Skip to content

The Opposition View - Chesterfield

Comments

• If that's true about Nicky Law...

• We have to be realistic and it's good to think that our players are more than worth a look at. #What a day!

• If he was there he might be signing up Bloomfield and CMS on that performance.

I don’t think any of our players are Premier League standard.

• There's always a few idiotic comments, and the stand out is always when one of their own fans corrects them.

Muscly bully boy tactics?

Gape, O Nien and Bloomfield wouldn't really make anyone's definition of that. The wingers? No. The full backs? No.

El Abd, Sido and CMS then? Maybe the former, but hardly the latter two!

• It's awful when a team like Wycombe score more goals than teams much better than them, win more games and get promoted, just by cheating and conning poor referees who let them get away with it. Hope that keeps them warm next season.

• That 2 fouls against us statistic from yesterday (according to BBC) is the most surprising statistic all season though

• Have to say that the Spireites fans @fame_46 and I met around the stadium and in the Donkey pub just up the road from the ground were very gracious and congratulatory towards us. Before and after the game, such a fantastic stadium to be hosting National league football compared to our many visits to clubs such as Northwich Victoria, Slough Town, Farnborough, Woking etc. Hope their exile isn't for too long.

• I always felt there was a mutual respect between Chesterfield and Wycombe, for our FA Cup Semi Final appearances as unfashionable third tier teams, within a few years of each other.

• @Wendoverman The gulf between the 'Wycombe are cheats' comments coming from their insular internet echo chamber and those who took us at face value is illuminating. I personally thought the game was played in a good spirit generally, although quality of the football rarely hit the heights. Our hard work, spirit and graft got us the three points today, as they have done in tight matches all season.

• Is it just me, or do the comments of opposition fans who are more appreciative of us tend to be better articulated and spelt, rather than the punctuation-bereft "Wycome r cheeting scum and i hope they go bust"-style invective. Just saying...

• Lot of sympathy for Chesterfield fans I spoke to yesterday pre and post match.

Considering the size of their support and the amount they've had in for players in the last few years definitely something doesn't add up right.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Is it just me, or do the comments of opposition fans who are more appreciative of us tend to be better articulated and spelt, rather than the punctuation-bereft "Wycome r cheeting scum and i hope they go bust"-style invective. Just saying...

It’s the same, bitter rubbish we’ve seen all season from fans whose teams we’ve just beaten. Once you get a label in football it’s very difficult to shake it off.
    Anyway, who cares what they think? It was a wonderful, memorable day/night/early hours of the morning and so well deserved. GA has nurtured a real unity between fans and players and long may it continue. Happy days!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The number of long time football league members who are loitering in the conference and lower shows that it may not be that easy a return.

Barnet v Chesterfield is an intriguing game next weekend, with Morecambe needing to avoid defeat to edge Barnet out.

• Couple of things to add to the intrigue; Barnet are at home and Chesterfield will have had a Tuesday fixture against Newport. Coventry are at home against Morecambe. I have a feeling that Barnet might just achieve the seemingly impossible.

• Quite possible that Morecambe could drop out of the league having done the double over us and conceded fewer goals over the season.

• I also believe Morcambe are the only team outside the top 9 to beat us at all!

• Swindon are 10th, but I take your point @Shev. Good stattage!

• Gah, silly Robins, always undermining me...

• I reckon we should lobby Andrew Howard to arrange a pre-season tour to Colorado so @Shev can show us the sights and we can all (legally) get stoned.

• Ha ha @LX1 - everyone is more than welcome! I will happily drive the team around in a bus painted in psychedelic colours.

• Now THAT might make the script of a classic song.

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    Quite possible that Morecambe could drop out of the league having done the double over us and conceded fewer goals over the season.

A truly astonishing stat that one - they didn't seem like a team that would be anywhere near the relegation places based on their 2 performances against us this season. Would feel sorry for Thommo, Max and even Ellison if they did succumb...