Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

13»

Comments

• edited September 2018

Where have you seen or heard that, @mooneyman? A very fair-minded report from their club website here: https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2018/september/match-report-for-wycombe-wanderers-vs-luton-town-on-01-sep-18/

• I agree, a very fair-minded report, and I have drained my glass, but going for a topup. Cheers veryone

• As most people seem to agree that it was a great game for the neutral...I cannot see why the Luton fans were so negative. I suppose they are worried we will beat them at their place at a crucial stage of the season again?

• I don't think you have to be a neutral to think it was a great game. I enjoyed it far more, for example, than the tame end-of-season promotion party in May.

• From Wikipedia: "Jones is a devout Christian who credits his faith with getting him through bad times: "It keeps you grounded. There's a lot of temptations, a lot of pitfalls nowadays, especially for a sportsman – and I think through God's guidance I've been able to steer clear of them. Through the hard times I've always had the stability of the Lord in my life and my family background has kept me on the straight and narrow."

Not sure if peace on earth and goodwill to all men is in Nathan's copy of the Bible.

• @Wendoverman I think Lu'on fans may have a slightly unrealistic idea of how well they play. Like Plymouth, we'll always be 'cheating, time-wasting, long-ball Wycombe' to them, no matter what we do, but I've certainly seen nothing in our recent games against those teams to suggest that they play the game any better than we do.

• I hate to state the obvious, but it really is something when a set of fans idolise Danny Hylton then think they have the moral highground to complain about someone else's shithousery

Anyway, it was a blatant foul on Matt Bloomfield. 100% a penalty

• @eric_plant both looked obvious to me....but if I was them I would be more worried about four players against (if I recall correctly) a chasing back Dominic 'Giant' Gape and the goalie and still failing to score. @Jonny_King I remember thinking they are hoofing it a bit during the game but that was obviously silky skills too foreign to my eyes. From my vantage point behind the dug-outs the Reverend was getting quite irate with his goalie and some of his players...which was pleasing to see.

• I was amused by the way Jones went crazy at the goalkeeper when he mishit a kick into touch during the second half. Not IMO the best way to help the player's confidence.

• that four on one should have been stopped on the edge of their area. Kashket should have committed a foul, taken a booking and allowed everyone to get back in position

Jones' tirade at their keeper was only matched by Ainsworth's directed at Anthony Stewart when he went for a run out of defence and got dispossessed on the halfway line

Must be very stressful being a football manager

• Unfortunately you can't legislate for idiotic play from your players. Stewart's run was reckless!

Not sure Kashket could have done anything, as he was caught out by the bounce, and expertly shows why you don't leave a short player on the edge like that

• To be fair...perhaps AS thought he would re-enact Alfie's wonder goal at Kenilworth Road? Sido, Stewart and Mccarthy were great on Saturday, not sure about JJ defensively, though his dead-ball delivery is still good. Hopefully, lessons learned will being us three points on Saturday.

• @eric_plant A Lu'on fan posted slow-mo footage of the first penalty decision online in a bid to prove it was a dive. I tried to watch it objectively, but all I could see from it was that it was 100% a foul as you say. The defender was in trouble as soon as Blooms got goalside of him and was stupid to lean into him like that.

The handball was bang in front of me and was again a stonewall pen, as well as the weirdest bit of penalty box netball I've ever witnessed. Didn't see a push myself.

But it's Wycombe, so hey, we cheated.

• I'd have to see it again, but I thought it was classic "experienced" work from Bloomfield.
    Get in front of their man, feel the contact and go down.

• Oh I agree he was definitely looking for it, but he clearly drew a foul, rather than just taking a dive as suggested by some.

• Also they had three blokes hanging on Bayo for every throw-in, free-kick and long ball....and yet HE is a cheat who gets every decision and should have had a straight red!!

• Bloomfield was so superb, and I hope he is not going to miss any games.

I love Sido's Inspector Gadget reach to clear the danger too. My word is he fun to watch.

• edited September 2018

It's great to see Bloomfield's latest resurgence from being written off. I definitely thought him and Bean shouldn't start together, but it's clear it was a little harsh to throw him into the same mix.
    But others were chuntering on about not being League 1 standard, like he wasn't league 2 standard the last few years...

Roll on a Bayo goal and masterclass soon, as i'm getting sick of this "can't do league 1" thing that seems to be gathering speed. Rather than the more reasonable truth that he's taking time to get match fit, and we weren't playing that well to start the season.

• Too right, @Malone. People forget the overlap between the divisions when talking about "standard". To me, "Coming 3rd in L2 standard" is at least "Middle of L1 standard"

• If Matt was suffering from concussion I don’t think he is allowed to play next Saturday. If he starts or is on the bench tomorrow that is good news and to be honest I don’t think I would have said that a couple of years ago.

• @Shev Watching Sido is a genuine pleasure.

• He was utterly magnificent on saturday

• Why wasn’t Sonny Bradley sent off on Saturday after previously been booked.