Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackpool

2»

Comments

• I thought we had the better of the game especially in the first half but after the sending off I’m taking the point El abd and Stewart looked strong

• @trevor , perhaps not when he's injured, you shimmering ape ;)

• A good point as they say; shows we can do more than just hold our own at this level. Shooting practice all round I would think after wasting so many chances to take all three today but we’re off the mark. Now if only we can start making a noise...

• Positives for me included Stewart looking very confident, an assured debut for Allsop and Saunders looking fit and sharp in the centre. Harriman looked exhausted long before his sending off and perhaps isn't as fit as some of the others. I'm not as big a fan of Rendell Williams as others on here - I'd like to see the sort of passion from him we see from PCH, that desire to get a goal and the frustration of being subbed off. I'd like to see Freeman starting and CMS on for Bayo a lot sooner in the match. We absolutely have to make some signings in central midfield this week - Bean did not cover himself in glory and Bloomfield only came into the match with 20 mins to go. Still, nice to be mid table, long may it last!

• I thought we played quite well. Pleasantly surprised at how well the midfield three did in the conditions. I thought we were the better team and really should have won the game. Paris very involved but irritatingly wasteful.

• @aloysius Strange that. Typical 1st game of the season & I couldn't go due to work commitments. Able to listen to almost the entire match on IFollow. From the commentary, I had a polar opposite view to yous? Bean outstanding for most of the match, Bloomers gave a LON performance, in particular 1st half and generally we bossed the match just didn't put away any of 4/5 (half) chances? As I say, wasn't there so not arguing your opinion.

• Not a bad start and a decent enough game considering the conditions. A bit disappointed we couldn't nick the win, but a draw is probably fair. I thought we shaded it overall and created the more chances, but were let down by our finishing, which was unusually wayward. Blackpool created less, yet looked very threatening on the attack and it took some at times quite brilliant defending to keep them at bay. Both keepers made one excellent save apiece, but otherwise it was mostly routine stops for Allsop, while we struggled to hit the target.

Allsop looks great already. Watching the dvd of last season, I was struck by how many of the goals we conceded were extremely soft from a goalkeeper's perspective. I liked Brown, but I think Allsop will soon prove a considerable upgrade, commanding his box far better and making fewer costly mistakes.

I thought we played ok, mixing up our attacks with some good passing moves, long balls down the channels and the good old big kick up to Bayo.

Defence looked good and solid and if we keep creating like that the goals will come. A couple more new faces and I think we'll be alright in this division, comfortable mid-table.

Midfield, for all the doubts, did ok I thought. Bean doing the ugly graft, Bloomfield doing the L09 hard work box to box and Saunders gettigg a more time on the ball to pick his pass. Blooms' passing let him down a bit early on.

Bayo good but a little off his game, Williams and PCH both looked decent, Paris fluctuating between dazzling attacking play and sitting on the floor moaning at the ref. I don't mind the latter so long as we get the former too.

Freeman looked very good when he came on and I hope he gets a few more chances to start this season. Still not sure what his best position is though and I'm notconvinced we so either.

El-Abd and Stewart excellent. Honourable mention for Jacobson's set pieces, which caused a lot of problems.

The sending off looked harsh. It looked like an accidental bumping together. Certainly both players stayed on their feet and I wasn't aware of the Blackpool player claiming anything (could be wrong there). I assume the ref deemed it a cynical attempt to stop him chasing the ball. If it was it was pretty stupid by Harriman with the ball running out of play and already on a yellow. Just frustrating because it looked so innocuous.

Ah well, a good point to give us hope and muffle the doom mongers until the next game at least.

• I'm so sorry, I didn't realise that was going to be so long! (Said the Bishop to the actress etc etc)

• Harriman's red card was not unlucky. It was sheer stupidity

• Yes agree not the wisest thing to do when on a yellow card already. Maybe a bit of tiredness clouding his thinking.

• I do wish PCH would stay on his feet

• I kind of get what StrongestTeam is saying about Saunders but there’s also a part of me that wants to see quite a bit more from him.

He’s got the talent but I can’t remember that many games that he’s taken by the scruff of the neck and really dominated.

He was pretty good today but I’d love to see him become the real lynchpin of the side.

• Yes, i'm thinking more along @TheatreOfChairs lines. Saunders could do more. Probably just expectation on perception of ability. Bloom is loved, and a real favourite, but I expect less of him in comparison.

Thompson has it all to prove, short term contract, a clear last choice for now. If we don't bring anyone in though, and if the Gape rumour has anything to it, he'll quickly get a chance, as Bean, Bloomfield and Saunders will do well to start 40 games each

• I thought Harrimans second yellow was a tad unlucky, seemed a regulation foul and no more
    .if we don't sign anyone it means no defenders on the bench at Doncaster.

• Beano can cover in defence as a last resort.

• I thought it was a good performance. Okay we were a bit shot shy but created a lot. Blackpool were a big side and shackled a (not 100 % fit apparently) bayo very well. I thought Williams and Paris both had good games. The back four were immense again though the second yellow looked pretty stupid to me, despite the ref being pretty inconsistent considering some of the Blackpool fouls. Bayo got two - yes two- free kicks!!!! I'm pretty sure gaz said Tyson and gape would be coming back from injury on his post match interview. I thought Saunders looked like he is getting back to his best and beanie and bloomy were better than i was expecting. We will start taking those chances soon. I'll take a point though we should have won it. Especially as luton won their game (c NJones ) despite actually losing.

• I’m pretty sure GA was referring to Gape and Kashket. He said they narrowly failed fitness tests but seemed likely to be OK for next Saturday. Mmmmm. Don’t recall any mention of Tyson but, if he pulled a hamstring eight days ago, I wouldn’t have thought he’d be ready for at least another couple of weeks. Really hope I’m wrong.

• When I arrived at Adams Park, Gape and Kashket were undergoing a fitness test. No sign of Tyson.

• I think it was more like we've still got gape Tyson and kashket to come back rather than them being necessarily close to coming back. If that makes sense.

• Not to mention Charles of course.

• The fan base genuinely needs to stop shitting itself, Gaz has is on lock down

• Created the chances> @mooneyman said:

Beano can cover in defence as a last resort.

Hmm..I still have nightmares about him at RB in the play off final...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018

Is there an accepted definition of a "Rolls Royce of a player"? When I first heard it many years ago I figured it was a euphemism for top quality but I find it's generally only used with defenders.

As a result when I hear the phrase now I think: Physically imposing but with class and refinement. I'm over analyzing this, aren't I?

• Expensive to maintain!

• Did anyone see an Oyston? I saw someone in some expensive looking **** off shades in the box, laughing as they started chanting...

• And of course I was amused to hear Nathan explaining how Luton won their game in every way except scoring a goal.