Skip to content

Bank Holiday Monday entertainment

With so many events washed out today due to the weather Bank Holiday Monday is a chance to get out in the fresh air again. Here’s a list of what’s on (all 3pm kick-offs) starting with the big Wycombe derby!

HELLENIC LEAGUE PREMIER DIV

Flackwell Heath v Holmer Green

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH

Hemel Hempstead v Chelmsford City
Oxford City v Wealdstone
Slough Town v Dulwich Hamlet

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREM DIV (S)

Kings Langley v Chesham United

SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIV 1 CENTRAL

Berkhamsted v Aylesbury FC
Aylesbury United v Thame United
(at Chesham United FC)

Plenty of local derbies with above average crowds & reasonable admission prices. It’s got to be better than working!!!

Comments

• What you going for And?

• Another one for you (I’m having a struggle to keep up with the league re-organisation!

BOSTIK LGE DIV 1 SOUTH CENTRAL

Marlow v Chalfont St Peter

• @peterparrotface This is slightly quirky but for me it’s Berkhamsted v Aylesbury. It’s the only ground I can walk to but have to cross over canal lock gates to get to the ground. The “matchday experience” at Berkhamsted will be greatly enhanced after September 4th when the local Weatherspoon’s re-opens after an extensive refurb. Very good chippy outside the railway station (next to the ground).

• @A_Worboys What's Berkhamsted's ground like? My parents live close by and I keep meaning to catch a game there some time. Certainly a nice place to have a ground by the canal. And yes, that is a very good chippy by the station!

• @Jonny_King Berkhamsted FC’s ground is fairly basic but does have covered terracing behind both goals. One side is basically a fence with a walkway while the opposite side has a small stand and a section of uncovered terracing.

In recent times there’s a lot of controversy in the town as local junior side Berkhamsted Raiders are trying to get hold of the ground, lay a 3G pitch and make it a “community stadium” to be used by both Berkhamsted FC and Berkhamsted Raiders. This is fiercely opposed by the former who want to preserve their grass pitch. Reminiscent of many recent scenarios with interloping sports clubs trying to take over another’s prime asset!

• Cheers Andy. Sounds like Berkhamsted Raiders are aptly named.

Presumably if Berkhamsted's pitch was converted to 3G, they'd lose their deal with Watford Ladies to play there?

• edited August 2018

@Jonny_King Watford Ladies play at Kings Langley, but clubs use 3G pitches in the Women's National League.

• @peterparrotface ah ok, cheers. I had it in my head WLFC played there too.

• @Jonny_King Watford Ladies used to play at Berkhamsted but switched to Kings Langley at the beginning of last season.

• Cheers Andy.

• Full-time: Berkhamsted 1 Aylesbury 1

Keenly-fought derby match ended all square. Berkhamsted led at half-time through a Courtney Massey penalty following a handball. Aylesbury equalised on 86 minutes through Aaron King then had a player sent off for a bad two-footed challenge.

Overall a fair result. The home side had the better of the first-half but lost their way in the second allowing Aylesbury back into the game. Attendance: 174

• Local results today:

Flackwell Heath 0 Holmer Green 0

Hemel Hempstead 3 Chelmsford 5
    Oxford City 3 Wealdstone 0
    Slough Town 1 Dulwich Hamlet 2

Kings Langley 1 Chesham United 0

Aylesbury United 0 Thame United 1
    Berkhamsted 1 Aylesbury 1

Marlow 0 Chalfont St Peter 0

• Chesham seem to be falling like a stone.

• I went to the Marlow game and spoke to a couple of other Wycombe supporters who helped to swell the atttendance to 122. A fast and physical encounter between two evenly matched teams with few chances for either side. Bust up at the end with two red cards being shown to opposing players.

• Flackwell Heath v Holmer Green won't live long in the memory.

• Berkhamsted 1-1 Aylesbury, 3 stars for entertainment, Berko 1-0 up at HT thanks to a penalty for handball, hotly contested. The Moles, with an impressive "Pierre built-alike" at CB (Derek Feyi), scored a deserved 86th minute equaliser for their first point of the season. Good attendance of 174.

The main talking point for me was the poor state of the pitch for this time of year, uneven and crumbly, it seemed to contribute to numerous injuries. It can only undermine The Comrades continuing battle to keep it from being converted to 3G.

• I went to Orient 3-0 Dover. Anthony Jeffrey featured in the front three for Dover who also had former WW trialist and commentators dream, Nortei Nortey on the bench.

Matt Harrold came on late and headed the final goal for the Os. Things are certainly buzzing again at Brisbane Road after an unbeaten start to the season and the new owners are very popular indeed.

• @bluntphil said:
    I went to Orient 3-0 Dover. Anthony Jeffrey featured in the front three for Dover who also had former WW trialist and commentators dream, Nortei Nortey on the bench.

Matt Harrold came on late and headed the final goal for the Os. Things are certainly buzzing again at Brisbane Road after an unbeaten start to the season and the new owners are very popular indeed.

Sounds good news @bluntphil would like to see the O's back in the EFL personally.

• To replace MK Dons hopefully!