Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New signing - Darius Charles

Darius Charles joins from AFC Wimbledon

Β«1

Comments

  • Julian Allsop rumoured to be signing an new number 1 keeper also......

  • Darius Charles good friends with Bayo, Paris and Beano

  • Good for team morale.

  • @fame_46 Do you mean Ryan Allsop?

  • I hope so, Juilian had a strange Banana fetish !!

  • Just realised the typo and my immediately thoughts were Julian Clary keeping goal next season......

  • Should put an end to the Aaron Pierre returning hope/rumours. Darius is a huge beast of a man and at 30 has plenty of experience. Remember him battering a few of our boys in the past.

  • Ive always been impressed with Darius, could be an impressive partnership with Adal al Abb.

  • Yeah I think that ends the Pierre rumours for now. Definately needs to get fit and play regularly at Northampton in the short term......

  • Pierre was never an option as we couldn't get anywhere near what Northampton are paying him.

  • That season where we won 3-1 away at Stevenage (play off final season), am I remembering correctly, that he absolutely smashed Ingram leaving an open net for them to go 1-0 up?
    Was he a striker that day?

  • Wimbledon STH friend says he’s very good and they’re quite disappointed to see him go. Good to have some proper competition for Stewart and El Abd.

  • You remember correctly @Malone - took Ingram out and then kicked the ball in the net. Perhaps he's partly been brought in as cover for Bayo, so we can put him up front and stick with Plan A if Bayo gets injured.

  • Excellent brief interview with Darius on Twitter (and probably on iFollow and/or the official website). Comes across as an articulate, positive and likeable guy. Exciting stuff.

  • @mooneyman said:
    Pierre was never an option as we couldn't get anywhere near what Northampton are paying him.

    Why not are they rich or somthing?

  • @trevor said:

    @mooneyman said:
    Pierre was never an option as we couldn't get anywhere near what Northampton are paying him.

    Why not are they rich or somthing?

    Β£10 million loan from council, half of which has gone awol into the hands of the last family ownership I believe. Most of debt effectively written off, so I guess that helps a lot with player funding. Not sure of current ownership, but I have vague memories that part of the takeover deal from the previous owners/thieves, (Cardozas?), was that most of the debt had to be written off? Sure someone can find an "e-trail" somewhere.
    As a football club, we have suffered financially, having to pay off debts and to some extent, we still are, though I understand we are in a much better place now. We need a huge slice of luck now, to find a cast off from a much higher up Championship/Premiership that we can make good and cash in on, to get a "cash surge", which will help keep the club in front. I still believe this football club is hugely benefited by GA and his backroom team staying & very much fear for our long term staying power when he does get tempted elsewhere.

  • @EwanHoosaami said:

    @trevor said:

    @mooneyman said:
    Pierre was never an option as we couldn't get anywhere near what Northampton are paying him.

    Why not are they rich or somthing?

    Β£10 million loan from council, half of which has gone awol into the hands of the last family ownership I believe. Most of debt effectively written off, so I guess that helps a lot with player funding. Not sure of current ownership, but I have vague memories that part of the takeover deal from the previous owners/thieves, (Cardozas?), was that most of the debt had to be written off? Sure someone can find an "e-trail" somewhere.
    As a football club, we have suffered financially, having to pay off debts and to some extent, we still are, though I understand we are in a much better place now. We need a huge slice of luck now, to find a cast off from a much higher up Championship/Premiership that we can make good and cash in on, to get a "cash surge", which will help keep the club in front. I still believe this football club is hugely benefited by GA and his backroom team staying & very much fear for our long term staying power when he does get tempted elsewhere.

    I thought our finances would pook pretty good considering the player sales over recent seasons and debts paid off to hayes and the costcutting etc?

  • But Northampton's attendances were almost double ours last season.

  • @mooneyman said:
    But Northampton's attendances were almost double ours last season.

    I did not know that i thought they got a similair attendance to us.

  • According to a quick web search, Northampton average attendance last season was approx. 5800 compared to Wycombe's approx. 4700, so only higher by about a quarter. I expect to see those figures reversed this coming season.

  • No need @trevor to copy down comments made 20 minutes before your response.

  • @micra said:
    No need @trevor to copy down comments made 20 minutes before your response.

    I agree.

  • I thought our finances would pook pretty good considering the player sales over recent seasons and debts paid off to hayes and the costcutting etc?
    It's all relative @Trevor. Finances look fantastic now when compared with 4 years ago thanks to the efforts of the boards, fans, etc. The reality is we can't relax, still have to take care of every penny as one bad season could set us back a long way & if the "perfect storm" arrives and GA departs @ a similar time the club will have another mammoth task ahead.
    That said I'moptimistic that this season coming will not be the struggle that some have predicted?

  • @EwanHoosaami agree. I think with the addition of a good goalie and defensive cover (and any other players GA/AH can afford!) we have a squad to survive in League One...and then we can build on that. (Having said that play-offs would be nice.)

  • If/when JJ signs, I would actually be happy going into the season with the squad we have and think it is one good enough to at least stay up. Any other additions, which there obviously will be, from hereonin are bonuses in my book. Can't wait to see what Gaz does next.

  • Given that we're looking nailed on to go straight up, we need to start thinking about which of them could cut it at championship level

  • By my estimation we have 18 players including JJ and Bean. Assuming those two are retained / replaced I'd agree that's a solid base and all that's needed is a couple of loanees in midfield and up front respectively should see us on target for a solid campaign.

  • @Callmepauly - Bearing in mind you are always going to have an absolute minimum of 2 or 3 injured, plus the odd suspension, with that number of players we will rarely be able to fill the bench.

  • I make it 19 if you include JJ and Bean.

    Out of contract (considering offers)

    Joe Jacobson
    Marcus Bean

    Contracted until summer 2019

    Yves Ma-Kalambay (contracted until 2019)
    Michael Harriman (contracted until 2019)
    Darius Charles (contracted until 2019)
    Luke O’Nien (contracted until 2019)
    Dominic Gape (contracted until 2019)
    Sam Saunders (contracted until 2019)
    Paris Cowan-Hall (contracted until 2019)
    Scott Kashket (contracted until 2019)
    Adebayo Akinfenwa (contracted until 2019)
    Nathan Tyson (contracted until 2019)

    Contracted until summer 2020

    Sido Jombati (contracted until 2020)
    Adam El-Abd (contracted until 2020)
    Anthony Stewart (contracted until 2020)
    Matt Bloomfield (contracted until 2020)
    Nick Freeman (contracted until 2020)
    Craig Mackail-Smith (contracted until 2020)

    Contracted until summer 2021
    Ryan Allsop (contracted until 2021)

Β«1
Sign In or Register to comment.