan for getting himself sent off than worrying about Ingram. It was a clear kick on the back of the ankle and a clear red card. Speaking as a Wycombe fan, I'm disappointed at Ingram's ott reaction. He has no previous of this sort of thing, so I don't want to see him/us getting a bad reputation.

• I'm sure when Ingram saw the replay, he thought "that's one I'm going to show my grandchildren when they ask about my football career".

• don't like going against the grain (sure) but I found Ingram's, and to a lesser extent Bloomfield's and JJ's behaviour a bit of an embarrassment. Can completely understand why Cambridge would be annoyed and would prefer it if we didn't do that sort of thing

• Agree Ingram did make a meal of it but their player kicked him and it was 100% correct that he got sent off. Perhaps Ingram should have hopped about on one leg for a bit rather than writhing in agony.

Not sure what planet CUFCfan is on though. They outplayed us? He's having a laugh. They could have played till next Wednesday fortnight and still not scored!