Skip to content

Goalkeepers

Assuming Yves isn't going to be our only keeper next season we must be looking at who's available. I personally think we'll be after a Blackman-style loan but there have been a few keepers released from other sides that might be of interest.

One that caught my eye was Luke Steele, who's been released by Bristol City after making 10 appearances last season. He's 33, used to be third choice at Manchester United before making his name at Barnsley. Could be what we're looking for?

Can any bigger footballing brains (here's your chance @Wendoverman) shed any light on who's available and would be good?

Comments

• Good shout but probably out of our price range in terms of wages. I think a loan keeper is more likely.

• The two ‘keepers at Wembley yesterday, on loan from Fulham (to Rotherham) and Manchester United (to Shrewsbury) both aged 21, 6’4” and 6’3” respectively, were shining examples of the goalkeeping talent available.

• We have been linked to Ryan Allsop along with Lincoln who are keen to sign him permanently after his loan spell this season

• He’s a much-travelled player - 11 clubs in 7 years - although 6 of these, including Wycombe, of course, have been on loan. He even had a spell in Iceland.

• @micra Now they’re not joining us in League One, Exeter’s Christy Pym might be worth a look. I believe he’s out of contract at the end of this season but do think he’ll be in demand.

• Probably end up at Franchise with a few other Exeter players.

• I think we’ll be looking for a taller ‘keeper @Ned_Ludd. He’s barely 6’ (same as Scott Brown) and I’ve a vague recollection of hearing Phil Catchpole describing him on commentary as “all at sea” when the crosses came in during a match against Exeter. It’d be interesting to hear from other Gasroomers on that aspect.

• @micra said:
    The two ‘keepers at Wembley yesterday, on loan from Fulham (to Rotherham) and Manchester United (to Shrewsbury) both aged 21, 6’4” and 6’3” respectively, were shining examples of the goalkeeping talent available.

Spot on. I feel we don't need a permanent keeper if we can get one of this calibre on a season long. Dean Henderson at Shrewsbury is very highly thought of at United and is supposedly about to sign a new long term deal to become number 3 behind De Gea & Romero. Now we won't be able to get him, but there's certainly keepers like that about.

• Clifty wasnt Heaton #3 at Manchester when he came to us? New management might not be as obliging as Alex Ferguson.

• Pym would attract a fee due to age. V unlikely to come to us.
    Plenty of good young keepers out there available on loan. QPR have three - my money would be on one of them.

• You know all about Matt Ingram, Dev, but who are the other two? I assume you are not including Smithies in your three.

• edited May 2018

Not sure I get this view that keepers have to be tall, Wycombe have done pretty well with ‘short’ keepers in the past.

• A tall keeper is a distinct advantage when you have central defenders whose main attribute is not being dominant in the air à la El-Abd

• A 6’0” or 6’1” keeper who is prepared to come for the ball still should deal with most aerial threats. It absolutely helps if your centre halves are good in the air too though, I agree; El Abd isn’t as bad in that regard as some make out though.

• smithies is QPR first choice, Micra as we all know.

Behind him they have both Ingram and Joe Lumley.

If Smithies stays, one of those two likely to be loaned out (again).

• edited May 2018

Matt Macey is a decent keeper think we could possibly land him on loan from Arsenal and he is 6'6".

• @aloysius anyone who thinks I have a footballing brain needs theirs examining. I have trouble remembering my own name never mind which goalies are any use. The most frightening thing is - you might have mixed me up with the much lauded expert that is richie. Now there's a footballing brain...

• Budget restraints mean Yeovil have released Artur Krysiak. He would do a job for Wycombe and would cost nothing plus he stands at 6' 4"

• Ah Heaton, he was a phenomenal keeper! Imagine getting that level of keeper in!

• Krysiak was barely good enough for League Two let alone League One