Skip to content

National League play offs

As you may know, they have a new play off format this season involving 6 teams instead of 4. The advantage is that more teams have something to play for at the end of the season and teams finishing higher up in the table get a much clearer advantage than in the EFL system . Do you think it should be adopted in the EFL?

Comments

• Crucial difference is that it's from second place down. So effectively it's still the aim to finish top 7. To have a chance of promotion after finishing 9th is probably pushing it a bit.

• I think it's beyond stupid. The idea that a team can finish 20 odd points clear of everyone else (bar one) and then still not get promoted (hello 1992), makes a mockery of the league system. Might as well just have a mass penalty shoot out on the opening day of the season and call it a day.

• @drcongo said:
    I think it's beyond stupid. The idea that a team can finish 20 odd points clear of everyone else (bar one) and then still not get promoted (hello 1992), makes a mockery of the league system. Might as well just have a mass penalty shoot out on the opening day of the season and call it a day.

For God's sake don't give the FA ideas!

• Forgive my ignorance, but how on earth does a six team playoff work?

• Bottom 4 play off to meet 2nd and 3rd

• Ta Richie. Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

• just keeps the season alive for more teams, so AFC Fylde who finished 7th could be promoted to the EFL which is pretty cool if you support them.

• If we finish 8th in L1next season and it's in place we would be in favour depends on where you are at the end of the regular season

• edited May 2018

I was definitely not in favour of the reduction in the number of Premier League clubs which forced us to miss out on the Second Division play-offs despite finishing 6th!

• The reason I hate it, is that it makes that division harder to get out of. You could have a crap 7th place team come up, only to go straight back down, while an exiled former league club like a Chesterfield could come 2nd and miss out. I just hope we never find ourselves in that non-league lottery!

• Mind you, I suppose it is no harder for 2nd or 3rd than before, just 4th and 5th.

• Its actually easier for 2nd and 3rd than it was - semis are one leg only at home now.

not convinced I like the idea but change can be good, give it a go for say five years and then see how it works in practise.

• If we were involved in a one-legged play-off I'd prefer to be away these days.

• edited May 2018

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If we were involved in a one-legged play-off I'd prefer to be away these days.

This is exactly what I was thinking when pondering this thread yesterday. The "advantage" of finishing in one of the top two play-off spots would be negated by our superior away record, particularly against the better sides in the division. Looking back on the season, it also dawned on me that we only actually had one win against a top 8 side all season. Carlisle are currently 9th, but I can't remember how we got on against them.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If we were involved in a one-legged play-off I'd prefer to be away these days.

Surely that comment is grist to the LX1 mill?

• Does Rugby League still offer the top rated side in the play offs the choice of who they want to play?
    One legged play off games rather make a mockery of a 46 game season in my opinion.