Skip to content

Ainsworth can now rightly take his place

As the second best manager in the league era behind Sir Martin. He has powered ahead now of Sanchez. I wonder if it's time to get him on a new contract before QPR come calling....as an aside the Exeter City fans forum makes interesting reading under a long thread ' an embarrassing day to be an Exeter City fan.' It's all ended up very sour indeed down there.

Comments

• Yes read it too abusing the manager think he will be off.

• I wanted Exeter to come up with us via the play offs but their fans really are a bitter bunch, aren't they. On so many levels.

• Seems to be the way society is now. Everything black or white, no shades of grey.

Having said that Ainsworrh has indeed done an amazing managerial job at WWFC over a number of seasons. Huge bonus that he is such a lovely guy too. we have been very lucky to have him.

• Just reading through Exeweb myself. Extraordinary stuff. For a club that nearly went bust and were playing in the Conference ten years ago you'd think they'd be delighted with a PO final last season and being in the top four this season as well. I used to quite admire Exeter as a club, but Jesus are their fans a bitter, whingy, ungrateful lot, arguably on a par with 'massive club' fans of Luton, Oxford, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Rovers et al who think they have some sort of divine right to be much higher than they are.

I still personally hope they win the PO's, but only for my local away trip and nothing else. I wouldn't blame Tisdale for walking away in the summer, then we'd see how super Exeter get on with a standard lower league manager who doesn't have the same understanding of the club and it's financial limitations.

Makes me proud that the overwhelming majority of WW fans stuck by Ainsworth through the darkest times and indeed we have all now been rewarded by coming out the other side.

• @Jonny_King , you could quite easily say similar for us, and mention some of our fans getting tetchy in periods over the last 2 seasons. The vocal minority will always have their say. I wonder how some of our fans would have taken it if we'd slipped to 4th for instance!

However, with only our 4th promotion as a league club, in 25 years, it's time to simply bask in the glory

• @Malone Do take your point on that one, although like you say it was more of a vocal minority in our case, whereas at Exeter there seems to be quite a split down the middle of their support, maybe not 50/50 exactly, but certainly more than just our handful of moaners.

I gave up trawling through their forum because their negativity was bringing even me down! Towards the end there were posters calling for the forum to be shut down for the good of the club and even people bickering about Northern Ireland (exemplary thread derailment that we Gasroomers can but aspire to!)

Sounds like a very toxic atmosphere at the Exeter game, with abusive chants against Tisdale, players being confronted, smoke bombs being thrown, City fans squaring up to each other and Tisdale reportedly making the 'shaky wrist' sign at the fans abusing him. Not really the sort of momentum you want to be taking into a playoff campaign!

But yes, like you say Malone, let's just enjoy our success and leave everyone else to it. COYB!

• @jonnWow, that sounds insane scenes! More what you'd expect at Chesterfield!

Thank goodness we look in excellent shape. The big players signing up one by one, with hopefully JJ and Paris to follow imminently.
    Wouldn't mind seeing O Nien sign an extension, is he down to 1 year now?
    Should definitely have snuck it under his nose yesterday, he was delirious, would have signed up for 10 years!

• spare a thought for richie as the rosey glasses brigade celebrate a manager he hates...

• @Malone Ha ha, yes we should have! Agree we need to get him on a longer deal and confident one will be offered and signed within due course. Come to think of it, same with Harriman as well, as apparently Southend were sniffing around him before his leg break.

Surprised JJ hasn't already been tied down to a new deal, but pretty relaxed that this will be sorted fairly quickly. Anybody's guess what's going to happen with Sido and Saunders.

• @Malone Paris already has a contract until 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38839704

• They're a strange bunch the Exeter fans. I remember thinking they were lacking class during the 2-1 epic a few seasons back, when they booed and jeered our injured players even whilst being helped off the pitch and down the tunnel.

I saw that someone made the mistake of starting a congratulations Wycombe thread on their forum. It's been met with mixed responses to say the least!

• edited April 2018

@Vital , excellent!

I must have completely misread a couple of chaps on here talking about him missing a couple of games as being a sign he was on his way out -and presuming he was out of contract!

• Hadn't spotted that and popped back for a read. The usual 'cheating timewasters' sobbing, but a good third of the posters congratulating us on going up on limited resources.

• I think the 500 Club 19 should become the 1000 Club to assist funding the players we will require (that is if we join in with enough support).

• Hope they don't even get to the Final now. I would rather Lincoln came up.

• I hope Coventry make it simply because they have had to put up with the pests!