Skip to content

Northampton (h) (Carabao Cup) Attendance Predictions

2»

Comments

• edited August 2018

Sorry about the lack of spreadsheet. Work interfered with listening to the match so I didn't get time. I plan to do it Weds evening and post then.

Actual attendance was 1999 with 427 from Northampton. @micra was within 1 with 2000, which is excellent predicting worthy of a round of applause. I can't do that emoticon on here yet so I have liked the prediction. Anyway - well done sir.

@micra, @Twizz - The usual small print is that predictions less than an hour before kick off are in a category for their and don't count for prizes. mmmm.... I also regret to also say that there no prizes on offer for this prediction.

• @micra - I couldn't do a congratulation round of applause emoticon on here yet so I liked your prediction. Anyway - well done Sir.

• Thanks @railwaysteve. Nice to wake up to!

• Interesting figures. Very low home turn out, and Northampton a lot more than anyone gave them credit for.

• Quite disappointing to see the terrace so empty but I feel we made some decent noise last night regardless.

• @railwaysteve @micra I knew my original crowd prediction was wildly optimistic as soon as I started driving down an empty Hillbottom Road. As it turned out my original away prediction was closer, though. I'm really not very good at this.

• I wonder why the attendance was so low. Wycombe have had success in the league cup - perhaps a ridiculous suggestion, but do you think the constant name change has belittled it, and put it in the same standings as the Checkatrade?

• @prufrock_91 , the first round seems to struggle, even when we were getting championship teams seemingly every time.
    Mix of it still being holiday season, and an extra game in a packed opening? An extra to the season ticket as well.

Goodness knows how low the Checkatrade will come out!

• School holidays, dull opposition, devalued competition and not part of the season ticket. No real surprise.

• @prufrock_91 In my opinion the underselling of the match as an event by the club will have contributed to the lower numbers. Instead of the usual "Come on down to Adams Park and support your wonderful Wycombe Wanderers!" type of encouragement that is usually published, we get something more along the lines of "Well, it's not going to be much of a game so we're not going to fully open the stadium, but we'll open a couple of stands so if you feel you must come you will be able to get in."

It almost gives the impression the club would rather have just played it behind closed doors and got it over and done with, and must have put some less committed Wycombe fans and occasional attendees off from coming.

• edited August 2018

Surprised they didn't even put one bus on. To cut it out completely would definitely not help.

Those days we used to have about 5 or 6 different routes picking up all sorts of places seem like some kind of golden era now.
    Good there is some sort of offering now, but for me they made it unworkable when they changed the park n ride to be the first stop rather than the last one.
    Instead of being able to whizz up there, spend about 10mins on the bus and get in at about 2.45-2.50, it's now the first stop, much much earlier, and you spend 40mins or so on there, going all over the place out of your way, when you started a mere 2 miles from the ground!

• @Malone Your mention of a "golden era" brings back memories of using the bus that linked the ground with Downley, Terriers, Hazlemere and Penn. On more than one occasion people had to get off so that the clapped out old vehicle could make it up Plomer Hill on the way home, then get back on at the top.

• Plomer Hill! Now that is one severe hill! I would not want to be on a bus going up there!

• Doesn’t sound like anyone ever was!

• edited August 2018

On the nose!
    Spreadsheet showed me: @Manboobs had what I believe is our first ever spot on prediction. 1999 on the nail. Congratulations twice over. Extreme predicting.

As well as @micra being just one out with 2000, @bookertease was just three away with 2002.

21 predictions in all and as mentioned elsewhere we overestimated in general by about 10%.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t3uAiKjnZJY3JEfc7ia3FuEbWMc97GMO_YHtoilOjS4/edit?usp=sharing

On to Saturday. Up the Blues.

• I was going to claim a smidgin of credit for @Manboobs triumph on the grounds that he made his prediction very swiftly after mine but that claim might be seen as having been undermined by @bookertease’s opening gambit of 2002, a prediction which I hadn’t noticed at the time. Of course.

• @micra said:
    I was going to claim a smidgin of credit for @Manboobs triumph on the grounds that he made his prediction very swiftly after mine but that claim might be seen as having been undermined by @bookertease’s opening gambit of 2002, a prediction which I hadn’t noticed at the time. Of course.

I was going for 2000 but saw it had been claimed and then I remembered I wasn’t going... the rest is history.