Skip to content

Ballroom Bill

2»

Comments

• @bluntphil the dream team. Three points guaranteed then! (Although you are too far down the Beechdean for me to actually hear...)

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    It would be good to show our support for Bill on Saturday. Maybe a standing ovation or an “only one Bill Turnbull” chant ?

I think this is a good idea and I'm up for this, will certainly join in but we need a chant 'starter', perhaps from the terrace?

• This is horrible news. Bill is a genuinely good guy and the Bill and Phil double act is a real joy. Will be listening to the commentary tomorrow from a few thousand miles away, hope to hear the chants.

• Very well done to whoever on/in the terrace that started the Bill chant. I did join in up in the Frank Adams Q block but nobody around seemed to want to know. Sigh.......he's a brave chap is our Bill.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Very well done to whoever on/in the terrace that started the Bill chant. I did join in up in the Frank Adams Q block but nobody around seemed to want to know. Sigh.......he's a brave chap is our Bill.

That’s really disappointing apart from the terrace most of AP is devoid of atmosphere

• I couldn’t hear in the Frank Adamas Upper what was being chanted until it petered out - soz

• Message for OX66. Phone your doctor and ask again for a blood test if you feel the need. Don't take no for an answer.

• Before kick off yesterday, I recorded a chat with Bill Turnbull for Justin Dealey's 3CR show. We spoke about Wycombe Wanderers being like home, his cancer diagnosis and those cup cakes...

If in doubt, get yourself checked out.
    www.prostatecanceruk.org

• edited March 2018

@micra said:
    I’ve been on Warfarin for at least 15 years and probably had to stop taking them ahead of the biopsy (I can’t recall) but your heart condition is a very different matter I would guess. I clearly recall having to stop taking them for several days before my hip replacement in 2008.

I was on Ticagrelor which was prescribed for a year. On a totally unrelated matter my GP referred to for surgery at Stoke Mandeville during the course of this medication, the surgeon wouldn’t touch me and the Cardiologist wouldn’t let me off them unless it was absolutely necessary.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Very well done to whoever on/in the terrace that started the Bill chant. I did join in up in the Frank Adams Q block but nobody around seemed to want to know. Sigh.......he's a brave chap is our Bill.

I joined in from Block Q too, but no-one around me wanted to join in either :-(

All the best, Bill - get well soon.

• Would have actually joined in the chant if I had heard it. Sadly not a lot of the 'wall of noise' the terrace create makes it to the centre of the Woodlands. I'm sure Bill knows he has our best wishes and hopefully I'll get a chance to say it to him soon.

• We were up for a Bill chant but didn't realise it had started in P until it was winding down.

I've heard it said before but it's true that the accoustics on the away stand are far superior to the terrace. My son, who is trained in such things, agreed, though I stopped him short of displaying the maths involved.

• Deeply honoured to have been on the receiving end of a chant, even if I didn't hear it! Thanks to all those who took part. Always a pleasure to come back to the Home of Chilterns Football, and hope to do it again soon.

• The terrace gave it a good go Bill but, like @niebieski and one or two others in the Frank Adams stand, I only picked up on it as they were winding down.
    We are all united in wishing you all the very best and it is good to hear that you hope to be back again soon.

• The accoustics must indeed be very bad since it was a decent effort on the terrace. I second Micra's good wishes.

• @niebieski said:
    We were up for a Bill chant but didn't realise it had started in P until it was winding down.

I've heard it said before but it's true that the accoustics on the away stand are far superior to the terrace. My son, who is trained in such things, agreed, though I stopped him short of displaying the maths involved.

I would like to know why the acoustics in the terrace aren’t very good. Can anything be done about it?

• We could sing a bit louder, I suppose.

• That’s a tough one @braywanderer. Short of reconstructing and enlarging the home terrace along the lines of the away end (minus seats of course), I doubt whether anything less radical would make much difference but, despite @niebieski’s reluctance to pursue the science with his acoustically trained son, he may be able to offer, in layman’s (and preferably non-mathematical) terms, some interesting insights.
    But I don’t think we should hold our breath.
    The need to replace (or at least repair) the aging Frank Adams stand roof is undoubtedly a higher priority.

• Not noticed that roof. What's wrong with it?

• @HCblue said:
    We could sing a bit louder, I suppose.

I agree we could all sing louder. If the moaners sang as well the decibels would increase somewhat

• We’ve had an injection of youth in the Frank Adams stand since the five for fifty offer (or whatever it was) and there has been a noticeable increase in volume in and to the left of Block Q - the end nearest the terrace.

• I’m not sure what the problem is with the Frank Adams roof @HCblue. And I’ve searched in vain for information. I can only speculate that corrugated perspex (if that is what it is) becomes brittle and breakable after being subjected to the elements for nearly a quarter of a century.

• And the PA system is at the other end of the spectrum. As much as I love Phil’s commentaries I don’t need it that loud for ten minutes before kick off!

• edited March 2018

It's something to do with the slope, sides and roof of the away end acting as a megaphone . I think with the terrace you don't have the same cone effect, also as the slope isn't as steep you're losing a certain amount of sound as part of the sound wave is absorbed by the people in front.

Mic the terrace with amps that go to 11 and huge stacks that make the away ears bleed!

• Finally caught up with the Bake Off episode with Bill. Heart wrenching. A totally decent gent and a message to all us men of a certain age.

• The problem with the Valley End acoustics is that not enough people sing. If they were moved to the other end of the ground, the noise would still be pitiful. No one ever complained about the acoustics when we first moved in and the atmosphere was miles better then than now.

• When we first moved in, there were identical terraces at each end, so the stadium acoustics wouldn’t have been an issue.