Skip to content

Best ever promotion?

2»

Comments

• very good point about how lucky we are to support Wycombe though. When you think about the things we've witnessed over the years.

Some very very special days

• The Runcorn game was made even more special because they had a certain K McKenna playing for them. Best pantomime villain ever at AP?

• Before my time I'm afraid but he must have been impressive if he out-pantomime-villained Ellison.

• Classic post derailing from @DevC. I refuse to be dragged in

I think the fact I don't really remember the Saturday home loss in the Conference promotion season tells me I see the Runcorn game as the sealing match. I can still see Guppy's goal in my minds eye as clear as anything.

• To be honest I'd forgotten that we hadn't definitely won the league against Runcorn. It definitely felt like it. I can remember the anti-climax of the Altrincham game though (but I'd forgotten that's who it was).

Bognor was the same although we then won the next game (again can't remember who it was against) and that also felt slightly special.

• I was stood in the carpark at Chievely services on the M4 when the Altringham result came through - certainly felt like an anti-climax after Runcorn. As was the slightly limp final day defeat at home (Macclesfield?). Then again, I think everyone was saving themselves for Wembley a week later.

• @bookertease I'm not sure how many games there was left after Bognor - but I remember a celebration type match at Hitchin. Was there a Loakes Park homecoming after Bognor? If so, I've forgotten it in the mists of time.

• @LeedsBlue There were no home League games after Bognor; we had Hitchin and Dulwich Hamlet in the League with the B&B Cup Final against Aylesbury (at Wolverton) sandwiched in between.

There was a President's Cup final game (versus Barnet) at Loakes Park where the trophies were paraded.

• @LeedsBlue Yes, I'm pretty sure the match at Hitchin was the actual promotion clincher.

I don't think I can really separate any of our promotions, they were all special in their own way, except perhaps the 2009 one under Taylor which had a strange, sour-tasting undertone to it, not really helped by Taylor himself admitting that he'd actually played for a draw.

Not too many have mentioned the 2011 one under Gary Waddock. After the above-mentioned half-hearted affair, for me this one was a real pleasure, in the end winning the game v Southend comfortably after going behind early on. The after-match celebration in the marquee and car-park was good too.

Perhaps the weirdest one, when looked at from a current perspective, was the game against Croydon which clinched our promotion to the Gola League. On a fairly wet (if I remember rightly) Thursday evening in front of a 'crowd' of around 400-500, we beat Croydon amid scenes of great joy for those present, but the sense of occasion was as far removed from what we saw last weekend as it's possible to be.

• Thanks for the clarification on the Croydon game @NewburyWanderer (wasn’t there for that and very little memory of how promotion like it felt - weren’t we third or something and went up by default?).

Also Southend. I remember it of course but don’t really remember the context. Did we have to win or would a draw have been enough? I don’t remember being too concerned when they scored which is most unlike me

• Congratulations on your promotion from a leatherhead fan. Its all gone tits up for us with our manager leaving yesterday and taking half our team with him, but thats non league for you!