Skip to content

Three At The Back

Comments

• Modrić

• Better than Kashket’s if their injury records are to go by.

• @mooneyman said:
    Modrić

Oooooh! Í can do that if í set my mind to it.

• We had a very successful season @Chris but we leaked a lot of goals. I would argue that the arrival of Rocky and Charles Atlas have restored our defensive strength to that of the ‘16/‘17 season. Not necessary to change, I agree, but I have been so impressed with the success of England’s switch that I foresaw a possible opportunity, with our strengthened rearguard, to give it a whirl. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• There's the rub....tight defence and no promotion...porous defence and promotion. If only Gareth can combine the two.

• I’m still working on your diss question @Wendoverman.

• edited July 2018

@micra or you could say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. It’s not entirely fair to say nothing ventured nothing gained when we’ve just gained promotion.

• @micra I thought that would be a simple yes or no....don't go all Dev on me, I have the attention span of a gnat these days.

• I’d forgotten what Plan A was and dissing slightly perplexed this old fogey

• @micra sorry old chap, I was merely pondering on whether or not your inquiries about the possibilities of a three man defensive formation were meant in some way to cast aspersions on the present manager's penchant for what some have criticised as a somewhat direct style of association football. As in, 4-3-3 and 'oof it up to the big man.

• He who casteth the first aspersion n all that? Not me, and I’m keeping well away from the manager’s penchant. He seems very young to be drawing one.

• @Chris "if it ain't broke you're not looking hard enough..."

• @LeedsBlue “The grass is always greener on the other side”

• It does look like it could be three at the back for the first half today unless Harriman is in midfield.

• It would also explain why we’re still apparently looking for a center back.

• Definite 532 / 352. We have started with Sido right sided centre half, trialist number 27 left centre half (who has started very well) and El Abd central of the 3. Wing backs Harriman and a slight looking trialist 24 on the left.

One Gareth taking inspiration from another?

• @micra credit to you - we played with three central defenders and two wing backs both halves and looked very comfortable at it. Sido played right-sided central defender first half, JJ left sided central defender second. Nick Freeman was good at left wingback, Harriman good at right wingback, though I didn't think much of the first half left wingback triallist or Thompson on the right in the second half.

We even played 'love train' corners when we had a chance to. Wonder if those will last long into the season!

The first half formation of 532 looked excellent, Kashket particularly sharp. The second half 541 was much less effective - we will need to provide more support to whoever is up front unless we're aiming for 0-0s all season.

I was very impressed by most of the triallists - the central midfielder playing 25 needs to be signed up asap; the central midfielder playing 26 and the central defender playing 15 also looked like excellent additions.

• Weren't we using the bus stop at corners long ago?

• @floyd said:
    It would also explain why we’re still apparently looking for a center back.

"centre"

• Thanks for acknowledging my prescience @aloysius ! Time will tell if it was just a one-off experiment.

• @micra said:
    I am almost certainly the oldest (and of course most venerated) person on Gasroom 2 so perhaps I can be excused for having forgotten that we were down to ten men against Carlisle

I don't think you are older than me (1932) but always enjoy your posts. keep it up.

• @wingnut you don't look 1932. I'd have said 1929ish. It must be the way you part your hair.

• Pure @Wendoverman ! Do you actually know @wingnut ?

You have a 6 year advantage over me @wingnut and surely have a strong claim to the title.

• If he's the fellow in the sharp suit, spats and al Capone hat then yes.

• @Wendoverman said:
    If he's the fellow in the sharp suit, spats and al Capone hat then yes.

Does he carry a Smith and Wesson?

• Nope but he probably knows someone who does.

• @wingnut : wheredya drink pardner? Kinda difficult to pick ya out from ole Wendy’s description.

• I gotta get ma booty sleep now.

• I am afraid I can't get to matches these days, and I don't own a snappy suit, Hence ny very few posts. Don't write about matters you don't know about I feel, not that this motto puts off many from what I see.

• edited August 2018

@wingnut, going to next to no games certainly doesn't stop others on here from thinking they know better from those who go every week, so play on player, play on!