Skip to content

Northampton programme

Comments

• Ah @ChasHarps. Those programmes for the first couple of years at Adams Park were the pinnacle of the art. Real quality both in terms of look and feel and readability. Goldsworthy was wonderful to read and with Martin’s candour as well I genuinely used to look forward to sit down and read it.

• Mr Goldsworthy had the voice of Henry 'Blowers', the writing style of Stephen Fry and the smoking demeanour of Hurrican Higgins !!
    A true treasure in Wanderers folklore .

• Those first years in the football league were a joy programme wise. O Neill with his distinct style, Goldsworthy, although too much wine and Sky sports talk, and even our own @glasshalffull, all interesting pages.

• I'm sure @arnos_grove can confirm, but didn't Mr Goldsworthy take rather badly to a spoof programme note style article in The Adams Family?

It was pretty funny as I recall (both the piece and the reaction)

• The parody was right on target , picking out precisely those parts of the original that were a touch repetitive or contrived. Wasn't the original version sponsored by Majestic Wines? It was certainly a change from the run of the mill writing one usually gets in programmes, though I think it had a mixed reaction from those I shared the terrace with.

• It was probably funny to a certain age group, but the result wasn't especially funny, cheesing off a guy who had the best interests of the club in his heart, and depriving people of his musings for however long it was.

That's the problem with putting yourself in the public eye to any extent, you'll attract criticism and mocking. It's even worse these days!

• I was amused by both the original and the parody. I agree that the consequences were unfortunate, but I doubt the parodists intended Mr Goldsworthy to take umbrage. That said I'm only commenting on my limited memory of what is almost ancient history. Perhaps somebody would be good enough to post a sample of the original and the imitation to inform others.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    I'm really liking the idea of an edible programme. If someone can produce the relevant data, blah blah blah etc I believe it would be an extremely viable facility to add to the client match day experience. Put me down for a Jalfrezi for the next match. Will save me standing in a queue for 30 minutes only to be dissapointed by the lack of options on the chocolate bars!

How about we turn up at 2 and for a couple of quid get a peshwaari naan with the teams printed on it and a sponsors logo?

I'm in, make it happen.

As long as it is peshwaari & not Keema. I find the sweet taste of the peshwaari takes some of the sting out of the vindaloo/madras/phaal curries.

• If @arnos_grove has a stack of old Adams Families in his loft we should scan them and get them up on the internet.

• that'd be excellent

• edited September 2018

@ChasHarps My recollection, from the years of listening to his tannoy work at Loakes Park, was that Mr Goldsworthy had a bit more of a London twang to his voice than ‘my dear old thing’.

• @LeedsBlue think he was from Holloway Road

• was it him that got on the tannoy at Loakes Park to tell some fans off when there was a bit of fisticuffs on the terrace? (vs Kettering maybe?)

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    I'm really liking the idea of an edible programme. If someone can produce the relevant data, blah blah blah etc I believe it would be an extremely viable facility to add to the client match day experience. Put me down for a Jalfrezi for the next match. Will save me standing in a queue for 30 minutes only to be dissapointed by the lack of options on the chocolate bars!

How about we turn up at 2 and for a couple of quid get a peshwaari naan with the teams printed on it and a sponsors logo?

I'm in, make it happen.

As long as it is peshwaari & not Keema. I find the sweet taste of the peshwaari takes some of the sting out of the vindaloo/madras/phaal curries.

If you're having the naan on its own as your evening meal a stuffed or keema type might be handy. Next step Cobra's.

• I've not been Adams Parking as long as most of you lot and I had to stop buying a programme because they were taking up too much space.

• I solved the space problem by moving up north

• You do know there's no law that says you can't read a programme and then throw it away...?

• Bit of a waste though isn't it, at £3.50 a pop.
    The same price as even the biggest clubs in the country

• @eric_plant The guy who did the Tannoy announcements for a while in the mid-80s once called fighting Col U fans "children", and referred to Noel Ashford simply as "God" when reading out the teams - but this wasn't John Goldsworthy. That's not to say JG didn't intervene with some wise words to the 'hoolies' at some point in his illustrious career.

@peterparrotface Yes, I believe he was an Arsenal fan in his youth, and first came across WWFC after watching our Amateur Cup win at Highbury in 1931. I remember reading this in his obituary on Vital a few years ago.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    If you're having the naan on its own as your evening meal a stuffed or keema type might be handy. Next step Cobra's.

Ah, never happen amigo. As is evident by my waistline, eating features very high up on my CV list under hobbies. Would never waste a visit to a ruby house and just order a naan bread, peshwaari or keema. They would be simply a side, along with the onion bhajees, sag aloo etc, to "fill out" the curry!

• @eric_plant said:
    was it him that got on the tannoy at Loakes Park to tell some fans off when there was a bit of fisticuffs on the terrace? (vs Kettering maybe?)

When Colchester fans shook that two-legged display contraption from side to side at the hospital end a guy came on the tannoy and said “children you are pathetic” . It certainly wasn’t John Goldsworthy and I agree with @LeedsBlue that he sounded nothing like Blowers. He had a slightly nasal London voice and was nowhere near as upbeat and comical as dear old Blowers. As for his meanderings in the programme, I used to despair and, although I am not familiar with Stephen Fry’s literary output, I would be surprised if they have much in common.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Ah, never happen amigo. As is evident by my waistline, eating features very high up on my CV list under hobbies. Would never waste a visit to a ruby house and just order a naan bread, peshwaari or keema. They would be simply a side, along with the onion bhajees, sag aloo etc, to "fill out" the curry!

Not easy to eat all that whilst stood up behind the goal though

• @micra I take it you didn't like the Hospital End 'clock' then? In my childish youth, I particularly enjoyed the fact that someone had to wander over with a long stick to reset it at the beginning of each half.

• it was Chelmsford City fans that tried to dismantle the hospital clock, not Colchester united.

• @StrongestTeam said:

True, I'd still be up for the challenge, if you could accept my transfer to my usual seat where I have 2/3 places free either side to act as trays??

• JG’s reaction to The Adams Family spoof was a total shock to us at the time. We honestly thought he’d be amused.

Main reason for that was shortly before, we’d been to Butlins for the weekend and spotted a bottle of Butlins red wine for about £2. Bearing in mind his fondness for shoehorning a kind of wine review into his programme piece, we purchased a bottle and dropped it off at the office with a note of some sort. A couple of weeks later, he thanked us via his programme piece, calling us ‘cheeky scallywags’.

I guess that must’ve led us to think he was up for more nonsense, which clearly wasn’t the case. We didn’t take kindly to other club individuals sticking their oars in and making assorted threats about trademarks etc and it kind of escalated from there.

Shame really, we loved his programme pieces. Like the fine wines he often referred to, they’ve aged very well.

I have got all the TAFs in a box upstairs and would be delighted to stick them all online for what they’re worth. If anyone’s got any suggestions on how / where’s best to do this, let me know. @Baldric I will find the JG spoof and stick it on this thread in a bit.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@StrongestTeam said:

True, I'd still be up for the challenge, if you could accept my transfer to my usual seat where I have 2/3 places free either side to act as trays??

The obvious answer, well done.

• To be honest @LeedsBlue I wasn’t sure when I posted earlier quite what the construction did display. I thought there was a clock (from distant memory) but then I thought “no, there couldn’t have been one in that position”. But there clearly was.

• Above post typed out seven hours ago. Forgot to press post.

Some other scummy lot from Essex then @ChasHarps. Important point was the announcement which I can still hear plain as a pikestaff.