Skip to content

Sido - 2 more years

Delighted. Top guy. Was a bit concerned, but great news.

JJ now and that’s a damn good foundation

Comments

• excellent news...though surprised it was not richie announcing this.

• And Yves Ma-Kalambay for another year.

• Really pleased. Now if we can sign JJ it’ll have been a great start to the summer.

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    And Yves Ma-Kalambay for another year.

GA is looking at bringing in another keeper but beloved YM-K can provide competition for the no.1 shirt...

• Very nice to keep the bulk of the promotion winning team. Hopefully GA can now add a few fresh legs and skills.

• Wonderful news.

• Could Yves make it as the number one, what’s people’s thoughts?

• @PaulMyson10 I only saw him in goal for twenty minutes so impossible to say. He looked imperious and managed to keep a clean sheet though...

• That's particularly pleasing news.

We sometimes get a bit blase about players who've been with us for a few years without necessarily noticing when they make big strides forward.

I thought last season was a really big season for Sido, the first in which he's played more matches as a centre-half than as a right back, and he really delivered.

He's gone from second choice right (and left) back and fourth choice fill-in centre-back to a genuine contender to be first choice in the middle alongside his captain and will now give a fit Anthony Stewart a genuine run for his money.

If he'd been a summer signing people would have been raving about what a good piece of business it was.

In a season in which we had a few defensive troubles, and a few spankings as well, we looked at our most comfortable when Sido was paired with El-Abd, particularly at the tail-end of the campaign when we conceded just 4 goals in the 7 matches they played together after Sido came back from his injury.

El-Abd also looks a better player when he's alongside Sido. They just seem to complement each other really well with each filling in for the other's deficiencies.

• He's gone from second choice right (and left) back and fourth choice fill-in centre-back to a genuine contender to be first choice in the middle alongside his captain and will now give a fit Anthony Stewart a genuine run for his money.

The problem with that is he apparently really dislikes playing at CB.

• Good signing as he seems happy here and can play across the back four. We're going to need a great deal of togetherness next season as we grind out a promotion place! :-)

• Really pleased Sido has signed up but lets not get carried away. He can't be our first choice centre back next season. Useful back up though.

• Is that really true though or just hearsay?

One would imagine he prefers playing at CB to sitting on the bench watching Michael Harriman at right back.

He's 30 now and like other players before him, such as Jason Cousins, he should be ready to take on the responsibility of playing in a more important position for the team.

He's got all the attributes, in terms of size, pace and defensive capability. Of course with Sido there's the occasional brainstorm but they seem to be getting fewer - only Crawley away springs to mind from last season.

• Cambridge away was another classic Sido moment, luckily bailed out by Beany though.

• @Right_in_the_Middle we will be carried away until we lose the first game and we realise our whole lives have collapsed into doom and gloom and the Gasroom becomes Troll Base Camp.

• Sido has had a hot spell of form in the centre at the end of both the last two seasons now, after seemingly trying lesser options first.

Hopefully next time we'll recognise we have a good option at the ready.

He's been a good part of the 4 year journey we've been on, so great news he's here for a long time more.

• Sido at CB with Yves in goal? Now that's what you'd call Rock and Roll football. Or Heart-attack football. One or the other.

• Sido's favourite (and best) position is RB but his versatility will be very useful for us next season. A classy player who is really good to watch. Great news

• I’m loving this news. Sido is a joy.

• Yves is a dodgy keeper so I would suspect we will sign a number 1.

• Dodgy, @rmjlondon ? I’ve not heard him described as “dodgy” or seen evidence of “dodginess”.
    Recognised definitions include “dishonest or unreliable”, “potentially dangerous” and “of low quality”. Which, if any, of these categories do you put him in, based on the evidence you have presumably gleaned over a reasonable period of time?

• @micra those twenty minutes against Stevenage were an eye opener for those of us with a massive throbbing football brain and a litre of Cherry coke.

• Really pleased Sido has signed, he's my favourite player, a joy to watch and has more than proved himself as a first choice CB.

• Really pleased. Always enjoyable to watch and always happy when he’s on the team sheet

• @rmjlondon said:
    Yves is a dodgy keeper so I would suspect we will sign a number 1.

What keepers would you like to see in as number one?

Have we signed a goalie coach?

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Sido's favourite (and best) position is RB but his versatility will be very useful for us next season. A classy player who is really good to watch. Great news

Whilst I wouldn’t strongly disagree to any degree, personally I think Sido’s best position is CB. I feel he tends to mess around less and makes less mistakes, he’s unbelievable in the air considering.

I do think he is still a better threat going forward than MH, although I know plenty will disagree.

When you actually put that all into consideration you could argue that he is as important as JJ signing.

Come on JJ let’s have another two from you tomorrow please.

• @Bacon_Sandwich, I also agree Sido's best position is CB, he has to be more disciplined there and not get caught out of position, as he can do at RB.

From a recent interview, he may have a hankering to play up front, as Andy Kerr did, but that was not a great success. I would still like to see that happen in a friendly.

• I'd love to see him playing up front. Imagine what those telescopic legs could do in the 6 yard box.

• He could be the new “Beast”. Might work out. Correction, he’ll definitely need to work out.

• @drcongo said:
    I'd love to see him playing up front. Imagine what those telescopic legs could do in the 6 yard box.

Couldn't agree more. Perhaps we'd get to see more moments like this: