Skip to content

Barnet or Morecambe?

With pretty much everything tied up at the top of L2 now (barring an unlikely break back into the play offs for Mansfield), who would you prefer to see stay up – Barnet or Morecambe? Unlikely as it would have seemed a few weeks ago Barnet are probably favourites to survive the drop: in good form and facing Chesterfield at home, while Morecambe have to travel to Coventry. Personally I quite like both clubs. Morecambe might be a bogey team and Ellison is a great pantomime villain, but Jim Bentley has done a great job there in the face of huge financial problems, while you have to admire Martin Allen’s ability to save Barnet yet again. I’d have preferred to see our auld enemy Yeovil facing the drop but really can’t choose between those two.

Comments

• I'll feel very sorry for whichever club goes down, and both managers.

Both teams survive in the FL admirably on small attendances. Bentley seems like a salt of the earth bloke who's stuck with the club through some dark times, but it would be heartbreaking for Allen not to finish this potentially glorious great escape.

• It's probably best if Morecambe go down. If they stay up they're getting 6 less points next season anyway....

• Morecambe because of Müller and Thompson.

• I want Morecambe to stay up

• Would prefer Barnet to stay up, simply for locality!

• Barnet. Far too many long and miserable trips to Morecambe these past few years. Something I’m glad we don’t need to worry about next season regardless.

• Very odd the situation at Morecambe. Christie Park wasn't the greatest of grounds but it had its own charm. The "Globe Arena" is a virtually 3-sided rather soul-less place. My uncle (in law) was a regular every game at Christie Park but has not seen a single Morecambe game since they moved. New grounds don't necessarily see an upturn in attendances (c.f. Colchester).

• Barnet because I think characters like Martin Allen are good for the game, even if he is a pain in the arse at times.

• Barnet, because they are a good club, local, and my workmate supports them.

• Tricky one but I'm leaning towards Barnet as it's one of those Great Escapes in the fine tradition of Lower league footy.

• Not the easiest of choices I agree. On balance I'd like to see Barnet stay up purely as we have so much history with them, although I do rather like Morecambe as a club, I also fear for them as a club. I think Barnet would be well equipped to challenge for a quick return to the FL whereas I could see Morecambe doing a York and slipping into the National League North.

• Always had a soft spot for Barnet, plus they're just up the road, so Barnet.

• I'm in the Barnet camp too. Close by, lots of players having played for both clubs and some crackers in their, Currie, Devine, Evans, Durham. I quite like the Hive too, very different to Underhill but a good view and facilities and a decent community feel to it.

• Barnet have every chance too don't they.
    Home to the bottom team, while Morecambe are away to Coventry who while 3 points clear of Mansfield, will want to win to see things home.

• Draw at Coventry suits both teams.

Germany-Austria all over again?

• On almost every level I'd prefer to see Barnet stay up except one - if they go down I think there's a decent chance of us signing Akinde, which I'd really like to see. However I think they stay up and, if Martin Allen stays, I reckon they'll win the play offs next year and join us in League One.

• Martin Allen will keep them up then leave for more money elsewhere as per !

• Barnet for me too as Morecambe are on of our bogey teams recently.

• lucky we were not facing Barnet after Allen took over or could have been a different result, seems to have turned them into world beaters from park players.

• @DevC said:
    Draw at Coventry suits both teams.

Germany-Austria all over again?

I was thinking the same the other day. It's amazing how often the teams draw in a situation like this...

• edited May 2018

Euro 2004. Sweden v Denmark. If the match ended 2-2, both teams would go through, at the expense of Italy.

And guess what...

• edited May 2018

May 1977. Coventry City v Bristol City, Top Tier, final fixture. Tuesday night. A draw would keep both teams up.

And guess what...

• @LeedsBlue was that the game that Jimmy Hill announced the result of the other game and as they were still playing Coventry and Bristol City played out the final minutes i n midfield?

• @woodlands I'm not aware of the Jimmy Hill bit, but I believe that Bristol City came from 2-0 down to level at 2-2, and then, as you say, the last 10 mins or so was played entirely in the midfield.

• Morecambe for me as it's a local one.

• @LeedsBlue half way down the page on this link
    www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-digest-day-jimmy-11356276

• @woodlands Seriously dodgy ...

• Feck me, Coventry - morecambe finished 0-0

• According to The BBC reporter at the game Coventry didn't even try to win and they were jeered by their own fans during the match.

• Depressing for Barnet that a draw suited both Coventry and Morecambe. Not exactly a surprise it finished 0-0