Skip to content

Hypothetical Accrington Question (with apologies)

Here’s another one. If your diety of choice offered you a point against Accrington now, without all the hassle of going to the game and all the tension and with the knowledge that Bayo is out, would you take it?

That would guarantee us going into the last two games ahead of Exeter on goal difference with fairly similar fixtures to come.

Would you be happy with that or feel that we’ve blown a 4 point lead?

Comments

• edited April 2018

I’d most definitely take a point, leaving us needing to win two games to be certain of promotion.

• I’ll take that all day long

• The maths say a 4 point lead would've been blown in that scenario, but the maths don't take the specific fixtures into account. Make no mistake, Lincoln are a hard-as-nails outfit, and Accy have just got promotion. And we have to play them both, at the end of a long hard season, in the space of 5 days, with half a team. Would I take point on Sat? Damn straight! If we then go on to not beat an 'almost certain to be relegated' team, and one who are already on the beach, well the play-offs are all we deserve, to be fair.

• I’m glad it’s not just me then!

• No, I wouldn’t. Positivity wins promotion.

• There's nothing negative about setting up two wins from your last two matches to secure promotion.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    There's nothing negative about setting up two wins from your last two matches to secure promotion.

True but it just then looks like an early play-offs. I'll take it though!

• I think we need to win on Saturday. I think we can too

• @ValleyWanderer except that the 'early play-offs' wouldn't be against teams good enough to make the play-offs. I get the 'can't afford a slip up' pressure of needing to win, though. Damn these hypothetical scenarios!!

Accy clinching promotion tonight may or may not help, time will tell. Will they be off the gas as they've achieved their main objective? Will they be still full on for the title? Will they be better for playing without pressure? A 14 match unbeaten run must end some time...

• If you think about it the whole season is one long early play offs.

• No, I may be a traditionalist but if you’re chasing promotion you should look to win your home games. Reading some of the posts on here you’d think we were in a relegation battle, we’re 3rd in the league for goodness sake, not 23rd! In any case, I’d be surprised if Exeter don’t drop some more points, it’s not often a team wins 4 matches in a row.

• No I wouldn't.

Chesterfield (unless results go very badly this weekend) will be battling for survival. Far from easy to win there.

And besides we are third in the league and at home. Even if Bayo is not fit (not confirmed as far as I know) we can choose six from O'Nien, Gape, Bean, Saunders, Bloomfield, CMS,Tyson, PCH, Williams (less any still injured). That still looks pretty strong to me.

Go for the win.