Skip to content

The Opposition View - Grimsby Town

Comments

• Poor sods hope they stay up the chesterfield/barnet games will be huge 20 games without a win fair play to there fans who made the long trip

• A few choice observations; insightful and generous at times we could do with a discussion on much of this:

orza ivano wrote:
    "Wycombe are a decent side, massive attacking threat with the unplayable Akinfenwa, pace and trickery down the side, competent midfield and two tough centre halves who knew every trick in the book. I'd hate to see the possession stats as they looked threatening every time they went forward and on another day they could've had 5 or 6. We did well to hold the lead for as long as we did and at least we didn't cave after conceded 2 quick goals."

HertsGTFC wrote:
    "...Let's not forget Wycombe are 3rd for a reason, and that's because they're well organised and play to their strengths...”

buckstown wrote:
    "Wycombe get it to Akinfenwa who either wins the header and they win the second ball, or he chests it down and lays it off. The balls in to him were delivered with laser guided accuracy and he does exactly what it says on the tin, highly effectively. Credit to Gareth Ainsworth who has performed miracles at Wycombe on a pitiful budget. He also applauded the town fans at the end which was a nice touch.”

Read more: http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=525464#ixzz5BZOXA4IA

• I wouldn't call any of our passing laser guided, I thought our midfield were second best yesterday especially 1st half. Bean is so limited with the ball at his feet.

• Any positives rmj ?

• @rmjlondon funny how differently we can see games. I thought Gape and 09 were excellent yesterday in their break-up play and passing. Bean did will in the ugly stuff but his creative shortfalls were definitely in evidence. Having midfield 3 against a midfield 5 is always going to be tough but I thought they did really well.
    I am not sure if Grimsby were aware of how ring-rusty Harriman was going to be but they seemed to target our right a lot. Williams was excellent going forward and it was a super debut but he left Harriman exposed a lot and needs to work on that. Tyson is a great role model for that and I hope he sees that and learns.
    As for the rest of their comments I have to agree with our attacking. We are simply going to score and yesterday was no different. Wycombe were losing 0-1 at 60 minutes and were still only 7/2 to win. It was still easy money though

• Personally, from here on in I don’t care how well or poorly we play, what tactics or players we use, how ugly or pleasing our football is on the eye. It’s all about getting over the line.

• its great to see how Adam El Abd has now become abit of a fans favourite his performances since Christmas have been top drawer, he organises and cajoles the whole team even better than Hayes ever did and he was a great skipper.

• Hang the flags out the best football head on the gasroom likes a Wycombe player!

• Is that the same football head who I seem to remember (can't be assed to check) labelled El Abd as useless, slow and a complete waste early on?

• Ive never said that about him

• he's a player, and we've had a few of these over the years, who when he has a bad game has a real shocker. No half measures

He's proved to be an excellent signing over the course of the season though. As do so many of Ainsworth's signings

• Apologies Richie. I should have checked back. What you did actually say was:

“El Abd and Doherty should not be uttered in the same breath, not fit to lace his boots.”

“We lost goals last night because El Abd cant win a header...”

“Lets rotate El Abd out the exit door asap then.”

But that’s reasonably positive for you so I take it all back.

• oh dear

Richie has made an El Abd-solute fool of himself

• @bookertease said:
    Apologies Richie. I should have checked back. What you did actually say was:

“El Abd and Doherty should not be uttered in the same breath, not fit to lace his boots.”

“We lost goals last night because El Abd cant win a header...”

“Lets rotate El Abd out the exit door asap then.”

But that’s reasonably positive for you so I take it all back.

To be fair that was the old Richie. Now he has been re-programmed by his mum there has been a distinct improvement in his offerings.

Hopefully he will provide us with a comprehensive list of the players Gareth will be keeping for next season shortly.

• Well, he's already assured us we'll never see Paris play for Wycombe again, so probably worth sticking a tenner on him to score at Yeovil.

• Richie knows things and has a good football brain so if he thinks Adam El-Abd is shite but top drawer, a fan favourite who should be shown the exit, that's fine by me. It's not like he said Luton would walk this league or anything...

• This was not the kind of discussion I had in mind...

• Much like the bible or the pope, Richie is infallible. Even when he contradicts himself, or the facts appear to show he's totally and utterly incorrect, you are mistaken.

• It's a funny old thing, because though we can cite individuals for their mistooks, and perhaps our goals conceded, as showing they are not really up to it - as a team from tactically inept Gareth to Brownie, El-Abd, Beano through to Bayo they've done much much better than last year. And the games have been more exciting (on the whole) to watch. Good season. I would keep them all for League One, me.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One thing that is still good about Grimsby is the Codalmighty website
    http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6682

This is a fine couple of sentences

"A tight promotion race is like a lovesick teenager, alternating hopeful anticipation with tremulous fear. This feels like waiting in a hospital corridor for the results of some tests."

• Codalmighty is one of my all time favourite reads in football. I'm still hoping that they stay up.

• I think they will stay up if they beat Chesterfield on Saturday.