Skip to content

Match day thread: Northampton (EFL Throphy)

2»

Comments

• A lot to be pleased about in tonight’s result and performance but the best thing for me was seeing Kashket complete 90 minutes and score a quite brilliant goal.

• An all action end to end scrap with lots of endeavour but not very much controlled football. Plenty of promising individual performances but it was apparent that this was a team that had not played together before and that the formation and several of the player positions were experimental.

As far as the iFollow video coverage is concerned, perhaps because my PC is ancient (7 years old), the otherwise excellent HD picture began to freeze five minutes into the second half and I had to switch to the tiny screen on my iPhone.
    As a result and because it wasn’t such a scintillating performance I didn’t enjoy this evening’s watch as much as the Plymouth match a couple of weeks ago.

When all is said and done the lads produced the result we wanted and that’s what really matters.

As in the League Cup game at Adams Park, I was very impressed with Billy Waters (number 20) for the Cobblers.

• A lot of good performances without creating a huge amount of goal scoring chances. Kashket stood out to me as a class apart. So nice having strength in depth after all this time. I hope Gareth manages to keep the tight knit team spirit and keep fringe players motivated and engaged which is not a problem we have had before.

I really liked being able to watch online! Pretty good picture and great to have the commentary from Phil. My ifollow often cuts out saying I am trying to watch two streams at once which is very annoying. I definitely am not trying to watch two streams!

• did anybody on here actually go to the game ? cos I did and it was absolute garbage ! we were awful and northampton worse ...... not sure if anybody has played themselves into the team for the weekend and cowan hall sulking and fred not trying were two of the unsuprising things to come out of the game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @rmjlondon said:
    did anybody on here actually go to the game ? cos I did and it was absolute garbage ! we were awful and northampton worse ...... not sure if anybody has played themselves into the team for the weekend and cowan hall sulking and fred not trying were two of the unsuprising things to come out of the game.

Sorry @rmjlondon but I went to the game and I can't say I really recognize any of the above comments from what I witnessed. It was a game of two halves however, and we were pretty lucky not to concede in the latter stages although we really should have been 3-0 up by then. Quite enjoyed it and certainly not rubbish IMHO.

• One of the unsurprising things to come out of the game was rmjlondon deciding to go against the grain and be negative when everyone else could see the positives.
    For an experimental team with several players out of position it was an encouraging performance but I guess if you’re expecting us to play like Barcelona or Manchester City you’re always going to be disappointed.

• How did Fred do?

• @peterparrotface - Richie has already given you his considered opinion on Fred's performance. What more do you want?

• Just ok would be my verdict. He isn’t yet up to speed so I think it will take a couple more games before we see the best of him. To accuse him of ‘not trying’ is nonsense.

• I was pleased with Fred's performance. Good tackling back and some great bursts of pace. I thought Paris was excellent as well - tidying up in defence and then involved in the build up to Kashket's goal. Agree it was a game of two halves but more about Northampton coming out a different side to the one we saw in the first when they were utterly gash. And as for the catering!

• Please chaps, don't quote Richie's nonsense. It defeats the point of having him on block!

In general with last night's game it's hard to get too excited, when it's an empty stadium and a lot of rotation, but a very positive outcome. Games for those who needed it, a full 90mins for Kashket with a terrific goal, others like Samuel looked promising, and no injuries and the prize money.

We're now well placed to come top 2 in this cup and go on further. It'd be fun to get some big club away, as apart from West Ham they have to play at their home ground don't they?

Having said that, I'm actually tempted to watch the home games on ifollow...it's hard to beat clicking a button and watching it versus going! In this cup anyway.

• @malone, get off your fat arse and go and support the team. the ticket only cost £5

• I thought Fred was pretty decent. Does look like he needs a little more game time but caused the defence a few problems. Freeman though, superb.

• @rmjlondon said:
    @malone, get off your fat arse and go and support the team. the ticket only cost £5

Fuck off back to the club shop dickhead

• Bringing the thread back ... @drcongo , I agree, Freeman has really put a marker down as the replacement for Blooms (assuming he's not allowed to play) on Saturday. Certainly stronger claims than Thompson, I'd say.

I have a sneaking feeling that when he was initially on trial with us he played as an attacking midfielder rather than as a forward, and he certainly looked good in that role last night.

• @rmjlondon said:
    @malone, get off your fat arse and go and support the team. the ticket only cost £5

Of course it costs nothing to get there doesn't it. Work doesn't mind me taking an hour or so off at the back end of the day, they will still pay so I can likewise pay my bills. DOFL!

• @rmjlondon said:

So do you support the team and then rush home and coat them off on here?

• How did that Liverpool starlet do? Hatter richie yet again has nothing but praise for the team that he supports.

• The glorious irony of having been a season ticket holder for more years than Richie has been alive (i'm guessing, on the maturity of his posts), plus a pretty trim guy

• Now then Malone, you’re just sulking and not trying.

• Not sure what i enjoyed more, Kashket's lovely goal, or Charlie Fox's extraordinary Jason Cousins throwback tackle.

• Did you actually spend your £5 pocket money and go to the game like richie @floyd because your description sounds a long way away from what actually happened. We was garbage apparently. Open your eyes.

• haha, just the youtube highlights. Obviously they're so short because we were trash for 88 minutes...