Skip to content

Match day thread: Port Vale

Comments

• Shame Thompson had to come off, as most likely Paris would have come on for real all out attack near the end otherwise.

Freeman has a lot of potential, and has a lovely gliding, almost slow mo mesmerising style, but he's not ready to do it consistently from the start at the moment.

CMS has a lot of class when he's on the ball, so is always unlucky not to start.

• How about Velcro seams then?

• At least Brown didn't take his time with goal kicks towards the end....hang on a minute!!!!

• He's so used to us winning and really time wasting, he forgot to stop doing it when we need a goal!

• Vale did a number on us today without really threatening in my opinion. The ref was appalling, usual bayo ridiculousness aside, the yellow for Freeman and some of the decisions - for both sides - made no sense. We were missing the last touch to get Freeman and Tyson away but played some decent football at times. Three subs on 64 mins? Dreaming was I? I thought Thompson had a good game, as did moore, sido, bean and el abd. Brownie looked solid. How cms missed those two chances i have no idea and if only market's speculative one had gone in. SK looked sharp as well considering his long lay off. Heigh ho! 7 points from 9 is not a disaster. We just have to beat county that's All!

• Port Vale defended well and made it difficult for us to use the long ball to Bayo.
    Thankfully ooked fairly impotent up front. Despite some decent enough build up around the pitch their shooting was poor and they didn’t seem to have a real goal threat.

Desperately missed O’Nien, who is so effective at turning knock-downs and scrappy play into sustained possession. The three midfielders, without doing anything wrong, seemed too similar to me - good at breaking up play but too much sideways distributions and not enough willingness to break through the lines. I thought we looked more dangerous when Bloomfield came on and got into advance positions.

Could also have done more to get in behind their full backs to stretch the game. That seemed to me to be by far our most effective route toward their goal. Against Vale’s high line we could surely have exploited the pace of Tyson and Freeman in behind?

Not a disaster result but I feel we are going to need to find a way to take 6+ points from our final three home game if we are to achieve automatic promotion.

• Vale have done this all season. Hoped we would of had some research and an answer to this

• I thought Bayolooked knackered from the start,He has played every league game no other player in our squad his age has played every game since Sept. 3 lots if 90 mins in a week. Where's the Plan B?

• I would have took Bayo off yesterday when CMS came on, he needs a rest and go no joy whatsoever in the air against there centre halves.

• Ian dowie was watching the game for sky sports , basically said that we couldn’t get bayo into the game and he was getting a lot of the referee decisions going against him. You would think Gareth would want to change it to plan b not really sure we have on,me, I guess he would rather have a point then be too risky .

• Seems strange that Paris Cowan Hall hasn't played in recent games esp as he had been scoring goals.

• If we don't have a plan B that's poor If Bayo gets injured what then?Great manager he this is Gareth't. Maybe Tyson in the middle . This lack of imagination may have cost us a win

• Is that his Klingon name?

• We did try to build from the back at times yesterday, but Port Vale were all over us in terms of closing us down and making sure we didn't have any space. There was a definite change of tactic in the 2nd half, as Bayo stopped competing for aerial challenges which made the fouls against him much more obvious to the clueless referee.

• Give Bayo an easy tear kit, so when they're trying to take the shirt off his back, they actually do! Try denying shirt pulling when you have a large blue 20 in your hand with Bayo several meters away!

• @niebieski Nice idea, though the last time this was done (deliberately or not) the kit manufacturer didn't come off well.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-euro-kit-puma-de/puma-says-ripped-swiss-shirts-due-to-batch-of-defective-material-idUKKCN0Z61MF

• I wasn't there yesterday but if it's true that there was a deliberate tactic for Bayo to not compete for aerial challenges in order to win a foul then that's remarkable. No wonder we didn't score a goal if every long ball into the box (previous experience makes me think that would've been the vast majority of them) could be dealt with easily by a defender with our target man no longer competing for them.

A more likely explanation, surely, is that Bayo was exhausted and needed a break. Friday will not be a good match to rest him but given the amazing array of options we've got up front it really does surprise me how much of an ever-present Bayo is. I hardly think we'd be nervous to see Tyson or CMS as the man in the centre of the attack every so often.

• Not sure if anyone else saw it that way? But for me, 1st half the defenders were all over Bayo every time the ball came his way, but as soon as it became a tussle the decision went against him. 2nd half when the ball was played to him he often wasn't competing for it, instead he'd hold his hands up in the air to make it obvious to the ref he was being fouled, he then started winning us free kicks in dangerous positions. I thought it was very clever and clearly something that had been discussed at half time.

• Its easy to be critical when it doesn't work, but usually towards the end of games the defenders marking Bayo seem more exhausted than he does, which seems to give more space for the rest of the forwards. I think this is the 'Plan B' option and why he is very rarely taken off.

What we probably need is a Plan C!

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Not sure if anyone else saw it that way? But for me, 1st half the defenders were all over Bayo every time the ball came his way, but as soon as it became a tussle the decision went against him. 2nd half when the ball was played to him he often wasn't competing for it, instead he'd hold his hands up in the air to make it obvious to the ref he was being fouled, he then started winning us free kicks in dangerous positions. I thought it was very clever and clearly something that had been discussed at half time.

I completely agree with your assessment.

• Chesterfield currently two nil up against Notts County. Fingers crossed they hold on.

• I’m watching it and they’re playing very well, thoroughly deserve their lead and County have been poor. Just goes to show how difficult every game can be in this division.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I’m watching it and they’re playing very well, thoroughly deserve their lead and County have been poor. Just goes to show how difficult every game can be in this division.

What channel?

• Sky football channel

• Now that Chesterfield news is unexpected excellent news!

To extend our lead with just a home draw!

• 9 mins added time. Not over yet.

• Looks like it is now. The deterioration in their goal difference could be hugely significant.

• It is now - 3-1 Spirerites.

• fantastic performance and result for Chesterfield takes away yesterdays frustration a bit funnily enough Exeter’s game in hand is against them as well, hopefully they’ll do us a massive favour then as well coyb

• 4 points ahead of Notts County now . COYB