Skip to content

Non League Finals Day on Sunday

Anyone else headed to Wembley on Sunday for the Non-League Finals Day? It's become an annual treat for me now. This year sees Thatcham play Stockton in the Vase final followed by Brackley v Bromley in the Trophy. Four relatively small clubs probably won't make for the biggest of crowds (Hereford brought over 20,000 for the Vase final 2 years ago), but two games for £25 (and a quid for kids) at Wembley is decent value and a fun day out.

Comments

• As an added bonus Roger Johnson is currently playing for Bromley.

• Yup. Three of us in with the Bromley fans.

We seem to have a knack of being in with the beaten Trophy finalists (Grimsby and Macclesfield in the last two seasons) so might be advisable to lump on Brackley...

• I think I read somewhere that Bromley have sold 15,000 tickets for this.

• That's hugely impressive. Brackley have done nearly 6000, so maybe there'll be a bigger crowd than expected.

While i really enjoy the way the day has been set out (it's brilliant for the neutral, especially living a short train ride away) the downside can be that the early Vase KO (12.15) prevents fans from the far north getting there without a stupidly early start. Also, fans of the losing Vase finalists are generally in no mood to hang around for another game, especially if they have long journey home. Still, with my enthusiasm for football generally at a high water mark at the moment, I can't wait.

• Hope you have a great day and fingers crossed for Roger.

• I'm in block 227 Thatcham side.

• Almost directly opposite you then - block 203, Club Wembley.

• I'll be there too. Last year was a great day out

• I’ve got a spare free ticket if anyone wants to come along.

DISCLAIMER - will involve sitting next to me for two matches

• This Brackley Bromley game is a cracker.

• Felt a little like our Play Off game to be honest: Bromley seconds away from victory and ahead in the penalty shoot out only to lose in agonising fashion. Brackley thoroughly deserved their victory though.

• Thoroughly enjoyed the two games. I assumed that Stockton would win, Northern teams normally do, but Thatcham were much the better side. They were more eager, fitter and always had someone available. Stockton were a bit leaden footed and static, although better in the second half as Thatcham tired. I'm pleased that Thatcham won, they have some very good players and I'm not surprised they won the Hellenic League with 98 points and 129 goals, exactly the same as Bracknell although The Kingfishers conceded two fewer goals. If they keep their good players they could achieve back to back promotions.

I likewise thought that Bromley would win but failed to take into account Brackley's spirit and fitness. They had numerous chances in the second half, had Bromley on the rack for periods, and finished extra time the stronger. Their captain and centre half, Gareth Dean, was terrific, blocking shots and clearing up, so it was fitting he scored the equaliser right at the end of normal time. Roger Johnson strolled about and won his headers, looking very comfortable.

16000 Bromley fans was a very good turnout, half the 31,430 attendance, and helped create a good atmosphere. My first Non League Finals Day and I will go again.

• I stand corrected, just seen @drcongo's post that Brackley's goal was a Johnson o.g.

• ‘Pleased’ to continue our unlucky charm status with the beaten trophy finalists but the better team won in both of the finals. Thatcham were just that little bit more incisive in the Vase and Brackley outfought and outlasted their full-time opponents.

@Steve_Peart I’d seen Gaz Dean play for Solihull Moors a couple of seasons ago (seven of the squad today, plus two others who are injured, were in the team that won the Conference North with Moors). He didn’t want to make the jump to Conference National because of the increased travelling. I do think he could play higher though.