Skip to content

Lincoln win the Chuckletrade

Let's hope they have a ten day hangover.

Comments

• They deserved to win and will be a very tough nut to crack!! Read should have been sent off though after clobbering their keeper.

• Who cares i despise this tinpot trophy as it's a chance of players getting injured and missing League games.

• Money, money, money.
    27000 Lincoln fans, most of whom travelled 130 miles.
    All matches present an opportunity for players to get injured.

• A chance for lower league players to play at Wembley which means a massive amount to them! Definitely a day when money doesn't matter.

• edited April 2018

Another example of what a load of rubbish this 'League One is a big step up' nonsense is.

• @A_Worboys said:
    A chance for lower league players to play at Wembley which means a massive amount to them! Definitely a day when money doesn't matter.

And there’s me thinking it must be a nice little earner.

• @Right_in_the_Middle, it's notable the people saying how huge a step up league 1 is, had no answer to my stats on the other thread.
    In one line, of the last 16 promoted teams from league 2 - none have been relegated, and only 1 had a close battle to avoid it.

• How about the teams that were promoted in 08-09 and in 10-11?

• @Malone As one of those people (probably) although I don’t think the gap is ‘huge’ I do think there is a difference in quality - although I accept your stats are interesting and don’t support my argument. The four League 1 games I have seen this year also don’t help as they have been pretty poor.

Previous League 1 games i’ve seen (2 or 3 seasons back) did appear to me to be of a better standard than watching Wycombe games so I may be judging it more on then than now (and again your stats don’t support me).

To be honest however I would be disappointed if there isn’t a general step up in quality. Going all @DevC (sorry) you would expect higher budgets to mean better players and better quality of football too.

You missed half the stats out though. To support my argument you would also expect to see the relegated clubs (Port Vale, Swindon, Coventry, Chesterfield) do well, which of course they have... Oh. Okay. I’m talking crap as usual.

• @Chris , I think the last 4 years is plenty of a sample. Of course there will be some years further back that don't support that. That's probably why you've had to go back 7 and 9 years!

• @bookertease , you are correct, I did only analyse league 2 up to league 1. I was slightly surprised myself noone had been relegated in the 4 years. That is hopefully something we can carry on, if we can just get up there!

I was looking through the teams in league 1 the other day, and it'll just be so fresh won't it, playing so many new teams. Should probably stop doing this, as it could easily end in tears again!

• Quite a few away sellouts/near sellouts.
    Imagine - Sunderland! Mind you, it’s not an eternity since we did the double over Manchester City. Did we really do that or am I just dreaming?

• edited April 2018

@malone those two seasons may give a hint as to why Wycombe fans might be more worried about the increased quality in League One than most.

• WWFC have been relegated in each of the last three seasons we played in league 1 and if there, probably would be bookie favourites for the drop next season too.

But not a reason not to hope for a remarkable promotion this season and savour it if it comes. Plenty of time to worry about next season later.

• edited April 2018

Don't start Dev.
    You'll have us relegated before we've even got there

This time we haven't got an owner hijacking the key recruitment period with takeover plans.

• @Malone said:
    Don't start Dev.
    You'll have us relegated before we've even got there

This time we haven't got an owner hijacking the key recruitment period with takeover plans.

Dev might be planning his takeover from the Trust at this very minute!

• Surely self evident that the last three times we played in league 1 we have been relegated, we’ve never made the Championship!

• No club has ever been relegated from League One four times in four seasons.

• @NorsQuarters , i may be knackered after a long day, but i don't follow.
    Surely, "not getting relegated - simply staying in league 1" is a third option between promotion to the champ, and relegation to league 2?

• @NorsQuarters It would be self evident that all our spells in League One have ended in relegation, yes; but not that we have been relegated in each of our last three seasons in League One. We could have finished mid table in between relegations, but didn’t.

• For those who thought we would never get promoted we're already down...it's they way they roll.

• Have I missed something? Promoted? When did that happen?

'Many a slip between cup and lip'

• Never said we were promoted righty ...just that that discussion now seems to be about being relegated from league one. I never count chickens me...

• @DevC which charity are you giving your wildly incorrect losses to if Wycombe get promoted

• @Wendoverman said:
    Never said we were promoted righty ...just that that discussion now seems to be about being relegated from league one. I never count chickens me...

I've been counting chickens for the last few days, as looking after the neighbours' whilst their away on holiday. Always worries me there will be a couple missing when they get back.

• No idea, LX. Come the glorious day (if it ever happens) I will take great pleasure in making a significant donation to a charity of mr Plant's choice. To my knowledge he hasn't decided which one yet.

Should the glorious day not happen. a small consolation will be that mr plant will, I trust, be making a donation to a local charity to me that helps young men (mainly) who have made a bad start in life back into mainstream society.

• @mooneyman I think you're okay once they've hatched. As long as you don't wash them on Boxing Day. Or something.

• @Wendoverman : That’s very LX1ian. Obscurely enigmatic. (And, no, I don’t know Ian.)

• @micra I'll take obscurely enigmatic as a compliment. Or a good name for a band.

• As with many of LX1’s posts, it tickled me even though I didn’t understand it.

Band names can be challengingly obscure. A jazz drummer of our acquaintance was playing at the Cavern Club in (?) 1961 and read BEAT les on the bass drum of the supporting group. He assumed they were French.

Our granddaugher’s current flame plays lead guitar in an Aylesbury based band with the unlikely name of Birthday Card.

By I digress.