Skip to content

Craig Mackail-Smith Signs

2»

Comments

• @Malone said:

I can't wait till he doesn't get one !!

• I may, after some limbering up, punch the air with delight about the CMS news. A joyous player and a decent chap too.

• Great player who on his day i think is our best player class act and great workt to sign him up again.

• totally agree, class player and if had started the amount of games Bayo has would have scored at least as many goals.

• We’ll need him to lead the line on Saturday but an outside chance that Bayo may be on the bench, primed to perform the kind of cameo role he had towards the end of his time at AFC.

• Sensible post from my mate @rmjlondon, BTW.

• Anyone know off the top of their heads how many matches CMS has played with Saunders behind him? On paper they're such a potent couple - both Championship quality, so intelligent, like a couple of grand chessmasters always seeing two or more moves ahead. Creating space and running into it. I can't remember any matches where that's been shown on the pitch though - is that simply a lack of opportunity? Here's hoping the two of them combine with Tyson on Saturday to smash half a dozen past Chesterfield.

• @aloysius There have been 13 matches this season in which both Saunders and Mackail-Smith have been in the starting line up: 8 wins; 3 draws; 2 losses. That gives a win rate of 62% compared to a win rate of 45% for matches in which they didn't both start.

4 of Mackail-Smith's goals have been scored while Saunders was on the pitch, with the other 6 scored while Saunders has been either on the bench or not in the squad.

• edited April 2018

@Uncle_T thank you so much. That win rate of 62% looks pretty tasty - that would give us 86 points across the season, without including the points from their draw rate, which I make 23% taking us to a points total of 96. Conclusive proof we should also be giving Saunders a new contract?

• of course we should be giving Saunders a new contract

And JJ, and Sido

• We should do everything we can to keep JJ and Saunders. Not so clear with Sido. Got a feeling he may get released.

• In our financial position not sure it is sensible to retain SS who will be on top wages and with his injury record you will be lucky to have him available for half the games.

• @Bluemoon said:
    We should do everything we can to keep JJ and Saunders. Not so clear with Sido. Got a feeling he may get released.

Sido and Sam have both become more susceptible to injury lately but Sam is four or five years older than Sido and has played only four times this year. So my view is the reverse of yours @Bluemoon.

• Saunders must have taken a huge cut to come here in the first place, but it is a real tough one regarding keeping him.
    Has more quality on the ball than our other more industrial centre mids, but cannot be relied upon to play even 60-70% of games.

Sido on the other hand has to be at massive risk for completely different reasons.
    Namely not even being a guarantee to start at right back, even with Harriman having been out for most of the season.
    We'll surely look to bring another centre back in next season too, pushing him even further down that list too.
    I like him though, I'd keep him if possible.

• CMS should have played CF last Saturday to be sure.

• Well, to be reasonably sure.

• to be very reasonably sure