Skip to content

transfer speculation....

Comments

• @Wwfc2015_ Most of the loan players we have brought in over the last three years or so have been of a much higher standard than any we could sign permanently. Mawson, McCarthy, Blackman and Eze immediately spring to mind. Even Randell Williams was useful in getting us over the line last season.

The other big advantage is that if a permanent signing doesn't perform, you are still liable for his wages for the term of his contract, whereas a loanee can be sent back. Most loanees will have an incentive to perform well for us to enhance their prospects at their own club.

• I’d love to see Randell Williams back at Adams Park, whether on transfer or loan.

• Oh no...Gareth not making any signings....hope it's not another disastrous season.

• We were desperate for a keeper, and we certainly needed another centre back. With those two in, we could quite comfortably start the first game now. Hopefully Stewart is ready to go and make up for lost time, and is lucky not to have another long lay off next year.

It's also well worth waiting for the right loanees to come available.

• Premier League teams with players on extended holidays due to the World Cup will be using U23 players to fill in during pre-season training and games. Those lads will be thinking it's their time to shine until the first choice players return and clubs bring in additional players in the same positions. Then they will be looking for a loan, towards the end of the window. We have a good recent record of developing loan players, can almost guarantee game time and will be playing in League One so should be an attractive proposition when the time comes.

• Completely agree with the last two posts. Our squad is good enough to compete as it is and with the addition of a couple of loanees we could ‘make a noise’ as the manager d

• As the manager described it. Plenty of time to get the right ones in.

• Interesting listening to our ex manager Alan Smith on the radio today. He was praising Gareth Southgate and concluding a lot of his success was down to building a team with no ego's .
    I wonder if it was the ego's that stopped Mr Smith being successful here ????

• With a new experienced Number One, Stewart to come back, a new defender signed, we have a lot of attacking option for League One. I'm sure Gareth with come through with some adept loans. Exciting times. Still not got me season ticket though...

• A fine new defender (Darius Charles) who can play up front if necessary.

• Thomson in the latest club tweet. Decent signing if possible.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Thomson in the latest club tweet. Decent signing if possible.

Yep, definitely him pictured with the squad in Wales today. From the brief bits I've seen he seems very lively to me.

• Seems odd for the club to tweet that photo and not mention Thompson in any way.
    I don't see why we would need to bring him in on trial given that he has spent so much time with us last season.

• The follow up tweet does say he's been in training with us and according to the possibly correct Wiki he was released at the end of the season.

• He's out of contract and wouldn't otherwise have a proper pre-season training opportunity, so it could be that Wycombe are are just helping him out by letting him train with the squad to get his fitness levels up while he seeks employment. I think I would be right in saying it wouldn't be the first time and that Wycombe have done similar favours for other players in the past.

• Like Taffy Moore he is likely to fulfil a role where we have a lot of depth and we already have 3 players (Gape, Bean and Bloomfield) who play there very well. However with 2 of them in their career autumn he may be considered a decent long term investment.

• Sounds a decent arrangement. He gets a pre season, while we can make up for the inevitable missing players from sessions with a familiar face.

• If Marcus Bean hadn’t re-signed, Curtis would no doubt have been a virtual shoo-in. Competition in midfield may now limit his opportunities but he was impressive when he did play last season (all but one game from the bench) and I’d be very pleased if he is signed. A neat, tidy player and very competitive. Vague recollection that he can play left back but I’ve probably got that wrong because he always seemed to feature on the right.

• All about opinions, but I just didn't see enough from him. One, he barely played, and two, didn't really show anything beyond "adequate". Not sure he's a Bean type, but again - he barely played to make that judgement!

• Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we haven't signed him yet. Though as others have said, the fact he couldn't force his way into a League Two side doesn't suggest to me he's what we should necessarily be looking for in a League One squad. When he did play he seemed too keen to do the sort of step overs and tricks that would help him get noticed if they were successful - but in reality almost always lost us the ball. He felt to me a very un-Ainsworth style player in that regard - but maybe he just needs to be properly Wycombised this summer.

We'll get more of a clue if he's in Gareth's plans if he gets a run out on Saturday. It seems remarkable the friendlies are already on us when the World Cup won't even have been completed (and indeed England will be playing their last match at the same time if they lose tonight!)

• Are you sure you’re not confusing him with Randell Williams @aloysius when you refer to step-overs and tricks?

• Certain, yes.

• @micra I don't remember Randell Williams continually losing the ball though. His style of attacking the opposition naturally leads to him losing possession at times, but even Ronaldo does that occasionally!

• Funny how people see things differently @aloysius . I remember commenting on this forum after Thompson's late appearance at Luton away that he seemed very much a Wycombe (Ainsworth version) style of player, with regard to keeping hold of the ball late on and the "game management" (a.k.a. delaying tactics) aspects. Nevertheless, I agree with you that it would seem odd for a League One side to be interested in signing a player who couldn't command a regular place in that side in League Two, or a place at all in League Two for his then parent club.

• I thought he did okay when I saw him...but he did not get enough game time for me to properly assess his magical powers. Whatever happens, I trust that in Gareth We Trust?

• He made just four appearances for County last season, so probably wasn't anywhere near being fully match-fit/sharp when he joined us. I doubt we saw anything like the best of him.

Perhaps GA wants to see what a fully fit Curtis Thompson looks like. He's young and I agree he could be a good eventual replacement for Bean. I wouldn't base too much on Kevin Nolan not rating him, as that man clearly has a minimal grasp on reality. Certainly no harm in taking a look.

• Yep, no harm in the slightest having him around for pre-season.
    At absolute worst, he can cover for some of the slightly niggled players, at best we could get ourselves another player.

• Always excited when I see that A Trialist will be part of the squad tomorrow. The speculation that accompanies trying to name that guy is always a huge part of the pre-season fun and games.
    Today there is A Trialist next to Kashket in the pictures on the website.

• The guy next to Kashket in the picture looks a bit like Josh Umerah.

• A Trialist seems to back every year trying to get a contract. Have to admire his persistence I suppose. Must be getting old now though