Plymouth Argyle (a) (League One) 2018 / 19 - Match 4 - Attendance Predictions

Comments

• 7313 with 120 Chairboys.

• 7313 with 120 Chairboys.

• 7007 with 135 from Wycombe.

• 7800 cavemen 175 NASA scientists. still not confident 2-0 blues

1. 115 Wycombe.

1-0 win for us.

• There are 23 predictions to date. We say 7348 with 146 of us.

Link to the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15vnOWWXCxWpZ1xfBhrpAo_MKo_i7Se0mEdEKzwrtIU8/edit?usp=sharing

I took a couple of days off work and we caught the overnight sleeper down to Penzance, arriving back in Plymouth shortly. Hope the game will equally be a treat. Weather overcast currently. Safe journey to those making it.

• I've tried not to respond to this honest but I am intrigued.

You caught the late night sleeper last night from reading? You travelled through Plymouth station first thing this morning but didn't get off for another two hours until it reached Penzance? After a presumably very short walk around Penzance, you have now got a train back to Plymouth? Your life obviously but may I ask why? Can't imagine there will be hugely large numbers of us there this evening (231 in fact), pop over and say hello if you have the chance. (I'm the extremely good looking mid fifties guy who doesn't look a day over 54)

• Thought I’d said 1-1 @railwaysteve but perhaps it was on the WHC thread.

• The clue is probably in @railwaysteve's name @DevC. For some hard working and highly dedicated people railway travel is cheap to the point of being free (albeit not the sleepers, but still the best way to travel) and far far preferable to the M4/M5/A38 in August

• I cant say this concerns me overly Booker but my interest was mildly raised.

It would appear if I have understood Mr Steve's post correctly that he got on the sleeper at say Reading at 0046 last night, travelled west, chose not to get off at Plymouth at 0549 but continue on to Penzance arriving at 0755 and then left Penzance at 0900 to arrive back at Plymouth at 1054 very possibly pulled by the same locomotive.

The view from Penzance railway station back across the bay to St Michaels Mount is no doubt a magnificent one but not to my mind quite worth a two hour train journey in each direction for 1 hour in Penzance even if the train journey is free. Obviously each to his own but I wondered what Railway's motivation was for doing so. I wonder if we will ever know. I don't suppose it matters much anyway.

• Perhaps he wanted a lie-in?

• Hmmmm two hours on a nice comfortable train relaxing, reading a book, listening to music (or more realistically beavering away on his spreadsheets) or a walk round Plymouth at 06.00 on a grey morning. I know my preference!

• Penzance is considerably nicer than pretty much anything Plymouth has to offer (and High Wycombe to be fair).

• edited August 2018

Be careful saying that out loud tonight Johnny. Penzance more attractive than the Hoe? Many a man has been tarred for much less.

It feels a little unlikely that Steve's 5 hour excursion was merely to pass the time - he could instead simply have had a night in his own bed and caught say the 0757 train from Reading to arrive in Plymouth at roughly the same time. I feel there must be another explanation.

I wonder if he is visiting England's largest 400 towns in alphabetical order. sleeper train tonight to Poole and he has knocked off three in one trip. Heaven.

• @DevC - Just in case others are disquieted, an explanation follows, . At the game I will look out for you, it would be interesting to compare threads.

I live in East Anglia and we caught the sleeper at Paddington. Breakfast in Penzance - better than breakfast on the train - the sleeper stops at Plymouth at silly o'clock. The fare on the sleeper is the same wherever we alight. The hard working and dedicated bit is right @bookertease - the train back to Plymouth is free for me except I had to pay the WiFi so I could do the spreadsheets.
    Check in at the hotel started at midday.
    Now I have mostly explained I have lost my exotic eccentrcity and nobody will be making any more predictions. I will have to change names in order to prevent a dead thread.....

Happy travelling to anyone else making the long journey.

• Fair enough mate. A slightly disappointingly prosaic tale in truth and I cant honestly say I would have made the same choices but each to there own and I hope you enjoyed the view across the bay.

The joys of staff discounted or free travel are indeed a rare pleasure. One of my fondest memories is bumping into an old school friend at Seychelles Airport who then regaled me with how successful he had been in life for the next 45 mins. The look on his face when I boarded into first class was a pleasure. I don't think I ever remembered to tell him that I'd only paid £20 for the flight.......

1. 151 away fans.
  • edited August 2018

The club have just announced they've pre-sold 151 tickets, which puts most of our predictions way under. Tremendous effort it has to be said.

I'd go to Penzance just for breakfast if i could.

• Update: according to some 14 year olds from Plymouth on twitter (thanks @Jonny_King) 151 is a terrible effort and we should all be ashamed of ourselves. Funny old world.

• To be fair Floyd, for a relatively small club like us, that is pretty good. For a much bigger club like Argyle it would be pretty disappointing. If I was an Argyle fan I might want to reflect how come a great big like Argyle with all those fans and all that income are only in the same league as "Little old Wycombe". Says a lot don't you think guys?

• Sadly I fear anyone taking a lateish train down may not see much of the game. Sadly sounds like a suicide around Taunton. Poor bugger.

• 7401 with 160 Wycombe 1-1

• 6874 (231 Chairfolk)

I hope my late admission from sunny Murcia is acceptable...

• It was 9,244 with 237 Chairboys.

• edited August 2018

Cracking effort by anyone who made this trip. That's terrific commitment.

• Impressive, from both home and away.

• edited August 2018

I will try to keep to comments about the attendance on here, although it will be difficult after such a performance on the field. Huzzah.

Lots to be pleased with the predicting: A win for @NorsQuarters who predicted the largest crowd - 7835. Good positive predicting by @NorsQuarters. The rollover prize could be on its way to Norway - I will message you.

There were nearly 2000 more home fans than we thought. I still think it was a large crowd for them - close to their average for last year for a Tuesday night game in August and for such a big club they are languishing a bit down the bottom of the division. Two thoughts - it is either the rivalry dating back 4 seasons - in which case we were right to fill the stadium with the sound of
    "You're only here for the Wycombe". Lovely moments.
    The other thought is that there is a 'Blackpool' effect where holidaymakers attend games in the holiday season. @DevC - can you say if this happens - if that is so we might have gained a few new fans - Huzzah again, although what were they all doing in the away end

The predicting of the away attendance was better than the for the total crowd. @DevC and @YorkExile were within six with 231. Top notch predicting that.

The final spreadsheet is now ordered according to the away prediction for anyone who is interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15vnOWWXCxWpZ1xfBhrpAo_MKo_i7Se0mEdEKzwrtIU8/edit?usp=sharing

I am also pleased that there were 25 predictions. I suspect that none of them will count in the 'Tour de Season' as we will all have ten which are closer by the end of the season..

Bradford thread up sometime today - probably from the train home this afternoon.
    Tour de Season thread up in six games time.

"You're only here for the Wycombe" - the song of the evening at Home Park.

• Not aware of a massive neutral holidaymakers effect - don't think Lg1 is that attractive to that demographic to be honest.

Argyle have had a few successive good seasons and have built some momentum. Its a reasonably large city with uncompeted catchment down well into Cornwall. They should attract big crowds really.

• Thanks @railwaysteve but I’ve wandered out to the Cayman Islands now. Would love to get a copy of the programs as it’s a bit far for me to get to games these days. I could give the postage to Wycombe Homeless Connection along with my entry to the @DevC contest but otherwise it’s just fun playing. Good on you for setting it all up!

• No worries @NorsQuarters - both programmes will be on their way. Part of the fun for me will be posting to an exotic location - Wycombe fans are everywhere.
    You should have a private message from me in your inbox, if you reply with an address then I will post the two programmes.
    I'll let you know the cost and you can make a donation to the worthy cause as you wish.