Skip to content

Longest Serving Manager

2»

Comments

• Agree with most of that, but i'd suggest Akinde wouldn't be coming here just to be an understudy. It wouldn't be a wild statement to wonder if he's not on more than our players already.

• Pierre. ?

• Definitely take Pierre back.
    We've lacked that sheer heading ability at the back for a lot of this season.

• Northampton are not going to give Pierre away and we don't have the money for a transfer fee. It was reported that he got a massive hike in his wages when he signed for the Cobblers.

He also had a bad injury, will he be fully recovered next season?

• What a magnificent example of patience by the Wycombe board. I am sure finances played a part in Ainsworth staying after the Torquay miracle but I have always been really proud to support a club who gives the manager the time to succeed. What a great decision that was.

I'd take Pierre back in a heartbeat but it has no place in a Longest Serving Manager debate.

• It was indeed Mr Middle. perhaps we should all remember that lesson the next time we lose a few games in a row and the manager of the time comes "under pressure".

I often wonder where we would be now if
    1) rovers late shot had gone in and not hit the bar
    2) Ainsworth had ceased to be manager

fan owned Chester look on the verge of extinction again and Torquay (sort of fan owned for a while) could well go the same way. It appears the National League and its barking finances is no lover of our model. Would we have gone the same way?

• do you also wonder where we'd be if Steve Hayes had built his mega stadium then lost interest in the football club?

• I wonder about lots of things, Eric.

I guess it would have depended on the detail of the finances.

no ownership model can ever guarantee success or indeed survival.

• do you think that promotion feels that bit more special because of the fact that we own the club and that so many fans, whether it be by giving up their spare team to wash seats, tidy the car park, sell programmes etc or donating money, have directly contributed to the success?

not to mention the togetherness and closeness that this has fostered between management, players and fans?

I certainly do

• I think the palpable sense of togetherness between management, players and friends is more a function of the human qualities of the manager than the structure to be honest. There doesn't seem to be similar feelings currently at fan-owned Exeter for example.

that said I have no objections to fan ownership as long as it proves to be sustainable within the football league (midtable league 2 at a minimum would be fine to be honest. doesn't have to be league 1 or even above). The relative success of Exeter and us is perhaps suggesting that it might be, although that sustainability for both clubs will perhaps be more tested when their respective longterm managers leave.

The experiences of Chester, Torquay and before them Rushden suggest that unless and until Conference finances are amended, it would appear to be much harder to survive at that level without significant owner subsidy. but for the grace of god....

• @eric_plant yup and the fact Gareth has finally been able to assemble an attacking team. Certainly better than waiting on the final day to go up or survive on goal difference!

• @eric_plant the club structure is certainly a big part of my own revival of interest. Still had an ST in the Hayes era but often couldn’t be arsed to get in the car and travel the 260 mile round trip.

All promotions are great but I agree that it’s definitely made more special when you know you’ve played a more direct part.

• Getting back on track, I note, following that protracted derailment.

Sustainability seems an eminently reasonable expectation as long as the present management team stays in place but I think Gareth Ainsworth’s departure would herald a sea change in so many aspects of the current set-up that life might never be the same again.

On that happy note...........

• I'd like to think that Ainsworth, whilst a pioneer, is not alone in his style of management. It will be a sad day when he goes but I think the club already has the next man lined up and learning the 'right' way to manage and conduct yourself.

Fear not.

• I think, in the midst of these positive outpourings about our manager we should spare a thought for those angry, tactically astute, mongers of doom Gasroomers for whom promotion has been a very upsetting time. They will have to contend with a large rosy-tinted glasses wearing, unrealistic crowd watching their team on Saturday, queuing at the kiosks, smiling, cheering, clapping and celebrating the fact we will be playing in a higher league next season. Can we all bow our heads and whisper 'Well...he won;t keep us up.' in their honour. I thank you.

• Well said Wendoverman. Some of the social media warriors on another site in particular should be hanging their heads in shame. Let’s just hope that they learn a valuable lesson: a football season lasts for 46 games, not 3 or 4.

• @Wendoverman I give it until October before the ‘no plan B’ brigade start reappearing, accusing realists of being ‘up Ainsworth’s arse’.

Has anyone heard from @TheNixonTapes recently?

• Just resumed what ‘er indoors calls my obsession (well, the biggest of them) and have only just seen @Wendoverman’s latest mini-masterpiece. Superb, sir.

• October is generous.

• Opposition to the "no plan b brigade" will be prepared and ready to counter

• October @glasshalffull ! Have you taken leave of your senses? Doesn't the season start circa August. September at the latest I would suggest.

• 'Bayo won't sign, he's too busy with...oh' 'No chance Tyson will get another...oh' 'No way CMS...bugger' 'Sam Saunders won't...oh what's the point!'