Skip to content

Ex players would you sign them back?

Seems like its a big discussion in various other threads. I wonder what the Gasroom thinks. Before anyone says "I think Ainsworth knows better than you" or "there are other players on the market, don't you think Gaz knows that?", I must conceed Gareth Ainsworth does know more than me, it's just a bit of fun.

Poll not found

Comments

• Mike Williamson released by Oxford?

• It amazes me the amount of people who keep throwing Akinde's name around. He's been at Barnet for a long time now, including in non-league, for a reason...

• And he's scored goals whenever he's been fit, often in a poor side.

• And still hasn't ever been snapped up or linked with a move higher?

• I always think Akinde looks a very good player when we're up against him

• I'm sure he was linked with moves before his injury.

• Akinde has 6 goals this year, which obviously isn't great, but a 1:2 ratio for Barnet is really impressive.

I seriously doubt Bayo can play as many games as he did this season without getting injured, or make the same consistantly high impact on games in a higher level.

With that in mind whichever striker we sign isn't going to be a tradininal second choice, if that makes any sense ha.

I'd personally be happy with big John, without being overly overjoyed.

• In pure playing terms, it is bloody obvious that each of those players would strengthen the squad.

What we don't know of course is salary requirements, availability and whether their character now fits the group.

While there are a large number of ex-chairboys likely to be on the market this summer (either for loan or permanent) and as we know them best they are easy to speculate on, in reality it really doesn't matter whether players signed have been here before or not.

• I think I'd prefer young Josh U if the option were there.

• I would have thought that the fact that Akinde isn't out of contract this summer would put paid to any chances of him leaving for Wycombe. I'm not sure we'd have the money Barnet would want for him.

• While Josh U looked decent, he only played about 3 games didn't he?
      And he wasn't necessarily a targetman who is going to win headers anyway.

I'd put Akinde, with his years of goalscoring and sheer brute strength higher up.
      However, while was excellent for us in one loan spell, but I seem to recall a bit underwhelming another time.

• Josh played 7 games for us, scoring in each of his last two. Since the operation on his ankle in October, I can find no record of his having played at all. Despite that, I would be very pleased to see him back.

• sur> @TheatreOfChairs said:

I would have thought that the fact that Akinde isn't out of contract this summer would put paid to any chances of him leaving for Wycombe. I'm not sure we'd have the money Barnet would want for him.

I'd be surprised if he didn't have a non league relegation realise clause option in his contract in Akinde's favour.

• Martin Allen: John could you pop into the office, please
      Akinde: yes boss
      Martin: Are you aware we have been relegated?
      Martin: Are you aware we are playing nonleague next year
      Martin: Good that complies with our requirements under your contractual non league relegation realise clause........

• @DevC
      "Ex supporter would you take them back ?"

HornetDeserter

• @micra , each of his last two!

So 2 games :)

• edited May 2018

I suspect that Akinde is on big money at Barnet which probably puts a lot of sides off signing him. If Barnet go down they may be keen to get him off the wage bill.

• Imagine if the only thing stopping teams signing him was this perception that he's on big money, seemingly based on nothing, bearing in mind they're not a rich team, and haven't done anything for ages!

• To be honest...if we keep the core of our present team I would like to see a few new faces. I know Tyson has been great, but I trust in Gareth to fill the gaps with some new, bright exciting talent or good solid League Oners who we can afford. I would rather not break the bank for a Duberry, etc etc.

• When Barnet were on TV against Luton there was an incredible stat which I now cannot find, of how many goals Akinde has scored for Barnet under Martin Allen, and how many he's scored not under Martin Allen. His record with Maddog is exceptional, without it's not so good.