Skip to content

Academy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43804785

I would wonder if we ever do go back to a youth system if it would be worth it considering the Exeter experiences. Although the 5 million they have made in recent sales can’t be sniffed at .

Comments

• I personally think Exeter have done ok here. Whilst the player has made a good start at Chelsea there is no guarantee that will continue. If he does improve, they have the key benefit of 20% sell on. Future £50m transfer fee would mean Exeter get £10m!

• The 5 million sound great but amortise that over 5 years, plus only very few clubs pay big money. The costs I recall were around £750,000 per year, to run the academy. My issue is the lies told to the rest of the squad that are only their to make up the numbers.
    The fair play thing has disappeared, as has the number of home grown player targets. I cannot see how a youth system can pay for itself with the Premier league hovering up talent the don't want just to prevent other clubs having them. I could see an under 18 squad working where we scout the rejects and develop them.

• Delighted for Exeter, its a chunk of change. However how many times do you find a player you can sell for that amount? You cant have a business model based on hoping to find a player.
    Is it possible to argue that Exeter may have a better chance of finding and keeping a player compared to us when we have to compete with teams as far south as Southampton and Portsmouth.

• £750k? I thought it was half that, which sounded a lot itself.

But with fees for players massively capped, how could it possibly work? You'd need to pump out 10 Ibe quality players to get the fee we received for him!

• It works with the potential sell on fees. That is why we got the Ibe windfall.

The ways things are with the ridiculous fees in the Premiership, Chelsea could already probably get £20m for him. That would mean Exeter get another £4m.

• I seem to recall £350k unless I’m confusing that with the sale of the training ground.

• Didn’t I read (on here) that Crewe’s cost nearly £900k per year?

• There must be different level academies for one thing.

We got a big upfront fee for Ibe though, so that would have gone. And can you even ask a sell on fee, or is the small initial fee all you get?