Skip to content

Non neutral observers

No doubt most eyes will will be looking towards the Cambridge v Exeter game tmw.

So how about a little thread on games that Wanderers fans have travelled to see that doesnt involve
the Chairboys in hope that one team secures points to help our league position and how you showed your joy or disappointment as the match unravelled.
I will start with this one,
Backon the 2nd April 1983 WWFC, were without a fixture on the same day as Burnham FA vase semi final 2nd leg V Halesowen at the Gore.
Trailing 2-1 from the first leg, Burnham soon found themslves 4-1 down on agg before halftime.
My Father and his friends then decided it would be better to make the very short journey to Wexham Park for their 2nd half in hope that Slough would take points of our title rivals Leytonstone/Ilford.
I remember my Father and his friends couldnt bring themselves to shout the words 'Come on Sough' but vocal cheering
every time our ex Player Dylan Evans touched the ball and a rather muted 'Come on you rebels' was deemed not to have totally committed Football treason.
Fortunately the Rebels won 1-0, and 3 days later, we again made the journey to Wexham Park to see a late Anton Vircavs
trademark powerful header give the Blues a victory in a 3-2 thriller. In which Rebels defender Dave Yerby spent the whole game between the sticks.

Fill free to share

Comments

• I went to Bury v Southend when they let everybody in free, it was mental Ive never seen so many people just dumping cars to get to the match.

• I was at Bury v Southend too. Cheering on the draw but Southend came from behind to win.

• Not quite the same but back in 2006, with Wycombe away at, I think, Peterborough, and safe in the play offs, I managed to get a ticket for the Oxford v Orient game. Orient needed a win to go up, Oxford had to win to stay in the league. The O's won it 3-2 in the last minute as grown men around me wept. One of the most enjoyable non Wycombe games I can ever remember. Even managed to pretend to look like I cared.

• Been to see York City a few times since moving up here if only to cheer on Danny Rowe. The club seems to be in a bit of a state and it can’t compare with Wycombe emotionally but at least it plugs the football sized hole in my heart for a while. I think I feel less guilty about cheering on another team when they’re two tiers below us too.